1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Clouseau.Could they be Corcoran boots,i think that the Us paras wore them.

2. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

I went to a 60th birthday bash last night... what a result.

It was Les's birthday extravaganza - he's good guy.

http://www.kingbeerecords.co.uk/kingbee_records__history_by_john_mccready.htm

Met a fella - Steve - in a superb blazer and shell cordovans who really looked the biz.

I've told him about our wee place on the web and hope he joins in.

Another lad, John, has pointed me in the direction of not only a shirt-maker here in Manchester, but a tailor, too.

Hope he comes in with us here, too.

More Mods than skins - both in their early 60s - I reckon they have loads to offer.

Apparently, there is a 'do' in the Nag's Head in city centre Manchester - mate of mine has this pub - next Friday... I'll be there. :D

Last edited: Jul 21, 2013
  3. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

Cerneabbas. Spot on. just looked and they are Corcoran boots !

4. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Ed Vaughan.I saw about a shirtmaker in Manchester,it could have been on Modculture i will have a look they did some really nice shirts and i thought that they seemed a good price.

5. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

Yeh, I believe the fella said they are around £20 - yes, £20 a pop - if you order 10!

What is not to like at that price?

6. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Senior member

About eight years ago i found myself needing a pr of daily work shoes/boots.partly from nostalgia i looked at the DM website and ordered a pr of shoes.Long story /short.They had a very nice Last,mediocre leather ,and the worst fit imaginable.They were in the garbage within weeks.I noticed that all the black kids I work with were wearing the same style boots?I asked a few about them.They turned out to be Vasque Sundowners.I've not had a lot of experience with work boots over the years,but i've worn nothing else since.They perform great in all weather.Extremely comfortable and keep my feet dry.The first pr were NOS made in Italy.They lasted 4 yrs.The next pair were made in China and are due to be replaced now,after almost 4yrs.The leather on the Chinese made pr is slightly inferior to the Italian IMO,but if I had not had the Italian ones previously,I would never have known.I work in an environment with hundreds of boot wearing blokes,and these are by far the most popular.I' never ever see Red Wings,Timberland,Cat's or Whites?Only for the trendies on the street and the Truck Drivers who are in a dry cab 95% of the time.

7. Sirryacus

Sirryacus Senior member

I've noticed in the past few years a lot of formerly cheap work boot brands recently trying to move into releasing higher dollar models, I don't understand how that will succeed if you are known for cheap boots, as for Red Wings and Timberland you won't see the average person wearing those as most won't be willing to pay the price,but I must ask with such a wide range of brands and styles how will you know if they are wearing those specific brands or not?

8. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Senior member

Most of the popular brands have distinctive logos or features such as heel shape etc.

9. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Gsvs5.I hate logos and the first thing i did with my Cat boots was cut off the tongue label and used black shoe dye and polish to cover up the yellow banding ( my son watched shaking his head,he does that a lot with me ), i wore them in Sweden and Germany in the winter ( in the city not hiking though),i have worn them in work on occasions they have been ok.

10. catchourbreath

catchourbreath Well-Known Member

Here in New York, you see most "workwear" being worn by people who wouldn't know manual labor if it hit them in the jaw.

11. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Clouseau.I have been thinking about your post this morning about the loden/crombie coat and buying a classic coat ( or shoes).I understand your point and in some ways i agree,but i am looking at that coat as a coat not as a Loden coat or a "crombie",so now i can say do i like that coat or not?. My girlfriend agrees with you about the buttons and if it was definitely a Loden coat i would agree that they should be showing,but it is not a Loden so does it matter ?.About the crombie raincoat,i thought that the pocket flaps were a good idea on a raincoat (stops rain going into pocket ) maybe the top pocket is not such a good or practical idea ?.I like to look at clothes or shoes and say to myself do i like that ?,i dont want to put myself in a style box where i can only wear this and i can not wear that.An example ,one of the blokes on here sees some brogue boots that he likes,he puts up a post "did any originals see brogue boots worn ?",the answer from everyone is no,so now he can not wear them because he wants an authentic skinhead look.Now that is not for me,i saw some black brogue boots and i thought they would look good with Prince of wales check or grey trousers and a white button down so i bought them.I know that many will not agree with me,but i said before about updating and twisting style to a man of my age today,this is all IMO and not intended to upset anyone else.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
  12. Mr twist tag

Mr twist tag Member

I live in a little village called shotgate(wickfor
    [​IMG]

Afternoon everyone just quick question 44years ago this was daily mirrors head lines 'A man on moon' and of course not just English news paper but most around the world.
    Just wanted to no if the USA Astronauts was a Inspiration to a short cropped hair cut for some of you's on here?
    Cos many people say this was where the style of cropped hair cut come from!
    But I've seen a Quiet a few pics from 68 with lads with a no4 crop!

Cheers mr TT
    (P.s that's a original press of that news paper I picked up this year for £3! bargan in my eyes!haha)

13. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Yep,the same here.

14. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Mr.twist tag,I had my No.4 in 1967 so no influence whatsoever.

15. yankmod

yankmod Senior member

Absolutely true.The Carhartt craze 10 years ago was very annoying.

16. Aces and Eights

Aces and Eights Senior member

I was an original in 69 aged 15 and I loved the clothes style and did not want it to end and wore it for a few years after 71 but then had to start wearing what was the fashion or otherwise I would have looked odd and would not have been able to pull the girls as they wanted their lads to be up with fashion

Having said that the style has never really left me but I would not wear braces and half mast jeans or strides in my 60th year because I would look and feel a fool

I wear what is subtle but still in the traditional feel. I have several pairs of DM dealers, quite simply because I like them, that look good with straight leg jeans (no turn up). I wear BD shirts but not particularly Ben Sherman as the quality is nothing like those back in the day. Polo shirts, Royals, loafer type boat shoes (without laces and holes round the sides), 3 button 2 piece off the shelf suits etc are worn as normal.

I do not spend lots of money on clothes now and compared with the original skinhead era its meagre. I think what I am trying to say is that if you were from that time you should not feel that you have to dress as you did from that time. It has passed and you are not be the same person you were then - too many things would have occurred in your life. But its good to retain the same standard of that style.

I have met, through this thread, guys that are in their 30s and 40s who dress in the original style and in astounding detail and know more about the clothes back then than me - and I was there!! But they are into it because they have seen it and have chosen to get involved. Us original did not really choose - that was what was happening at the time and if you were not part of it you were not in or simply left behind, and when the fashion changed you moved on with it. Some of us did not want to move on - but had to be forced into it.

I suppose in some ways that's why its very enjoyable to be able to read and comment on here with people who were either there or have found an interest in that time and from all parts of the country and even abroad

17. Aces and Eights

Aces and Eights Senior member

Hello Mr Twist Tag

That was a great event for mankind etc but back then it did not make any difference / influence to what we were up to

18. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Aces and Eights.A very good post,it explains what i think in many ways,you have used that word "subtle" in a post about this before and it is a key word IMO.I have to say that i like reading what other blokes around my age think is suitable style wise,i am not saying that i will go off and buy everything mentioned,but it is funny that i agree with so much of it.I am also glad that i found this forum and i have learnt quite a bit from the posts on here,from ice hockey related bother in the USA/Canada to the style of French skinheads in the 80s and from the Mile end mob to John Smedley knitwear.

19. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

Cerneabbas, in a precedent post about the coat you found on eBay, i told you that even if it was not a "proper" loden it looked good. So i was just expressing my general opinion about coat styles, and that was personal. i am quite a classic guy in matter of style. The good thing on this thread is that we feel free to express ourselves, about a peculiar subject, even if we disagree sometimes. You seem to be an open minded person, i apreciate. And if you like that coat, go for it !

Mr Twist Tag. Good picture. I like the details : the newspaper, the model kit, and the nice pair of vintage Hawkins Astronauts boots.
    About the man on the moon, was five at the time and remember seeing it on TV with my family, like if it was yesterday.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
  20. Basset

Basset Senior member

Thats some nice looking footwear, the smooths bottom right in particular
    tbh i need a nice pair of Brogues, got a pair of Loakes Royals which look ok, but there the most uncomfortable shoes i own