• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official Filson Thread - Clothing/Bags Etc

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
not sure if theres an official Filson thread already. i looked around and didnt seem to have one around, although arguably Cranes is the official Filson thread
smile.gif

so i purchased a filson mackinaw wool vest in gray from cranes last season

http://www.filson.com/product/index....069837.2118239

now that its getting a bit cooler i was trying to wear it but was wondering if anyone had ever tailored them to be a bit slimmer?

I know that these were not meant to be that way, but i love how it looks, just wish it wasnt so billowy and wide around the torso. so thinking of taking it in ... thoughts?

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
no one has thought about tailoring a filson wool vest or jacket?

van_hammersly

Reaction score
Neat thread. I picked up a 256 briefcase in tan (cause the apolis x filson was wayy out of my price range) and I love it. I might pick up some filson gloves soon.

JMK

Reaction score
I own the Mackinaw Cruiser, duffle bag, and the Guide Sweater. All top notch.

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting thread. I have nothing to add other than I wish this thread much luck in winning out and providing more posts than the Gap Chambray Shirt thread. Godspeed.

korce

Reaction score
I have a Mackinaw Vest in gray (among other Filson items) and mind fits quite well. A little boxy in the body, but not billowy. I did size down though (bought a 36 instead of 38).

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by korce
I have a Mackinaw Vest in gray (among other Filson items) and mind fits quite well. A little boxy in the body, but not billowy. I did size down though (bought a 36 instead of 38).

yeah boxy would have been a better description. its just if you are wearing a slim oxford/shirt underneath it is just kind of a bit too wide.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Perfect.

Another thread to clutter up the front page I need to ignore.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a thread i started in the mens ware section on filson bags with pictures:

it was nice too actually see other bags with patina.
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=133759

Originally Posted by randomkoreandude
not sure if theres an official Filson thread already. i looked around and didnt seem to have one around, although arguably Cranes is the official Filson thread
smile.gif

so i purchased a filson mackinaw wool vest in gray from cranes last season

http://www.filson.com/product/index....069837.2118239

now that its getting a bit cooler i was trying to wear it but was wondering if anyone had ever tailored them to be a bit slimmer?

I know that these were not meant to be that way, but i love how it looks, just wish it wasnt so billowy and wide around the torso. so thinking of taking it in ... thoughts?

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
cool ... i like the pics. i just noticed that all of those filson bags have that leather snap enclosure for the handles. i wonder why the apolis x filson bags did not do that as well?

van_hammersly

Reaction score
cool ... i like the pics. i just noticed that all of those filson bags have that leather snap enclosure for the handles. i wonder why the apolis x filson bags did not do that as well?

the apolis x filson is based on the 256 which doesnt have the strap. But it can be installed at extra cost when you order it.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my opinion the Mackinaw vests fits very nicely, but I guess boxy would be descriptive aswell. I have one in black/gray plaid and also a khaki poplin (?) hunting vest (which however is on the too large side). Furthermore, I got a Mackinaw jacket, but I have yet to try it on, as it was shipped to my parents place. All in all, love filson, and would own alot more if I didnt have to order from the US...
On the pick up list is some dry Tin pants, and some kind of hat.

iDoc

Reaction score

Originally Posted by van_hammersly
the apolis x filson is based on the 256 which doesnt have the strap. But it can be installed at extra cost when you order it.

Sent my Apolis x Filson 256 back to Filson to have the handgrip installed for $20- includes parts, labor, and return shipping.

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iDoc
Sent my Apolis x Filson 256 back to Filson to have the handgrip installed for $20- includes parts, labor, and return shipping.

wow thats great ... how do you do that? contact filson directly?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads