• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Bullitt

Reaction score
DM is a typical work/sportswear brand that has transformed into a “lifestyle” label. I bought a pair of Made-in-England Vintage boots last year, the first pair in 15 years and the leather already cracked, even though I don’t wear them often.

I have noticed a similar strategy among several English heritage brands: Prices increase, quality decreases, money is put into marketing to come over as an authentic streetwear brand and make people believe the products are still as good as in the 60s.

I remember Dr Martins in 69 as supple and comfortable, you could wear them all day, I bought a pair of Made in England Dr Martins Three years ago, my first pair since the 60s cost £135, still cant break em in.. so uncomfortable,
I have been wearing boots non stop everyday for over 40 years, Skinhead, Work, and Army, I found Timberland boots and Rocky American Military boots as the most comfortable.

Last edited:

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It struck me about the age thing - a couple of years seemed to make a big difference. I can remember when I was 19 I swapped my sheepskin for a leather coat. The other bloke was 17. I can't remember what the problem was, but there was one and both our dads got involved; money had to change hands and the coats swapped back again. I can remember my dad referring to him (not to his face - my dad was too decent for that) as a 'lying little seventeen-year-old'. I can remember thinking at the time that was a bit odd, because we were only two years apart and that didn't sound like much. But when you stop and think about it, it did seem to make that difference.

Brideshead

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Yes, a two year age gap seemed huge to me back then.

Going back to the Portsmouth second picture, the caption implies that the close-cropped hair was relatively new for that crew. If so, another example of how far apart we were. Roy, I'm sure was starting to grow his by then!

Watermelon man

Reaction score
DM is a typical work/sportswear brand that has transformed into a “lifestyle” label. I bought a pair of Made-in-England Vintage boots last year, the first pair in 15 years and the leather already cracked, even though I don’t wear them often.

I have noticed a similar strategy among several English heritage brands: Prices increase, quality decreases, money is put into marketing to come over as an authentic streetwear brand and make people believe the products are still as good as in the 60s.
Correct. I've had three pairs of MiE in the last few years and despite more TLC than I've ever given older (original British) DMs, the leather of all has cracked. The shoes are almost unwearable because of it.

What's more the stitching that holds the leather together has come unpicked on one boot (Superglue repair), the inner bit that strengthens the heel has cracked up and fallen apart in two pairs of boots and the soles in all three have worn down in no time. I'm wondering whether the Chinese-made DMs are better.
confused.gif

Last edited:

HughJ

Reaction score

Correct. I've had three pairs of MiE in the last few years and despite more TLC than I've ever given older (original British) DMs, the leather of all has cracked. The shoes are almost unwearable because of it.

Not surprising, I'm afraid. The last pair I bought was in the mid-90s, and they were already cutting corners by then well ahead of the move to China.

Aces and Eights

Reaction score
It struck me about the age thing - a couple of years seemed to make a big difference. I can remember when I was 19 I swapped my sheepskin for a leather coat. The other bloke was 17. I can't remember what the problem was, but there was one and both our dads got involved; money had to change hands and the coats swapped back again. I can remember my dad referring to him (not to his face - my dad was too decent for that) as a 'lying little seventeen-year-old'. I can remember thinking at the time that was a bit odd, because we were only two years apart and that didn't sound like much. But when you stop and think about it, it did seem to make that difference.
Back in 69/70 I was the youngest in our crew at 16 and the oldest was 20 / 21. This caused no problems. But later when I was 21 ish I would not have anything to do with the up and coming younger lot.

Yet now I have mates from that younger lot and the age difference makes no odds until we talk about the old days and I have to comment 'yeah but you weren't there or you were too young to know' etc. I am very protective of our era !!

Watermelon man

Reaction score
What's worse is the absurd price you now pay for this poor-quality footwear. And this is the bog-standard stuff; nothing fancy. For example:

Made in China 8i DM: £100
Made in England 8i DM: £180

These boots cost less than half of that four years ago. Seems to me that (even allowing for the VAT increase from 15 to 20%) they have been inflating their prices ready for the sell-off of the brand (just as FP, Sherman, British Rail etc did).

Contrast that with NPS:

Made in England 8i Solovair: £110 (but they were only £80 last year!).

My worry is that the Solovair brand is going the same way as Dr Martens. Their new web site is beginning to look like a clone of the DM site (similar videos, marketing bumph etc).

Watermelon man

Reaction score
... 'yeah but you weren't there or you were too young to know' etc. I am very protective of our era !!
What pisses me off is people who are pretentious snobs about clothing, music etc who are YOUNGER than I am who did not live through the times.

I wouldn't say they have no idea, but they often have very distorted and frankly laughable ideas, and end up looking like complete prats. It's like the bloody Sealed Knot, re-enacting what they believe the '60s and '70s were like
smile.gif

My own view, for what it's worth, is that anyone can be a skin if they want to be, and good luck to them too. We should be helping others, not making them feel inferior (except when they have completely the wrong idea
rolleyes.gif
).

corker23

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice on the DM's fellas, I've never had a pair, so all your comments have been useful. I think for now I will be sticking with my chunky soled Loake brogue boots, penny loafers and Clarks desert boots. On an unrelated tip I picked up a G9 Baracuta today, I never knew a Harrington could fit so well. Its tidy.

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Typical Pompey, Col. :)

That was just what I was thinking,M-o-M.I did meet some Portsmouth Skins in the past(off the Leigh Park Estate-which just outside of Pompey),and they were very smart.Got banned from the "Marina" in Portsmouth.But that is a different story.:)

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes, a two year age gap seemed huge to me back then.

Going back to the Portsmouth second picture, the caption implies that the close-cropped hair was relatively new for that crew. If so, another example of how far apart we were. Roy, I'm sure was starting to grow his by then!

In `69,I met a Portsmouth Skinhead ,who was a Window Dresser-in one of the Shops I was working,and his Style of Dress was a full 1+years behind us.

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Back in 69/70 I was the youngest in our crew at 16 and the oldest was 20 / 21.  This caused no problems.  But later when I was 21 ish I would not have anything to do with the up and coming younger lot. 

Yet now I have mates from that younger lot and the age difference makes no odds until we talk about the old days and I have to comment 'yeah but you weren't there or you were too young to know' etc.  I am very protective of our era !! 

Agree with you Mate,though at 19 we were considered old men-by the younger Skinheads!:)

yankmod

Reaction score
Watermelon man.I agree with both of your posts above.As for browniecj,You nicking yachts again down the marina.I bet thats a good story down the pub on a week night.

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Agree with you Mate,though at 19 we were considered old men-by the younger Skinheads!:)

I was 15 in 69 it was a glorious time ..we had no fear, we would fight anyone, The older lads 17/18 was more cautious, When I became 18 I became cautious,:D
Such is life.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads