• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm worried about these photos for a number of reasons. They could be from early 1970, as captioned, which was roughly when a supply of MA1 jackets came into surplus stores round our way (though not with orange linings, not in that batch anyway). On the other hand, they're too 'posed', too much "Now lads, stick on some skinhead 'attitude' for me!"

Look at these two...

... there have been some clothes swapped round for effect, and a crombie has appeared and disappeared. That's just too damned contrived for my liking. I can see that the car at the side of the road (in the photo I haven't copied into this post) is roughly the right era, but again that might have been contrived.

As far as the book is concerned, we'll look silly if we include anything that isn't from the era and claim that it is, so I think we always have to err on the side of caution.

Nice shades, though.

Last edited:

Spirit of 89

Reaction score
Thanks MoM. Ray Bans aren't insanely priced but at around $100 (give or take)...still way more than I'll pay for sunglasses. I lose em too often. I'll stick with my cheapy roundish lenses for now til I can find something suitable.

Last edited:

Gsvs5

Reaction score
Just out of interest the previous image (Numerically) is this one:
The wine shop is showing Gilbeys Gin at 49'3 .So it puts it pre Decimalisation (Feb '71) if that's any help?

Gsvs5

Reaction score

buttons

Reaction score

Fries with that?

I still stand firm about what I said.
Its 'posed' because its taken by a 'proper photographer', who'll set up a few poses, probably take a couple of films worth and release the best ones.
The clarity is also there because its taken on a decent expensive camera and not on a Brownie or a Kodak Instamatic like most pics from the time.

I'm sure if you google a few things about MA1 jackets, there'll be loads of historical sites telling you what details came out when. I haven't got time to look at the minute. My one's '66 I think and has an orange liner, as is Roy's. The US and British army often put issue dates in garments so they could keep a track of stock etc, so unlike almost any other piece of clothing, you get a tag inside that tells you the age, without having to figure it out for yourself. But as mine and Roy's doesn't prove anything, maybe these will help ....

The top picture is from the Man Alivedocumentary in '69.
They had orange liners in early Vietnam and Korea and they're the ones the skinheads would have been buying in the Army Navy stores.

There's no way those pictures are from '79, 80 or '90s or nowadays.

Hat still on the menu.

buttons

Reaction score

I'm worried about these photos for a number of reasons. They could be from early 1970, as captioned, which was roughly when a supply of MA1 jackets came into surplus stores round our way (though not with orange linings, not in that batch anyway). On the other hand, they're too 'posed', too much "Now lads, stick on some skinhead 'attitude' for me!"

Look at these two...

... there have been some clothes swapped round for effect, and a crombie has appeared and disappeared. That's just too damned contrived for my liking. I can see that the car at the side of the road (in the photo I haven't copied into this post) is roughly the right era, but again that might have been contrived.

As far as the book is concerned, we'll look silly if we include anything that isn't from the era and claim that it is, so I think we always have to err on the side of caution.

Nice shades, though.

Of course its contrived - its a photo shoot. Its not a bunch of lads, just hanging around.
Different jackets for different effects - why not? Its a photo shoot.
Not one piece of un-original clothing in sight.
You'd be unlikely to see that lad's longer hair cut in the revival, or that bird's suit or various other items / combinations.
Original oxford weave Benny, rip off Smedley, fly fronted Mac, zip fly Levi's 502, 60s sta press etc etc.
Now, I know, you'll find all that and more round my house, having been a skinhead for the last 30-odd years, I can't think of a time when you'd get a group that big, all dressed completely original and without them all being in the expected cliche skinhead look. If there are any pics, I'd love to see them.

*******, I'll eat two hats!

If you're worried about them looking too good for the book, use this one - it looks grainy and **** so must be original.

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I still stand firm about what I said.
Its 'posed' because its taken by a 'proper photographer', who'll set up a few poses, probably take a couple of films worth and release the best ones.
The clarity is also there because its taken on a decent expensive camera and not on a Brownie or a Kodak Instamatic like most pics from the time.

I'm sure if you google a few things about MA1 jackets, there'll be loads of historical sites telling you what details came out when. I haven't got time to look at the minute. My one's '66 I think and has an orange liner, as is Roy's. The US and British army often put issue dates in garments so they could keep a track of stock etc, so unlike almost any other piece of clothing, you get a tag inside that tells you the age, without having to figure it out for yourself. But as mine and Roy's doesn't prove anything, maybe these will help ....

The top picture is from the Man Alivedocumentary in '69.
They had orange liners in early Vietnam and Korea and they're the ones the skinheads would have been buying in the Army Navy stores.

There's no way those pictures are from '79, 80 or '90s or nowadays.

Hat still on the menu.

I have just looked at 'Icons of Men's Style' by Josh Sims and it states that 'Further revisions were introduced in 1963 [to the MA-1] : for flight crews the sage green lining was replaced by one in bright orange - known as Indian or rescue orange...'

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like MoM my first thoughts were the pics were 1979 / 80 but I can see nothing in the clothing or in the backgrounds that actually supports that view.

The knitted top is very much like one I had in 1966 (mine was red with silver grey stripes on one side only) and the one in the pic is getting longish in the tooth - collar points show some colour loss and wrinkled placket. So this suggests late 60s.

The reddish checked shirt is pure 1969. I had one just like it. Buttons will know of the make I'm sure.

The (looser) cut of the clothing also suggests 1960s.

I thought the British Rail logo may have helped but, having checked, it was introduced from 1965....

Last edited:

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads