• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official Filson Thread - Clothing/Bags Etc

MonkeyFresh

Reaction score
looking at the dimensions for the 258 and thanks to your response Skree, I can safely assume I need to replace my 257 with a 258
Anyone interested in a swap? I'll make a thread in the market sooner or later
I might just wind up buying one in otter green and having the 257 as an alternate although i would hate for it to collect dust

bananananana

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Anyone have experience and feedback on the nylon bags (i.e. saddleback passage)? From pics, it looks sort of cheap compared to the canvas ones, but I do like the shapes and designs a bit more.

js0930

Reaction score
A couple thoughts.

Just got the foul weather jacket in, the discontinued one in navy shelter cloth. My advice to anyone who sees any of the discontinued shelter cloth is just buy it. The quality is unbelievable and the discontinued price is unreal (got mine for $150 shipped).

And question for anyone who has the lined goatskin gloves: do they fit true to filson's sizing or small/large and if you're on the border (my hands measure 8" exactly) should you go up a size?

Wallcloud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aa a life long hunter, imagine how strange it is for me to randomly open a Filson thread in SW&D. I am not saying it is wrong, just seems odd to me. So are tincloth pants and coats whats hot?

the_state

Reaction score
Can the Original Briefcase (256) fit a 13" Macbook? Really looking to pick up one of these...

pFILSON1-2231581_filson1_p275w.jpg

the_state

Reaction score
how do the mackinaw cruisers fit compared to american brands (j crew, gap, etc)?

would 42 fit like a large from these brands?

laughter95

Reaction score
Originally Posted by the_state
Can the Original Briefcase (256) fit a 13" Macbook? Really looking to pick up one of these...

pFILSON1-2231581_filson1_p275w.jpg

Yes. I have one. It fits one moderate to large (2000 pg) textbook plus a mbp, some folders and some spiral bound notebooks. It's one of my favorite things I own.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
Originally Posted by laughter95
Yes. I have one. It fits one moderate to large (2000 pg) textbook plus a mbp, some folders and some spiral bound notebooks. It's one of my favorite things I own.

the 256 fits a ridiculous amount of stuff. steel water bottle, massive book, notebook, 13" laptop, etc.
you will break before it does.

JN41

Reaction score
So if the 256 holds a macbook comfortably is there any need to go to the 257? I'm in the market for one of the two but not sure which to get...

dragonxking

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JN41
So if the 256 holds a macbook comfortably is there any need to go to the 257? I'm in the market for one of the two but not sure which to get...

it depends on what else you want to carry. I can fit a 15" mbp and a couple text books. keep in mind that the 256 isn't padded on the inside, so you'll want a sleeve to cover the macbook while it's in the bag.

the_state

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dragonxking
it depends on what else you want to carry. I can fit a 15" mbp and a couple text books. keep in mind that the 256 isn't padded on the inside, so you'll want a sleeve to cover the macbook while it's in the bag.

is the 257 padded? i almost feel like i can fit an SLR body + lens in the 257. **** is brolic.

Dad Shoes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MonkeyFresh
looking at the dimensions for the 258 and thanks to your response Skree, I can safely assume I need to replace my 257 with a 258
Anyone interested in a swap? I'll make a thread in the market sooner or later
I might just wind up buying one in otter green and having the 257 as an alternate although i would hate for it to collect dust

I personally like having that extra zippered compartment that the 258 offers. The 257 is a great, handy size but I like having the ability to carry more in my bag, so the 258 works for me. With the 257, if I put my laptop and power brick in there, plus my wallet, sunglasses, memory keys, and phone, it makes it crowded should I need to also stuff in a light jacket or extra files. The separate organizing compartment of the 258 allows me easy access to all of the little stuff that would get lost in the 257's main compartment.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dragonxking

my 13" w/sleeve goes in the 256 along with the plethora of other items i listed before

i even went on trip with the laptop, a minolta 7s (lens doesnt come off) in a thick leather case, a wool scarf, and a grapefruit all inside the 256

Fiddy

Reaction score
I can fit my 15" MBP and a 15" Lenovo (each in a padded sleeve) plus power cables and a wireless mouse in my 256. It's tight, but everything fits just fine.

Najee D.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by broken_oracle
basho - I checked every floor of the Belmont location a few weeks ago, no Filson. If I'm in the neighborhood sometime I'll do another wander through though.

Check again. They've got filson bags on the 1st floor and a few filson items up on the third floor. From memory, they've got the wool cargo pants (olive & charcoal), waxed rain jacket, wool bomber, reversible vest, (maybe) waxed pant or overall, and a couple of other outerwear pieces. All the Filson items are currently 20% off there.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads