1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Inks

Inks Senior member

I also remember pretty much everyone with sidies back in the '70s. Except maybe the 'normal-norman/short back and sides' brigade.(There were still a lot of plain-looking 1950s-dad types around when I was a kid.)
    It's funny how the original Skinheads rejected every aspect of the 'scruff-bag-Hippy-c*nt/flared/Nylon/platform-heeled/self-discovering' frippery of the late '60s/early '70s, but joined in with face-fungus.
    Then again, Teds and Skins/Suedes are the only people to pull-off chops with any aplomb IMO.
    Saying that, I'll still give Jack Regan, John Bindon, and Charlie Endell a place in the SB 'Hall of Fame'. Noddy Holder and that bloke from Mungo Jerry can G* F***T*********
    [​IMG]
    Charlie
    [​IMG]
    Mr.Bindon
    [​IMG]
    Monsieur Jacques

Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
  2. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Senior member

Not that I recall and to be honest I am second guessing myself about seeing the POW or Tonik used in a Harrington that early.As I stated before I know that my reaction was that I thought it was a fashion reaction rather than something that had grown organically and was something produced to market to an established audience,but I am not 100% sure that was due to me seeing it then or later? Getting old is no fun!

3. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Senior member

IMO the Gloves were just a carry over from Mods.Leather keyhole back gloves were equally popular with Girls around '68 in Hunter Green,Navy and Brown to match their knee length leather coats.Older lads were driving Mini's adorned with Rally wheels,Fog lights etc so this might well have been why they were the gloves of choice?The fact that they were appropriated by some of the Northern Soul lads and the KTF symbol was a natural progression I think?

4. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Senior member

[​IMG]

1971 Market Harborough

5. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

Not negative, you're entitled to your opinion. I hear you, but I disagree.

I think, by the way, that wandering a little off topic from time to time keeps the thread ticking over. Talking about Dick Emery's 'skinhead' character, in my opinion, is pretty relevant, because it shows something of how outsiders saw us.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
  6. Man-of-Mystery

This is definitely a bit off topic, but it's a bit of personal info I thought I would let you know.

My daughter Ruth was in the Clutha pub in Glasgow when the helicopter crashed on it on Friday night. She was in the audience for Ska band Esperanza. She and her boyfriend got out uninjured, as did most of their friends. Unfortunately one of her boyfriend's friends was among the dead.

7. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

I am so glad that your daughter is ok,sorry to hear about the friend that died...

8. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Paul Smith does a navy blue POW suit...I am thinking about getting a pair of the brown POW trousers with red overcheck,I would prefer blue,but I cant find a pair.
    I am wondering if the aerosol graffiti started around then because the paint had recently become available in shops ?...there were loads of car accessory shops here in those days ( all gone now ) and I know that kids at school used to steal tins of spray paint...
    I used to lookout for graffiti then although I have always thought of it as vandalism,I remember City suporters going on the rampage after a game and spraying on cars in a hotel car park,I saw a new car with city sprayed on the side the next day....as you may know the graffiti "artist" banksie comes from Bristol,he is known as a City fan and his "work" here has been vandalised by Rovers ( even to the extent of paintball guns being used on inaccessible paintings )...graffiti vandalised !
    You mention the black power movement as a possible reason for the beret and driving gloves,I wonder if the tv apearances of another group of blokes wearing berets,gloves and sunglasses around then would have been a reason to stop wearing gloves and berets ?..just a thought.

9. roytonboy

roytonboy Senior member

Certainly could have been a factor at City, where there has always been more of an empathy with Rangers than Celtic. That's a really good call cerneabbas and one that had never occurred to me. The berets didn't last very long at all - probably all over by early 1970. The gloves I was still seeing in soul clubs in 1971.

10. Bob the Badger

Bob the Badger Senior member

I like this photo because it shows a couple of boys with the badged blazers. The blazer is almost forgotten from that period but this photo proves that it was part of the look.(Or are they part of a school uniform?) Also interesting is that although the boys are dressed up they are not wearing ties. In 68/69 they probably would have been. I wonder if the location near to Northampton meant that they would have been wearing decent shoes? I can't see from the picture.I can see the red socks which I would have been wearing a bit earlier. From 1971 it all started to go wrong dress-wise, for many of us, as we tried to distance ourselves from our younger brothers who were copying the look.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  11. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Senior member

It reinforced the stereotype projected by the print media of Skinheads all being nuckle dragging Neanderthals,which has continued to this day.

12. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Senior member

I hesitated to post it as it is a not the sharpest of photos,but I am sure the likes of Buttons and your good self can pull a lot from it.I think it was at an All Nighter and the blazer badges are different,so not a school uniform ,In many ways very similar to a few years earlier with the hair cuts etc,but as you say the red socks and being tieless alters everything.Only one lad wearing a suit I believe.
    You would like to think everyone in Northamton were shod in the finest England made,but sadly that's not the case.In fact the last time I was there,a lot of people looked down on their heels.
    I was thinking about the photos of the Coventry lads the other day.It's surprising to me how towns in quite close proximity to each other can have such a chasm when it comes to style and dressing.Birmingham and Leicester produced some of the smartest lads (and Girls LQ;) ) that I ever saw and yet Cov/Wolves/Villa never gave me the same impression?

13. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Senior member

That was the reason it stopped.

14. Man-of-Mystery

Thanks, mate.

It's a bloody small world, though - I was talking to a friend of mine via ham radio today, and two friends of his daughter were amongst the hospitalised.

My daughter said that while she was there she was thinking "My dad'll be annoyed he didn't get an invite to this gig, it's right up his street."

15. Man-of-Mystery

You're absolutely right. Though, to be fair, I can remember one or two blokes back in the day who would not have looked out of place dressed in sabre-tooth-skins! It's an image that started back then too. I have been looking for a one-off cartoon from a football magazine of the time, one of a series showing the various types of people who went to matches. One was called 'The Orang-u-fan' because he would climb up floodlight towers etc, and he was like a bald-headed chimp in boots and braces.

However, Google can't help the search, because it turns up 1,280,00 hits that aren't the cartoon!

16. Man-of-Mystery

I always associated berets with the beatnik movement. The possible 'modernist' link goes back, I guess, to modern jazz players like Dizzy Gillespie. Round Blackpool you'd have got the nickname 'Pedro' for wearing one, and since that was also the nickname of an assistant caretaker at my school (who wore one, was a bit simple, and talked with a castrato voice) I wouldn't have been seen dead in one!

[​IMG]

17. con man

con man Senior member

seriously, that image bothered Skinheads back then,
    since when have Skinheads been so sensitive,
    When I was a kid and watched him, I hadnt really got a clue, what the jokes were about, but found his act really funny, my Dad used to piss himself at the show, it went on till the early 80's and I remember seeing that character, dont know if he was still playing the Skinhead by then or it was repeats, but I remember thinking he's doing a Skinhead and thought it was brilliant and like the idea that the media and public thought of us like that
    Like you say, Skinheads have been portrayed in that context since the beginning, but who gives as shit.
    I'm of the train of thought, "nobody likes us and we don't care"
    I used to hate the fact, everyone thought we were all rascists and found myself explaining, what it was really about,
    Now I cant be arsed, if any body asks what I'm up to on a weekend, I just say going to a Mod do, people only look shocked and bemused because of my age and probably think I'm some kind of saddo, but again....fuck em!!
    I like the fact, that very few understand what it's about it, it's like being part of an exclusive underground club, of like minded people!!!

18. Man-of-Mystery

Some light-hearted input about berets. Here are some beret pioneers.

Here's 'Hot Lips Hannigan' from The Flintstones in 1960:

[​IMG]

Dizzy Gillespie signs autographs for teenage girls with berets and stuck-on goatee beards (late 40s, early 50s):

[​IMG]

And the REAL pioneer of the beret-and-gloves style is my late father, seen here on the streets of Bari, Italy, in 1945.

[​IMG]

I suppose anyone researching WW2 uniform might see this and say "Aha! So sometimes the RAF did wear berets!" and the next thing you would see would be WW2 reenactments or TV damas with aircraftsmen in berets instead of the standard 'forage cap'. The reason he is wearing a beret, however, is that he has just got back from attachment to Tito's Partisans in Jugoslavia, where he wore a Partisan's black beret with, as he put it, "a set of RAF wings and a red star on it"; obviously he hasn't been issued with a replacement forage cap at this time. Although he only rose to the rank of Corporal, he always held himself and walked like an Air Marshall. When he got back to Italy his full outfit consisted of the beret, the RAF battledress jacket (without stripes, because they would have shown up at night), Wehrmacht riding britches, and Wehrmacht jackboots - the Partisans used a lot of looted Axis kit. He said "The MPs didn't know whether to salute me or arrest me!"

Cool geezer.

Okay, spank me for going way off topic, but it keeps the thread ticking over.

19. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Yes you will have the skinhead monitor pulling you up for "non skinhead opinion".....increase the monitors medication nurse.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  20. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Great picture IMO,a great variety of different clothes,no fatties in those days and how olds the oldest one there ? 18 / 19 maximum I reckon.
    BTW,I cant recall another material that I would call skinhead either,I never saw the brown POW worn then but I will be getting some trousers.
    The girls were wearing those green and navy leather coats here in 69 and 70,always thought they looked smart in them.