Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Little Queenie

Little Queenie Senior member

I shall be in Italy on the 19th but will be with you in spirit.
    quote]

We will miss you, but hope you have a good trip!

2. buttons

buttons Senior member

Went to a live Mowtown night, with a bunch of mates, about 26 years ago and Marv Johnson did Rose for my Rose - great stuff.
    We went to chat to him at the stage door afterwards.
    He looked at us and in his husky yank accent said "Hey ... skinheads".
    I've got the poster I knicked on the way out somewhere with his signature on.

3. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

Bit 'hippy-ish' if you ask me... :nodding:

:satisfied:

4. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

Heard the expression: '...no show without Punch?'

I'll probably stay over. (I get too pissed to do trains and wouldn't dream of driving... even the following day.) :embar:

5. Little Queenie

What a charming picture you paint.........

6. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

Nothing if not honest... i am, it's been said, a moderately entertaining drunk, mind.

No falling about, no filth, and no nastiness - but a bugger who still reckons he can pull the birds... despite more knock-backs than Quasimodo. :satisfied:

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  7. Aces and Eights

Aces and Eights Senior member

Reading your conversations from last night it was not just reggae we listened to. Tamla was very important and it had romantic undertones and emotion. Some chart music of the time was very popular too. Spirit in the sky and All right Now were great pulsating records.

After being on this thread a few weeks there is certainly a genuine and respectful camaraderie on a subject that’s over 40 years old with input from people all over the country talking of similar experiences. I am quite stunned as the comments being made we could have all been in the same town at that time of what we did, wore and listened to!! I enjoy reading the comments made as they are smack on and you would only know this if you were around at the time – you cannot read experience – you have to be part of that experience.

It was interesting reading last night of the different order of values to gang members of back then. Our gang were a pretty wild lot so status was high among the alpha male aspect. Fights did occur between ourselves but as it was all over the next day and beat of pals again. Clothes had to be right or you did not fit in, while some of you guys the attention to dress detail was / is high and I personally appreciate that now after 40 years because I want to recall and not forget those times as they were exactly and not what I may have thought they were.

Girlfriends were important and you had certain nights you would not see them as it was lads only nights. If something kicked off when you were with your girl on her night you were really gutted as you did not want to miss out on anything happening. We used to be out every night. Amazing when you thing back that after paying Mum her housekeeping everything else was yours to spend on yourselve – clothes, beer, records and girls

York sounds interesting but unfortunately short notice for me this time. I will see if I can get down to Margate in July – I have seen various photos on web and it looks a mix of original 1969 skinheads and later times. From what I can make out was last year your first meeting of the thread at York. It certainly shows that when face to face contact is made the posting conversation and banter becomes clearly more relaxed and beneficial to readers

8. Little Queenie

Well that's alright then!

9. circustavern777

circustavern777 Senior member

when you mention spirit in the sky, we used to have a dance called the KICK we would all be in our pub on a thursday night which was the start to our weekend, there could be 30 of us plus other pals may b not skins, but we could be 50 handed there was one guy always stuck out big dave 6 , 6 tall high leg commando boots check short sleeveshirt braces up he would get to start the dancing then everyone joined in

10. circustavern777

11. circustavern777

i found an intersting old photo of me and a bird i was going out with, she is wearing a very expensive sheepskin , she had a proper original feather cut the mohair skirt ect, my hair has grown out of the crop and i am wearing rupert checks , with a dark red harrington we were just getting on a ride at southend will post when my boy gets in its dated on the back this is gonna be a guess the year competition lol cant make the meet, this time but thank you all for the invite

12. circustavern777

brideshead, you was at the ilford palais in 69, was you from over that manor, i used to go on a saturday afternoon no boozing as we were probaly between 14/15 the music was great i went to see the four tops and the temptations a few years ago down brighton a good night them old tunes you cant beat, but i will always remember at the end of the afternoon dances at the palais they would play it out with BAND OF GOLD by freda payne

13. circustavern777

i was speaking to a pal of mine in the boxing job hes a trainer i was telling him about the forum he is 65 he was a mod but he was in a 60s band called the chasers, he is in two books by terry rawlings. I thought this would be intersting to you colin and the guys as you may well have heard of them , he was the drummer when he left the chasers he joined the nashville teens, also did you no of the 007 club in dalston. junction,, or lou,s cafe in bethnal green also the bamboo cafe in south woodford there also was an old club in ilford called the growling budgie next to the red lion pub

14. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Knew the Four Aces Club,Dalston Lane,E8(right outside the Station).Lou`s Cafe,I know the Name but trying to locate it-in Bethnal Green(could it be near the Salmon and Ball(in the 70s /early 80s,this was called "Tipples").How long was your Mate with the Nashville Teens?Used to like them.The Chasers were out of Romford("Hey Little Girl" sounds a bit like the Teens).:)

15. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Quite years ago,I had the pleasure of personally meeting Marv Johnson,Levi Stubbs,Johnny Bristol,Frankie Gaye(Marvin`s Brother),Kim Weston,Edwin Starr,J.J.Barnes and Bettye Lavette-at a Soul and Motown Weekender in Yarmouth.Absolutely Brilliant!
    When they came and Toured together,I saw David Ruffin,Dennis Edwards and Eddy Kendricks at the Brentwood Sports Centre.Unfortunately quite a few are dead now.R.I.P.