• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Reggae was only part of the music we listened to, Tamla Motown was just as important , plus the pop music of the day, The biggest hit for skinheads in 69 was Spirt in the Sky, You would get hundreds of Skinhead girls at the Tottenham Royal dancing in rows to it.
We also listened to Booker T, The Drifters was also well played.

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Reggae was only part of the music we listened to, Tamla Motown was just as important , plus the pop music of the day, The biggest hit for skinheads in 69 was Spirt in the Sky, You would get hundreds of Skinhead girls at the Tottenham Royal dancing in rows to it.
We also listened to Booker T, The Drifters was also well played.

Yes it was,where I went,but to be truthful it did not hit the spot-where Reggae did.In the 70s I lost over 3,000 Reggae Records-that is how strong I was into it!!!

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Being a Skinhead in the 60s, was no main thing, It was Mates, Aggro, Cloths, Football,Girls, Music, The order was what was your personal priority, For me it was my mates, We would die for each other.:)

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the late 60s we did not consider Soul worth listening to.That is why "Northern Soul" came into being.They were playing what we considered "unfashionable".I remember reading "Blues and Soul" and Dave Godin giving this Label.I used to see Adverts for the "Catacombs",the "Twisted Wheel" etc., and wonder-what the hell????:)

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Being a Skinhead in the 60s, was no main thing, It was Mates, Aggro, Cloths, Football,Girls, Music, The order was what was your personal priority, For me it was my mates, We would die for each other.:)

Late 70,my "Mates" had a glorious punch-up.That was the end of our "gang".So much for being there for each other!:) You have heard so much about being there for each other-until "Business" gets in the way.

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is not recorded,is the fact that when you are involved in an aggressive situation,that you did take it out on each other.There was always the case of who was in charge-had to prove it.Nothing about the size of check etc.There was more fights between yourself,than other Groups.

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One Mate of mine put another through a Plate Glass Window.When He came out of Hospital,it was all Mates.That was how it was!!!

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Just got my copy of the new book "Where Were You - Dublin Youth Culture & Street Style 1950-2000". a very nicely put together book with nearly every page crammed with photos, many involving images of Teds, Mods and skinheads. Def worth the money imo, wasnt that expensive if I remember correct, and that was shipped from UK to USA

Here are some quick scans of early irish skinhead life.

interesting thing about this one is he has quite a bit of tattoo work, almost looks like it could have been taken in 1981 instead of 1971

1974, interesting that the skinhead look was still prevalent this far into the early 70s in Dublin

Last edited:

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just got my copy of the new book "Where Were You - Dublin Youth Culture & Street Style 1950-2000". a very nicely put together book with nearly every page crammed with photos, many involving images of Teds, Mods and skinheads. Def worth the money imo, wasnt that expensive if I remember correct, and that was shipped from UK to USA
Here are some quick scans of early irish skinhead life.

interesting thing about this one is he has quite a bit of tattoo work, almost looks like it could have been taken in 1981 instead of 1971

1974, interesting that the skinhead look was still prevalent this far into the early 70s in Dublin

Scruffy,aren`t they.

No surprise regarding Irish Skinheads.There was a lot of travelling between U.K. and Ireland,during the 60s and 70s(ask Roy),by normal People-and Bombers.:sarcasm:

Brideshead

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I shall be in Italy on the 19th but will be with you in spirit.

I remember at Ilford Palais in 1969 quite a mixed bag of music. Motown was still strong (I'll pick a Rose for my Rose was my favourite that season). Slow tracks were very varied and included To Love Somebody - Nina Simone and Wichita Lineman - Glen Campbell. Spirit in the Sky was huge. Slightly later I remember it was considered OK to like stuff such as Alright Now by Free and I admit I did!

Music was very important to some but for others there were other priorities as Roy points out. For us aggro was lower on the list as we were a bunch of poofs really. If there were 20 of us (unlikely) and one greaser then maybe....

Going out with a girl was a bit of a double edged sword I always felt. Somehow you were missing out on other stuff - although it was time well spent!

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads