• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My Alpha MA1 that I got from the States, This pic was taken at a Oi Gig...where most the Lads was wearing MA1s,:)

That jacket could have come right off the street in late 69 / early 70. More or less just how I remember them from then. :nodding:

I have a more modern one that I wear from time to time.

Sirryacus

Reaction score
The only one I've ever owned still sits in my closet as I outgrew it quite quick in high school its a black/ safety orange reversible, probably will never be able to wear it again unless I lose this belly.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Basset.I wondered if you would say Skin Deep,that place must have been there over 25 years? its part of local history everyone knows it and some are to timid to go there ! Ozzy and Dave were like a brilliant double act with their stories and jokes,i have work done by Ozzy but sadly not Dave...he was a proper character! Back in the 60s 70s there was only one place to go for tattoos,Skuses in Mina road,very famous amongst tattoo people, in fact there is still a Skuse tattooing now (i dont know his first name) i have seen pictures of his work....very good!,now theres dozens of tattoo parlours in Bristol. I got talking to a bloke i work with in his late 50s,always lived in south Bristol,subject pubs and cafes as mentioned on here.I asked him about the cafe on Bedminster parade near Bedminster bridge,he said "what the one that always had a load of scooters outside ? "(this was 69/70) "they were called the BS3".Now that started a memory with me,how the blokes would put their postcode say BS 10 for Henbury (where i went to school) on their fly screen in white letters.I used to spend many a constructive hour designing and sketching the scooter that i was going to have,when i should have been doing chemistry,physics and geography.I wonder if the postcode was done in other parts of the country ?

elwood

Reaction score

elwood. I dont go to football now,too much money and sitting down and a few other things spoilt it for me.If i am in i have radio 5 on and listen to the match reports (no more of Stuart Hall though !). I know that we share an interest in brogues so i wanted to ask was it just the longwing style worn in your area "back in the day" ? or were other styles of brogue popular ?.
elwood. I dont go to football now,too much money and sitting down and a few other things spoilt it for me.If i am in i have radio 5 on and listen to the match reports (no more of Stuart Hall though !). I know that we share an interest in brogues so i wanted to ask was it just the longwing style worn in your area "back in the day" ? or were other styles of brogue popular ?.

I miss standing on the terraces ... these days I seem to pay a lot for a seat that I stand in front of for 90 minutes.

Back to brogues, from what I can remember back in the day in 69 any brogues were worn. Early to mid 70 longwing took off - Timpsons Royals were THE choice. Mainly black but also saw a fair few oxblood with an "antiqued" finish. That's what I remember from North Manchester. Roytonboy and Ed Vaughan might have seen something different though not that far away.

buttons

Reaction score

Blimey! Where did you get hold of those, Buttons?

Sorry for the delay - trying to catch up.
Bought these 'Stateside' a while back. Had to hunt around for a while but they were very cheap.
The Vietnam ones I got of one of the forum lads - Loemprivator (sorry the spelling is bollocks). Nice lad - met him at a few reggae nights.

Lasttye had the same strides on when we were at Margate but I didn't get a picture.

Little Queenie

Reaction score
Just catching up on the last few days posts! As regards the too tight shirt sleeves: that 'artificial' muscled look just wasn't the thing in the late '60's / early '70's - it's a modern fashion. Most teenage lads back then were on the slender side so the sleeves would not have been anything like as tight on them.

elwood

Reaction score

OK here are some longwing brogues to compare. Pardon my photography skills and the photos' sizes.

Alden w/commando sole:

Robinson's w/double oak sole:

Loake Royal w/oak sole:

Original Florsheim Imperial grain leather with oak sole:

Botolph, all nice shoes. Excellent Brogues' Gallery (sorry).

buttons

Reaction score

Just catching up on the last few days posts! As regards the too tight shirt sleeves: that 'artificial' muscled look just wasn't the thing in the late '60's / early '70's - it's a modern fashion. Most teenage lads back then were on the slender side so the sleeves would not have been anything like as tight on them.

Another big part of it is that most of the lads you see wearing these shirts now are 40-odd and had 20 odd years of working, drinking and growing-up over most original skinheads the shirts were intended for.
I seem to remember at 16, I was wearing ****** sized '60s Ben Shermans and thinking "these short sleeves are a generous fit".

Bob the Badger

Reaction score
Another big part of it is that most of the lads you see wearing these shirts now are 40-odd and had 20 odd years of working, drinking and growing-up over most original skinheads the shirts were intended for.
I seem to remember at 16, I was wearing ****** sized '60s Ben Shermans and thinking "these short sleeves are a generous fit".

This site is great for bringing back long forgotten memories. In '68/69 it was possible to buy from the Mintz shop in Romford a children's size Ben Sherman. My brother and his mates who were 13/14 years old bought the childrens sizes. I think they were about 5 bob cheaper, so for smaller boys they were a good option.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Basset.I dont like to hear about pubs shutting down,but i for one wont be shedding a tear about the "Royal Archer" i never liked the place,a typical estate pub where the lairy locals would look at you as you walked in and say to each other "dont know he".The Henbury inn was another one,gone now thank god,soon all those old dumps will be gone and some idiot will start a petition to give the last few listed building status !....sorry if the Archers was your local mate.

I think the PubCos, and probably Wetherspoons as well, done a lot to finish off some of those estate pubs. I know The Royal Archer, on Lees Hill. I used to walk past it every day, never went in it at all. And then one day, I noticed it was closed and boarded up. A long time ago, I used to date a girl who lived in Long Cross, Lawrence Weston, And we used to sometimes drink in the Long Cross Inn. Apparently that was supposed to be a really notorious estate pub. Although that one is still open AFAIK.

Last edited:

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
buttons. Totally agree with the 40 odd year old blokes comment.I dont like seeing older blokes with a belly wearing a trim fit shirt intended for teens its like some old bird wearing a short skirt....dont look right !. I am always wary of what i wear at my age and size should be taken into consideration when choosing clothes, i saw a bloke about my age he was short and stocky ( i am being polite) and wearing a crombie....sorry to say he looked wrong.Now we had a guy retire 2 years ago so i think he must be 68 ,always kept fit (was running in marathons until a few years ago) he turned up at work a few weeks back wearing loafers,jeans a button down and a crombie and even the younger blokes said that he looked smart! horses for courses. With the Fred Perry short sleeve button downs i am convinced that the sleeves ARE shorter and tighter than shirts used to be (the materials rubbish too),the modern polo shirt sleeves are so tight they make me feel like i am having my blood pressure taken and i am no Arnie.

Aces and Eights

Reaction score
War and Peace carneabbas been there a couple of times, its the Worlds biggest Military show ..people camp there for a week....fantastic time if the weather it good, you can buy anything there including Tanks,
biggrin.gif

I camped down there one weekend, the evenings have loads of bars and a main hall disco people dress up from Romans to Vietnam clobber on..a true education,
biggrin.gif

The MA1 in the 80s was standard kit for Skinheads and off duty Soldiers.
I have been to that rally at the Hop Farm several times over the last 20 years and always a good function with plenty going on.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads