• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official Filson Thread - Clothing/Bags Etc

basho

Reaction score
FYI, Belmont Army Navy in Chicago carries some Filson. The last time I was there, it was 30% everything as well. They carry single mackinaws, but not double.

Originally Posted by broken_oracle
Was happy to find this thread. I spent much of my youth backpacking, camping, fishing & canoeing around the Midwest and currently work half in the trades, half in the arts. Yet I had never heard of Filson at all until I stumbled upon an incredibly well-made flannel shirt in a secondhand store down here on the southside of Chicago. Had to buy it for the $7 they were asking, even though it was several sizes too large - ended up giving it to a friend. The shirt was new with the tags on; the label said "Filson", I looked that up online, and bingo. Everything should be built that well.

However, no one in Illinois seems to carry Filson clothes or gear [except a small flyfishing shop with limited stock], and so I'm left to buy blind online. I hear their clothes run large... if I wear a size 40R when it comes to your average suit or Carhartt jacket, should I get the size 40 double mackinaw or a 38? Keep in mind I've got some orangutan arms here, and my combination of slim rib cage/wide shoulders/lanky arms has always caused problems with fitting (6' 1.5", 170 lbs, 32w x 34i, 12D shoes). I spend a lot of time outside all winter long, which on the shores of Lake Michigan is none too pleasant - was wearing four layers today, and I'm hoping a coat like this will cut it down to two. Plus it will probably last the rest of my life, and won't look as bulky or haggard as my beat-up N3B parka.

Related: What is Crane's exchange policy, for reasons of size?

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing."

broken_oracle

Reaction score
basho - It appears Belmont Army no longer carries Filson. I had heard they did and & checked at the Wicker Park location, who told me they had none, and to try the main location on Belmont. No luck there either. Crane's - It's an outiftters near Division & Clybourn up on the northside - http://www.chifly.com/

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
re: mac sizing
Im typically a 44 (tall), and got a 44 tall in the single mac. Its definitly sized generously, and on the big side. It looks and feels fine with chunky layers (e.g. heavy knits), and thus works well as a real winters coat, but I could probably gotten away equally good with a 42, and also looked/felt better with less layering. Unfortuntly, Im in Sweden, so exchange didnt feel like an option.

dragonxking

Reaction score
just ordered the 256, and because filson has to install the handgrip, the order has been delayed to the end of the month. i must say, the wait is quite unbearable..
I ordered from Crane's by the way. The SF discount is sweet

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dragonxking
just ordered the 256, and because filson has to install the handgrip, the order has been delayed to the end of the month. i must say, the wait is quite unbearable..
I ordered from Crane's by the way. The SF discount is sweet

We usually carry a few 256s with the handle installed because Filson runs behind occasionally on the customized stuff.

bigbjorn

Reaction score
I hear their clothes run large... if I wear a size 40R when it comes to your average suit or Carhartt jacket, should I get the size 40 double mackinaw or a 38? Keep in mind I've got some orangutan arms here, and my combination of slim rib cage/wide shoulders/lanky arms has always caused problems with fitting (6' 1.5", 170 lbs, 32w x 34i, 12D shoes).
Despite the SF cries of Filson fitting large, I find the double mac I own to fit very true to size. I'm a 40-41R in suits, and a 42R double mac fits fine, with room for a shirt, thin sweater, and mackinaw wool vest or shirt and thick sweater. In short, a double mac is like wearing a giant wool bag - it doesn't taper, it doesn't have any waist suppression, it's very boxy. But it is, in my experience, quite true to size.

randomusername

Reaction score
Anyone know if a Filson Mackinaw Cruiser can be tailored? I just bought mine from Crane's and it fits great other than the boxiness and the collar.

bigbjorn

Reaction score
Shouldn't be any issue tailoring a mackinaw cruiser, so long as you find someone who has an industrial sewing machine and some experience with thick wool. A double mac would be harder to slim down as the cape is a single piece and slimming that down would be very tough.

Rustem

Reaction score
Going to purchase a Tin Cruiser soon, but would like some sizing advice. I'm 6'3" 195lbs with a longish torso, and I like my cuffs to come down halfway on my first metacarpal (first bone of the thumb) when my arms are down. Should I go with a 44 or a 46?

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^You should go with an extra long size, thats for sure.

basho

Reaction score
The Wicker Park location doesn't carry Filson, but the Belmont location does. Go up to the 3rd floor (Army Navy section).

basho - It appears Belmont Army no longer carries Filson. I had heard they did and & checked at the Wicker Park location, who told me they had none, and to try the main location on Belmont. No luck there either.

Crane's - It's an outiftters near Division & Clybourn up on the northside - http://www.chifly.com/

broken_oracle

Reaction score
basho - I checked every floor of the Belmont location a few weeks ago, no Filson. If I'm in the neighborhood sometime I'll do another wander through though.

meanwhile I went ahead & had a size 40 double mac ordered from Crane's, using that great SF discount (thanks!). Apparently Filson got backordered over the holidays though, and I won't be getting the coat until the end of February at the earliest. Unfortunate, as I'd hoped to have it for working through the worst bits of this winter.

As for the sizing issue, I decided to order the size 40 coat after picking up a size 40 Mackinaw vest on the last day of a post-holiday sale at Midland USA - it was the smallest size they carried. A steal at $59, it fits true to size when worn over a flannel and thermal undershirt. Able to wear it under my size 40 Carhartt Duck Detroit jacket comfortably, plus like the jacket it's just short enough not to interfere with a tool belt. Warm enough I ditched the coat working outside today in sloppy 30 F weather.

airportlobby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I posted this on the Crane thread, but then realized it's probably better placed here:

Crane or anyone - trying to decide between the jackets (mostly considering Weekender and Outfitter). As a 40, would I be able to wear a shirt and shirtjac or heavy sweater underneath a M? Are these two jackets about the same weight/warmth? Thanks all.

MonkeyFresh

Reaction score
Does anyone know how big of a laptop a 258 Filson brief case can fit? I have a new 15.6" laptop and it barely fits with the rest of my stuff in my 257. I was hoping the bigger size of the 258 could accommodate my new laptop (plus iI like that it's padded).
Also, depending on the answer to my question I'd be willing to trade my Tan 257 for a 258 (preferably tan but otter green will do as well, and maybe brown, I'd have to think about it)

Skree

Reaction score
My 258 fits my 15" Thinkpad with some room to spare, I'd think you'd be all right with a 15.6" in there.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads