1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

That's more-or-less where I am, and it's a sane place for someone in his 60s to be.

1 person likes this.
  2. Man-of-Mystery

Don't worry about it - the best of us have done that! :D

3. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Senior member

Quote: "If she puts that fucking Tommy Roe and "Dizzy" on one more time…………….

4. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

I thought I would just add a bit,on the subject of...Did Skinheads take Pills etc.Yes they did and as M-o-M has said about the various Pills.Add to that Blues and Black Bombers.Older Skins were old Mods so their Habits carried on from those times.We used to go to Allnighters and similar to the later "Northern Soul" Crowd,needed to stay awake.There would only be Soft Drinks or Coffee for sale.I have written before(many,many Pages ago)we used to meet up with some "representatives" of the Criminal World and chose from a Matchbox(all the various Pills on offer were there).Then various packages would be picked up and paid for.It is now called "Drug Pushing", to us it was supplying the demand.One Mate went too deep into it and ended up wasted,another had LSD dropped into a drink and was nearly certified.This was towards the end.As I have stated before-this now went from a Fashion to a Profession.I wanted out.

5. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

The Kinks were on PYE and a lot of Mods liked them,I don't know whether some Skinheads would have liked them ?.
    They had quite a smart look in the mid 60s,check them out on youtube singing Apeman on top of the pops ( 1970 ?) to see how they degenerated.

6. Sirryacus

Sirryacus Senior member

one of their biggest hits came from the same album though in the form of lola but I would be inclined to agree with you that 1970 was the beginning of the end for them.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  7. Bob the Badger

Bob the Badger Senior member

My first singles record was 'Dead End Street' by the Kinks, bought Christmas 1966 when Mum and Dad bought me and my brother a new record player. I later bought 'Waterloo Sunset' a great London tune. The mid sixties London Mods were into the Kinks but few London skinheads in 1969 would have been listening to them. Dress wise they degenerated, a bit like we all did in the early 70s.

8. bunty

bunty Senior member

[​IMG]

Good photo.

I'll go for The Foundations - 'Build Me Up Buttercup' . (I bet the record has got someone's initials scrawled on the label too)

1 person likes this.
  9. Man-of-Mystery

Check out this photo of The Foundations...

[​IMG]

The bloke 2nd from left - I remember noticing him back in the day, wearing a plain navy blue surf jacket, just like I had. Am I right in thinking he was the drummer with the band?

In this pic...

[​IMG]

he appears to be wearing a denim jacket. Have we had these photos before?

10. Little Queenie

Little Queenie Senior member

No we haven't had them and yes, he was the drummer, Tim Harris. I was looking at photos of them recently, thinking he was definitely wearing the Look: he would have been 19 in 1967, likely a Mod (sporting the look we retrospectively can see as the early beginnings of Skinhead) by the look of him. Same age as Bunty's brother, I believe.

11. Little Queenie

Little Queenie Senior member

I asked Bob what he thought the record was when that photo appeared on here (we'd seen it before) and that's exactly what he said. Great minds, eh Bunty?

12. buttons

buttons Senior member

Two of them (including Tim) wearing suede Levis with leather collar. Nice.

13. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Senior member

Hey Buttons,
    from your self proclaimed position as an Historian, your passion for collecting and your wealth of knowledge,I was wondering if you had ever considered building a website and setting up a "Virtual" Museum/Gallery covering the period ,sharing the finer details and differences that went into production and dates etc? Sadly the V&A has a representation that is barely a pimple on the arse of the style we cherish.
    Just a thought before all is forgotten?

14. yankmod

yankmod Senior member

I Thought If I Refrained from Posting the antagonistic vibe would wither but that was not the case.Love the Foundations.Great British Bubble-Gum from Gemm Prod.and the Great Tony McCaulay,producer,songwriter,and all around Hard Ass.The Foundations being one of the earliest of the Multi- Ethnic, Multi -Cultural bands in the UK scene(as we know much was made of this in the 2 tone Ska revival) A couple of British lads and a few west Indians,African and Indian(asian) as well.Some decent tunes,re-made later by Tony and others in the Stable. Pye records an excellent British Independent Label.The Kinks can do no wrong in my eyes.I remember this Thread was started by 2nd Generation Skins/Mods and the Originals chimed in with the real story.So,it became the story of the Original Skinheads of which we have been lucky to hear from quite a few.The argument seems to be about the Original Subculture becoming mainstream and about Clothes and Records and the revivals being Subculture thru a Retro Lens.In the End it is a Subculture with certain established accessories,which signify your attachments.These shoes, never those others.In the end the Subcultures of Mod-Skinhead and Suede were about certain clothes most importantly that the wearer considers particularly Smart.I would not expect any of the folks on this thread to show up at a Soul Allnighter in a Crushed Velvet Track Suit,with stripe down the side.It is about Style,it is Style Forum.I like to see the younger folks posting pics of their attempt today to appropriate old ideas for today.The Originals posting todays stylish Grandad aren't bad either not that I would try sellin the calender.When admiring the recent pics(Lasttye is always a treat) I always keep in mind availability of the items and cost.As Mod/Skin and it's offshoots have been hybridized/bastardized,(at times only found in dusty Thrift stores) Things have changed slightly from the days when a specific BD check became available for Spring 1970,sold like hot cakes and then worn to death .Rarely seen later as dead stock.If we were discussing a past subculture with no life today it would be much easier to establish the lines.It's a blurred subject with lots of odd tentacles growing outward thru the years.

15. Botolph

Botolph Senior member

Nice to hear from ya again Yamnkmod. ¡Viva Nueva Inglaterra!

16. buttons

buttons Senior member

In some ways, I'd love to do something like this and often thought of writing a book or some such way of bringing it all together. Firstly though, I can barely find time to post on here, most weeks, never mind put together such a task And I know that once I get into it, it will grow and grow and never be finished. As you get deeper into any subject matter, you learn another five things which only leads you to another ten things you don't know.
    And you're right about the exhibitions that often crop up - I've been to a few mod / 60s ones in the last couple of years and they were very interesting but I couldn't help but think "is that it? Same with the books about Ben Sherman, Fred Perry, Dr Marten etc - often barely skimming the surface of a subject because no one spent the time to find out any detail.

But there's also an element of whilst exiting in a 'scene', oneupmanship is till a key aspect for some, so its like showing your full hand before you start.
    Its so much easier for people today (as opposed to thirty odd years ago when I was getting into it), researching such a subject because whilst being full to the virtual rafters with utter bollocks, the internet has most of the info you need, if you just have an informed look around. If everything was on one website, then all you would have to do is read that, then suddenly you're an expert. That's making it too easy, surely.
    Maybe one day when I'm retired and life slows down a little, and I care a little less about who's wearing the best suit on a Saturday night!

17. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Senior member

Yes I agree that there is a tendency for laziness and people wanting everything handed on a plate to them.Also for people like you who still enjoy the "One Upmanship",I would feel the same.
    The irony is ,I have a friend who developed an exhaustive website for his favorite Band that have had a long and charismatic career.It has reached the point that he actually knows more about the band than they can collectively recall,and they have used information and parts of his personal collection for their retrospective needs.
    Keep it all in your back pocket mate…...

18. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

At this time, maybe MoM will have finished his book ? [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  19. yankmod

yankmod Senior member

Big Up Botolph.New England has much to celebrate these days.

20. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member