1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Botolph

Botolph Senior member

Saw that on the news- glad to hear your daughter and her fella were unharmed. Sorry for the others who didn't make it.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  2. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

Hey - I didn't start the beret discussion! :D

3. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Dont worry,I bet I will get the blame for it !
    What our your memories of aerosol graffitti appearing ( timewise ).

4. buttons

buttons Senior member

This thread is generally about the timeline from mod to suedehead so that takes you up to some time in the early 70s, depending on where you’re talking about and personal opinion.
    From a historical point of view, what went on before often has an influence on what happened later (not IMO, just fact).
    So the fact that berets were worn by soldiers, prior to the ‘skinhead’ times will obviously have some influence on their being worn during the times. That’s all added detail to the research. There’s a big difference between this kind of detail and which non-skinhead coat from the high street is more suited to a conservatively dressed old man this winter .
    We all have different things that we want to get out of the thread. I have my own personal agenda, which differs to many others. Listening to ageing ex-skinheads going on and on about what they wore and did in the late 60s – well, although some would slag me off, I love it and could read it all day long. Wandering off on tangents is often good for a fuller picture (and also gives you a clearer idea of whose opinions & ‘memories’ to take with a pinch of salt) but there are times when I feel I’ve clicked on the wrong link.

(only giving a shit about the relevant) Buttons

5. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

So just to get things straight,its everything after 1972 thats off subject? hopefully that includes you posting pictures of yourself dressed up as a 1970s teenager.
    As for your personal agenda,I really dont want to think about that to much.
    Your old bloke cracks are mounting up now,not just at me either,but I havent got a problem with getting old,I reckon that you do though.

6. buttons

buttons Senior member

Ha ha.

Correct me if I'm wrong but if a large part of the thread is about what 60s teenagers dressed like, I think a pic of someone dressed as such is pretty relevant.
    As for the 'old bloke cracks', it doesn't seem to be me who has the problem. When I'm about 60, I'll be old too - its just simple maths; not an insult.

7. Bob the Badger

Bob the Badger Senior member

I always liked the leather coats that the girls wore. I think it was a look inherited from the earlier mods. In the mid '60s boys would have been wearing leather coats as well but I can't remember any skinhead boy in leather. If you could afford it Macs, crombies and sheepskins just about covered it.

8. Bob the Badger

I retrieved my copy of 'The Paint House-words from an east end gang' from the loft in the hope that it might add something to this thread but IMO it still reads as a rubbish book.I bought the book in 1972 when my memories were fresh and remember then being disappointed with it. I blame the authors, and not the kids interviewed, for producing such a crap book.I went to the same pubs and moved in similar circles then but these boys come across as living up to the racist, paki bashing, stereotypical image. No useful data on clothes worn,expressions and slang or even music listened to. A few good references to football violence but not much else. The authors laziness shows through and the misspelling of Dr Martens is a dead giveaway to me.

9. Botolph

Botolph Senior member

That was definitely a difficult book to digest. Poor writing, convoluted, and just... Well, boring.
    With all the talk and hype about that book, you'd think there was some interesting content! Almost as bad as most Richard Allen offerings... In the opinion of a "3rd-waver" anyways.

Also, since it's been a while since I've read the book: did anybody here grow up in the same neighborhoods as set in "the Paint House"?
    Not being cheeky here but there's been a lot of talk about style and attitude, alongside the regional differences of skinhead back in the Original[​IMG] era. Perhaps this was one area's(albeit skewed by journalists) perspective on things?
    For instance, the neighborhood I live in was long associated with racism and bashing of all sorts of minorities and gays(South Boston), where in most parts of New England it isn't really a prevalent thing. Perhaps the attitudes in the Painthouse book were particular to that area?

Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
  10. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

For once we agree,as you say a large part of the thread is about what 60s teenagers wore,but you are not a teenager are you ? you are a middle aged man so your pictures are not relevant IM ( non skinhead opinion ).
    If there was a specific thread for re-enactors,you could post them on there perhaps,I wouldnt be interested to look at such a thread.
    I think that this discussion between us should stop and that other people should decide what is relevant to the thread or not,I will abide by any decision that is made.

11. buttons

buttons Senior member

It’s a public forum, so it attracts different people with different interests, who all want something different out of it. I’m here as a historian, doing some research and join in where I feel its appropriate.
    Of course I’m a middle aged man (and not offended by it) hence my use of the phrase “someone dressed as such”.
    You can’t possibly want to argue about relevance as I’ve read your last 700 posts. Feel free to read back through them all and decide for yourself.
    Anyway, enough of all this, I’ll step back and (hopefully) allow some discussion about 60s style fashion, music and punch-ups.

12. Mr Knightley

Mr Knightley Senior member

I have had a little break from the internet having got unduly hot under the (OCBD) collar on Friday.

Buttons is right that the thread does unravel quite often lately and I'm as guilty as the next poster for going off track. My difficulty, two plus years after joining, is trying to think of new things to say about that golden era. Eventually it dries up. It is almost inevitable in a thread that has been kept going for an unnaturally long time.

There is some merit in breaking things down IMO in the way cerneabbas suggested a few days ago.

13. Bob the Badger

The book is based on the collingwood estate which was situated behind where the Blind Beggar pub is, near Whitechapel. It was knocked down years ago. My extended family lived further east near the Royal Docks. My mob used to use the pubs in their area (Blind Beggar, Black Boy and a backstreet pub on the collingwood) but didn't know of them unless they also called themselves the Mile End mob but that seems unlikely because the MEM were West Ham supporters and the book claims most of them were Tottenham. Back then they seemed like lying herberts to me but they might have been playing up to the authors' prejudices. Earlier on in the Century many Jewish lived on the Collingwood so that could well explain the Tottenham connection. It would be ironic if some of those 'Paki bashers' were of Jewish decent but it is quite possible they were. There is a guy on here who calls himself Paint House. Was he one of them?

14. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

15. Inks

Inks Senior member

What was the 'getting wasted' situation in the early days ? Was glue-sniffing as prevalent back in the late '60s/early '70s ? Or was it just booze ? I know the early Mods were famous pill-heads.
    I know from '78 onwards round my way, solvent abuse was an epidemic, especially amongst certain Skins. It definitely brought out aggression in those that partook. It looked bloody nasty as well.
    The Mod kids seemed to prefer huffing Tippex thinner or Thawpit spot-remover from their sleeves. The Punk kids would inhale Newport butane lighter-gas or CO2 fire extinguishers. The Skinheads were bang into Evo-Stik in a bread bag though.
    Different youth sub-cultures seemed to imbibe their solvents differently in my town. Essentially they were all doing the same thing though.
    As far as I know, solvent abuse is pretty much extinct with the 21st Century youth. I remember '78-'85 it was ridiculously popular. Then it just kind of disappeared.
    I know kids have been 'sniffing stuff' for decades before I can first recall it.(My mum told me about some stuff called Zoff's Plaster Remover that some kids would inhale back in the mid-60s)

16. Little Queenie

Little Queenie Senior member

A fairly typical media interpretation of Skinhead, wouldn't you say, Bob?

17. Little Queenie

Little Queenie Senior member

Nothing in that media image of intolerant, aggro-loving Skinheads. You and Buttons should buff up on your skim reading, it really is most useful. Personally, I have no interest in the revival, but every now and then it throws up something that does make for a relevant discussion of the original Skinhead period. Just saying......

18. McDermott

McDermott Well-Known Member

Read up on quite a bit over last hour.
    Thoughts :

Echo of others re North/South : Surely there was smart dressed lads, bad dressed lads, hard nutcase types and clothing obsessed types. Just because one photo shows it doesnt mean it was all like that. Im sick of this everyone outside of london was a scruffy cnt crap. Im sure there were kids in london who didnt scrub up great either, admittedly the majority would agree that double denim look was more popular more in the north but suits seemed to be mostly everywhere at one point or another and worn by the right types.

Book: Id buy it if it were stories of people from back in the day of weekends out with the lads, what clothes they bought and wore and when etc. lots of pictures. But not as a strictly historical guide as mentioned with jim ferguson and others it is from your own/their perspective.

'Re-enactment'er - used as some sort of slaunder...just because we are sticking to the original stuff worn in context doesn't mean we are completely clueless.theres something about that word thats troubling...A pic of someone in original get up is more interesting to me then a picture of a cat and more relevant..These 'younger' lot are keeping the flame burning maybe the older generation should realize that. If we arent going to bother with the details and getting it right, then lets just buy any generic overcoat from M&S a button down, hey presto there we go. nailed it....

two pennys.

19. Sirryacus

Sirryacus Senior member

I was sort of curious about this as well but I always deemed it a more taboo subject I assume they took the same legal speed as they blatantly market to the club scene as "diet pills" today or was it really the hard illegal stuff?

20. Bob the Badger

Indeed, Little Queenie. By the way, I thought your post a few pages back was very perceptive.