• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

new designer in menswear doing research (*US patented dress shirt collars*)

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
wow, he wasn't kidding. Fall 2006, page 14:

Glennie1.jpg

Gelnnie2.jpg

Glennie3.jpg

Glennie4.jpg

this is why i no longer read magazines.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by caelte
Eric,

I appreciate what you're trying to do but you should know:
when someone puts in "patented shirt collar" on a search engine, this thread will come up, with all it's comments.

There are fashion editors who read the SF.

Menswear is about evolution in very small increments.
Even small innovations are viewed as radical.

I sell really well to a luxury market that buys all the goods talked about on SF.
Yet, only two individual from the SF , that I know of, have what I make.

In the SF, what I do is about as popular as a radical collar design, but, unlike you, I'm not here to make a sale or convince anyone.

The SF is alot of fun and you can learn alot but, your not doing well.

Your on the ground getting your ass kicked.
Seriously, get up or get out before your reputation is destroyed.

Actually, this is excellent advice for you Eric. I join those who have wished you well but SF and AAAC are the wrong audience for your collars. Face it, you'd be better off trying to sell us starched detachable collars.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
Eric, I feel really sorry for the criticism you have had to endure on this thread.
After reading this:
Originally Posted by eric glennie
thanks gentlemen for all your lovely responses. if you can get your genitalia out of your heads and knuckles out from dragging in the sand, i hope you might like the newest designs i posted on my website www.ericglennie.com. tell me what you think about my side-bar collars, rear-bar collars , and spliced neckties. does this calm you crazed apes and hopefully speed up evolution. thanks eric.
I stopped feeling sorry for this guy.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator
I like it too. It reminds me of this tie:

thomas_mann.jpg

I think it would work well with morning dress.

I wouldn't wear it with morning dress...too casual for my taste. Morning dress, as utilized nowadays (at least in the US), is extremely formal. Nevertheless, that's a great pic. Who is it?

Actually, this is excellent advice for you Eric. I join those who have wished you well but SF and AAAC are the wrong audience for your collars. Face it, you'd be better off trying to sell us starched detachable collars.

Well, I think only a couple around here would actually buy them...but then, that proves your point, doesn't it?!

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
After reading this:

I stopped feeling sorry for this guy.

In all fairness, SF members swung first, and they swung hard.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jared
Solaris (done well):
37.jpg

I haven't seen Solaris. It appears as if there is a scene in which George Clooney masturbates while watching PeeWee's Playhouse?

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hint:

I wrote Tod in Venedig.

Aaah, you just prevented me from showing off by saying that I knew who that was...
Well, just for the record: I do.

Infrasonic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Right click;properties will get you the same result....
smile.gif

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You know what, I bet if Jason released a shirt like this on Thick as Thieves we'd all be a bit more willing to consider it. We wouldn't buy it, but we'd probably at least take it more seriously and not turn it into the laughing stock of the century. Unfortunately, the chuckles directed in Eric Glennie's direction are his own fault. His website is terrible and his reputation is laughable. When you put up those awful 1980's glamour shots on your website with those terrible Goodwill suits and ties, how can you expect to be taken seriously. I once met a lady exactly like him. They actually believe in what they are doing, but yet are so far off that to everyone else it is a bad joke. I would liken it to seeing a dog get run over repeatedly: you know you can't do anything about it, but you kind of just keep on watching (not happily or anything). The lady I knew was putting together a magazine for the "high class" but the grammar was awful and the graphics looked like something al-Jazeera would put out, all blurry around the edges.

All that said, I didn't think the lady with the African magazine deserved a break, and I sure as hell don't think Eric Glennie deserves a break. Everything he has done and said in this thread would have earned him nice kicking ********** where I live.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by xchen
the graphics looked like something al-Jazeera would put out, all blurry around the edges.

I really think you are underestimating the production values of Al-Jazeera. It isn't some clip-art samizdat broadcast you know, its an international, multi-billion dollar cable franchise. There's Al-Jazeera Sports, Al-Jazeera English. etc. It's just as slick as CNN, BBC or Fox.

Patrick06790

Reaction score
...does this calm you crazed apes and hopefully speed up evolution. thanks eric.

I like this flourish. A little Hunter S. Thompson-y. Watch the galloping adverbs, though, E-Man.

Merckx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
looks like a spread collar to me. please enlighten me on the diffence between a cutaway and spread collar. I would like to get the expert point of view.

hello joel cairo! i appreciate your point of view and these collars arent for everyone. my collars are about looking different in a crowd. the psyche of the man's wardrobe is to run with pack and look the same. obviously , you are happy wearing the same penguin suit as everyone else which is fine. please enlighten me your definition of cut-away collar.

thanks gentlemen for all your lovely responses. if you can get your genitalia out of your heads and knuckles out from dragging in the sand, i hope you might like the newest designs i posted on my website www.ericglennie.com. tell me what you think about my side-bar collars, rear-bar collars , and spliced neckties. does this calm you crazed apes and hopefully speed up evolution. thanks eric.

Nice. Arrogance and condescension, good combination. You'll go far.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
how many times do we have to say this - The NBA plus Michael Irvin is your only hope. But you can make big bucks this way. To sell an atrocious collar custom shirt in size 18X46, you could charge $300 for a shirt like that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads