• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Aces and Eights

Reaction score

Patrick Rust, 2nd officer on the P80 showing tattooed chest & arms 1938

This was typical of the WW11 generation that we copied our tattoos from in 69

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

[SIZE=9pt][COLOR=464E54]Patrick Rust, 2nd officer on the P80 showing tattooed chest & arms 1938[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=9pt][COLOR=464E54]This was typical of the WW11 generation that we copied our tattoos from in 69[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Love the old SailingShip Tattoo.

Gsvs5

Reaction score

I vividly recall my surprise when I moved from the Midlands to the South around '72 at the number of Tattood lads. Back in the Midlands none of my mates had any.In the South I put it down to Pompey and Soton being seafaring towns and the lads emulating the elders.i suppose the same could be said of the East End.i have a love / hate feeling about them,specifically on women.there's some incredibly beautiful/sexy youg girls extensively covered,that I admire.There are also a number of very unattactive Grandmothers sporting Hearts and flowers that have long ago wilted. [SIZE=9pt][COLOR=464E54]Patrick Rust, 2nd officer on the P80 showing tattooed chest & arms 1938[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=9pt][COLOR=464E54]This was typical of the WW11 generation that we copied our tattoos from in 69[/COLOR][/SIZE]

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not too many on a Woman,I am afraid-bit old fashion that way.In saying that my Missus has a few!! :)

dist1

Reaction score
What's the quality and fit of Relco-branded shirts?

I'm in the market for some gingham-patterned shirts without spending too much (I'd go Ben Sherman or FP but the price and postage to my country makes it too expensive).

stilts121

Reaction score

What's the quality and fit of Relco-branded shirts?

I'm in the market for some gingham-patterned shirts without spending too much (I'd go Ben Sherman or FP but the price and postage to my country makes it too expensive).

Frankly, they're ****. Poor fit and they'll pill up on you pretty quickly.

Basset

Reaction score
Thanks for the contribution Brownie. I think I recall you mentioning the crosses a while back. That's not unusual though at all nowdays either. I get all kinds of wannabe thugs that get cross tattoos as though somehow getting them will 'set them right with the Lord' or negate the fact that most of them are drug dealers and low-life criminals. In keeping with the skinhead theme I figured I'd post a couple skinhead themed tattoos I've done over the last couple years:

Not skinhead per se....but done on a skinhead buddy of mine and many skinheads do have an affinity for CO....

This one is pretty self explanatory hopefully
tongue.gif

In real-life her head isn't quite as bulbous...it's on my buddy's thigh and I had him sit down to take the pic so I could get the whole tattoo in-frame.

****edit to Brownie**** I didn't mean to imply that your crew were 'wannabe thugs'...just the fact that people still get stuff on them that sometimes runs contrary to their actual 'beliefs'. I for one am of the mindset that tattoos don't need a meaning behind them. They should just look cool
smile.gif
nothing wrong with getting 'personal' tattoos....but they don't all have to have a deep meaning.

Thats some good work there mate

Basset

Reaction score
I do agree with the comment from browniecj about not being able to justify buying a suit,its not that i cant afford one,its more that i dont think i would ever wear it.i have been thinking recently about how older blokes used to wear a sports jacket and trousers for a smart look when a suit would have been a bit over dressed,in the early 70s i remember skinhead/suedeheads wearing suit jackets in the same way,with other trousers,sta prest or even jeans,this has been mentioned on this thread.so i am thinking about buying a sports jacket or maybe a blazer to wear with trousers,i know that i would wear this a hell of lot more than i would wear a suit,the question is where to buy a 3 button sports jacket or 3 button blazer in "our" style ?.

I've sent you a pm mate

Last edited:

Lerk

Reaction score
As has been established in the hundreds of pages before, skinhead as a fashion seem to have come and went over and over a couple of times. Each time with some details changed or affected by the time it manifests itself. If i think back, first time i saw skinheads was in the 90s, and they were the right wing political sort, 14 hole grinders, bleachers, completely shaved, i'd say that the 70s revivalist was somewhere in between. Now i think its gone a full circle. I was at a soccer game earlier today, watching my local team, small scale stuff, not exacly champions league, at most 3-400 people or so. But funny enough i stumbled upon some younger guys (I'm a mere 35 myself, not exactly old), but younger as in early 20s. And they wore neat jeans with the discrete turn up, gingham shirts/single colour oxfords, levis jackets, harringtons. I could clearly see each of em having a trojan records patch on their jacket (I'm not much for patches as i think they break the neatness of otherwise great clothes), obviously a new generation i'd say. What was distinct with these as compared to what has been mentioned earlier in the thread was that they seemed to all be wearing Converse sneakers and sported quite a lot of tattoos. But otherwise i'd say it was closer to the 60s street kit than the 1979-2000 extreme variety.

Sort of made me glad, it eventually got so extreme that the only way to stand out was to tone down and shape up, i suppose. I spoke some to them in half time, they are after all supporters of the same team as me, seemed to be a amicable lot.

loempiavreter

Reaction score

another fb find...
didnt saw these ones from 1970 on here before...
at least two ma1 flight jackets in the pix... :)

I knew the Black & White photo from before, but it's a nice find. I'm wondering though the little kid has a mac in one photo and a flight jacket in the others. Could he be wearing the bomber from someone else (you can see the kid with the plain blue shirt wear a bomber in the pic with the mac, but he doesn't wear any jacket in the other photo's). Could it be he swapped his mac for the bomber just for the photo? Why? It's clearly too big for him. Where macs out of style by then?

Dave, do you have any idea whom we ask about using these photos?

Sure

Just looking at that Getty site. Here's one dated April 1970 - smoker in centre with crop and fly-fronted mac (gives good idea of length then).

Nice find

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
dist1, I dont know if you can get clothes from Marks and Spencers,but i think that some of their button downs are tidy and definitely good value for money,i bought a brown check short sleeve for £12 ! it is better quality than the Fred Perry short sleeve button downs that i looked at for £65 !. I also bought a light blue grandad vest ( £7 ) for the nice hot summer that we are going to have in England....

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

so just check the link of other pix from the same photographer with the same caption if you still dont believe it...
what else do we need to prove that these pix are original???? ;)

We do what any decent researcher does - ASK the photographer/publisher. The end.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads