• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

new designer in menswear doing research (*US patented dress shirt collars*)

jkennett

Reaction score
I do agree that Valentino does have superb personal style. I don't think Eric Glennie will ever make enough cash off his little fashion experiment to afford the Anderson & Sheppard suits that Valentino wears, but a fashionable photo and improved grammar would go a long way on improving his general image online. On another note, this whole thread is absolutely hilarious as I've read through it and I'd have to agree that these are perhaps the most unappealing clothes I've ever seen. The jeans remind me (in a bad way) of some I wore as a young teenager when I would step all over the back of the overly long jeans until they became a torn asymmetrical mess. If there is a reason why the "Daily News Record" is no longer daily it is because of articles like the one comparing him to Coco Chanel.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I always heard ole Valentino sported Caraceni (of course, like a true dandy, he probably frequents more than one place).
wink.gif

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
This thread always gives a smile to my face.
smile.gif
aaaahhhhhh.......

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think this designer is one ad in Classic Style away from making it big.
smile.gif

eric glennie

Reaction score
Thanks TCN. I am posting my first ad in the LA Times sunday 8-19 edition of "IMAGE". I am hoping for my first big break and get discovered. There has to be a stylist, actor, movie studio, and celebrity looking for a new style to wear out.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by eric glennie
Thanks TCN. I am posting my first ad in the LA Times sunday 8-19 edition of "IMAGE". I am hoping for my first big break and get discovered. There has to be a stylist, actor, movie studio, and celebrity looking for a new style to wear out.

TCN was being facetious. In case anyone was wondering if he (EG) truly is THAT dense, here is your proof.

Jon.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ nothing says visionary couture like a polar fleece half-zip and a medium blue washed denim jacket.

eric glennie

Reaction score
Good Morning Rach2. Unfortunately, the only thing todays designers have to sell is their image and logo. There is little variety in todays clothing and if it wasnt for the pretty logo , catchy phrase, or label on the collar you would never know what you are wearing. I am truly a fashion designer who doesnt need a fancy logo or label. My designs speak for themselves and eric glennie designs is selling innovation, not imitation.

As far as my website, my purpose was to get my product in front of the world. I dont have a lot of money for a fancy website yet. I am a blue collar guy who has to be patient , save my money, and be frugal. I waited many years to get my product to the public and I debated whether to keep my ideas hidden in my basement closet. However, I felt someone in the world might be interested in some new ideas, whether I make the money off the deal or not. I am not a selfish person and I hope you enjoy seeing something new. I want to bring a smile to some faces, but it seems like i have drawn a lot of frown. Sorry if I am ruining some of your days and I apologize if my designs are offensive. thanks again Gentlemen for all you comments. Peace , not war. EG.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, the only thing todays designers have to sell is their image and logo. There is little variety in todays clothing and if it wasnt for the pretty logo , catchy phrase, or label on the collar you would never know what you are wearing.

Please forgive me if I reiterate something i said on the first page of this thread:
Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
I don't mean to be a jerk, you have no idea what youa re talking about.

you keep mainataing that there is nothing but logos to differentiate the world of menswear. Have you considered that maybe there are people who can tell the difference between, say, a Kiton and an Oxxford? Do Your Homework

TheHoff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For those of us who don't read the Times, can you post an image of the ad you're going to run? As a prospective customer, I like your designs but I want to make sure other people will be wearing them as well. Thanks!

CBDB

Reaction score
...but some of you are very phallically fixated on my one collar.

No, not actually, the threat seems more vulva oriented.

MORE VAGINAS. WE WANT MORE VAGINAs
laugh.gif
....and of course their labial and clitoral cohorts.

This threat has really "batted one out of the park" in so many ways.

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good Morning Rach2. Unfortunately, the only thing todays designers have to sell is their image and logo. There is little variety in todays clothing and if it wasnt for the pretty logo , catchy phrase, or label on the collar you would never know what you are wearing. I am truly a fashion designer who doesnt need a fancy logo or label. My designs speak for themselves and eric glennie designs is selling innovation, not imitation.

Eric, this forum is mainly based around traditional men's clothing. We like suits, ties, and OCBD shirts.
smile.gif
We aren't looking to be flashy or whatever it is you are selling. We just want to look conservative and classy. And not to mention masculine. As soom have said, those ****** looking collars don't do much to help with the burly factor we all need.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Please forgive me if I reiterate something i said on the first page of this thread:

I don't mean to be a jerk, you have no idea what youa re talking about.

you keep mainataing that there is nothing but logos to differentiate the world of menswear. Have you considered that maybe there are people who can tell the difference between, say, a Kiton and an Oxxford? Do Your Homework

I'm with you, Phil.

Anyway, Eric, I really do wish you the best of luck in your endeavor and don't mean to sound overly negative (although there isn't a lot positive to be said at this point). Fashion may look like a lot of fun, but it's a notoriously vicious and fickle industry. You seem to feel you have a certain idea or approach, but have neglected to realize (or study) that the industry you are trying to "change" is massive, powerful, and works completely in a different way than you think or seem to have prepared for. You seem, in some ways (with your patents and such) to feel like fashion is a market to be "cornered" while in fact, it is really an artform in which borrowing, adapting, modifying, and being very knowledgable about the rest of the industry and its practices is of critical importance.

Menswear is currently seeing a HUGE amount of change, innovation, and a wealth of choices that we just didn't have a decade ago. Get out there and enjoy some of that, explore it, see what is there and what is lacking, and then maybe you'll have something.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads