1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. roytonboy

roytonboy Senior member

Thanks for the link, gabriela, I enjoyed browsing.

2. Mr Knightley

Mr Knightley Senior member

Quote:I agree, cerneabbas, about the way it all looks to us today – very dated and not really in a good way. I know I am a terrible snob and you will recall I have previously complained that, even viewed at the time, a large gathering of skinheads was not often a pretty sight! As today, people interpreted casual as f***ing scruffy – dirty boots, sta-prest turned up in the most amateurish fashion and pilling knitwear…..That sort of thing. My own dress often fell short of the standards I set for myself. But every now and then, of course you would spot a boy or girl that looked ‘just right’ and that was a thing to behold. Gill Evans is the former ‘Continentalist’ from Birmingham (and she certainly would have been in the latter category) and I shall ask her the question. She may have a view on it.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  3. Mr Knightley

4. Mr Knightley

5. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

browniecj.I wont go into the whole story of that day,but I did feel sorry for the lad,he just tagged along with his mates and was totally unprepared for a day ( and an evening,as it was an away game) of violent incidents.I saw one of his mates years after and he told me the lad still talked about it.
    BTW I looked on that Ballroom Blitz site and there was a bloke on there wearing one of those Argyle slipovers in white and black,started me thinking was there cardigans in that design as well?

6. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

elwood,That explanation of football violence was by John Clarke,I think that it over simplifies things but maybe it was one of the reasons.
    I have a book The Roots of football hooliganism an historical and sociological study ,which if you see it cheap on e bay is worth getting IMO,a bit dry but well researched and a fair bit on the skinhead period ( and much earlier).
    That's a nice scarf,nice to have something that you wont see anyone else wearing.

7. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

8. elwood

elwood Senior member

Thanks, Mr. Knightley. I'm very pleased with it. Looking at the design with those stylised horses it might be late 50s/ early 60s.

9. elwood

elwood Senior member

Thanks, cerneabbas. Good to know I hadn't dreamed it. I'll look out for that book. Another one I recall is "Folk Devils and Moral Panics" by Stanley(?) Cohen. I think there's material on skinheads in it. I believe he died recently and didn't he appear in one of those early 70s TV documentaries (was it the one about the Newcastle lads) that's been linked from here to YouTube?

As I said to Mr. Knightley, I'm very pleased with the scarf. Tootal's always a nice link to Manchester for me; reminds of the wonderful old building on Oxford Street (Manchester) tho' the colour of the scarf means I wouldn't wear it to the football :D

10. Little Queenie

Little Queenie Senior member

As Roytonboy knows, I'm friendly with the lad in the Blues & Soul article: he was a good friend of Dave Godin and he pronounces it Go-din.

11. bunty

bunty Senior member

Lovingly relieved from The Mod Generation -

[​IMG]

Off to Mojo Sheffield allnighter in my made to measure tonic mohair suit. (Gary Maxton)

[​IMG]

Morning after an allnighter (Gary Maxton)

[​IMG]

Newquay Aug 1966 (Gary Maxton)

At first glance I thought the middle 'photo-me' pic was from the '80's.

Bottom pic - I can't make it out on this small screen, are they Riders or Chelsea boots?

12. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

Fabulous pics (Bunty !) and posts by all the Originals and co (aka The firm) in the past few days. So there is still a lot of things to come up i guess. Thanks Browniecj for the historical details on FP and sharkskin suits (etc.), and that's just one example of what' so interesting in this thread for 60s lovers. As usual the recollections of you all are great !

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
  13. elwood

elwood Senior member

Thanks, Little Queenie. I think that link to the man himself makes that fairly definitive?

14. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

Elwood, that is a beauty Tootal. Can't say I've seen that one before, great colours too. I'm sure Maine Road or City of Manchester or ? hasn't seen it! I'm going to take a pic or two of mine and share

Just back from 4 days in Thurlestone, Devon with the boys, golfing. (Drinking!) some chat about the old days till the early hours great till the next morning. We had a chat about crombies and harringtons. Don't know what happened to my crombie

Bunty, that looks like a killer suit, v impressive. You'd certainly have got noticed round our parts. :nodding:

15. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

I would say they were Chelsea boots.

16. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

A bit like De-ath and Death really.......:D

17. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

I used to be involved in a Weekender in Gt.Yarmouth.The "Deep Room" was run by Dave Godin.I never heard Dave being introduced as Dave Go-din-so it must be "different strokes,for different folks".I never spoke to him as he made "Deep Soul" as boring as f*ck.His interpretation of it anyway(he would have a talk about the subject-before the music started.Most People walked out then went back when the music started.:)

18. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Senior member

At 3.35 minutes DG is mentioned.

I have spent the past 40 odd yrs mentally pronouncing it God-in ! He 's since passed away,do you think he'll mind if I carry on ? It' like a Mondegreen I can't shake off.

19. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

My humble Tootal collection

Red dot and blue dot get all the wear

[​IMG]

20. Botolph

Botolph Senior member

Nice stuff! Any of them have the wool backing or are they silk on both sides?