• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Little Queenie

Reaction score

Sandals? Bob The Badger, I thought you were taking the gypsy's and I was waiting for the punchline. :D

I've heard of Mods wearing those blue canvas sailing shoes in the summer ('67 ish) along with nondescript plimsolls, trainers and Converse style 'bumpers' but never sandals. Brilliant stuff.

Yes, that surprised me a bit too! However they're not like the ones I wear which are very feminine looking, but that was what I was picturing when you mentioned them!

Gsvs5

Reaction score
Like these?

I rotate between a few different blazers, so I get the option of different patches. I'm sure it would be much easier to have one and velcro them on!

Yeah....never liked those.I have looked high and low for a picture of the others that I like,but with no luck Buttons?

buttons

Reaction score

Yeah....never liked those.I have looked high and low for a picture of the others that I like,but with no luck Buttons?

Not got any pictures of mine handy (and not going home for a while) but they're all very similar in style, in black, brown or oxblood.
Think my brown pair have brown stitching (or maybe just a lot of polish on!). The steel tipped yellow laces came as standard (with the yellow trim and yellow stitching) but only later on when they were more mass produced (most likely when the leather got thinner as well). Some of you lot could probably say when the yellow trim became standard more accurately, rather than me making assumptions.

These are more sturdy and a bit older (mid to late 60s) before they were fashion boots

Don't shoot the messenger on these ones ....

these again are much older but the same styling

and a high leg American version of a similar cut ....

There's loads of firms churning out variations on the same theme, nowadays but its mostly companies trying to re-spin something old with a modern, expensive slant.

Gsvs5

Reaction score
The third pr down look much like the ones I wore as a kid.

Here's a pic from around 68 with the blazer trim.

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The third pr down look much like the ones I wore as a kid. Here's a pic from around 68 with the blazer trim.
"Be seeing you":happy: That blazer always looked sharp on Mr. MacGoohan, but yeah they look a bit goofy in the flesh. Speaking of monkeys and all that, I recently picked up a generic, less expensive version of this nice, simple monkey jacket(or as here they call it, a "baseball jacket"). It's got a soft white cotton lining and is relatively thin, good for a South Boston spring.
Did the original monkey jackets have zips or buttons, or both?

Last edited:

Aces and Eights

Reaction score

Your picture above but in dark brown were the ones we had 67/68 as 13/14 year olds. On your other ones it shows the 3 screws at the toe end and this was the area that came unstuck. I can hear the slap, slap , slap as I walked along even now !!

Aces and Eights

Reaction score
"Be seeing you"
happy.gif

That blazer always looked sharp on Mr. MacGoohan, but yeah they look a bit goofy in the flesh.

Speaking of monkeys and all that, I recently picked up a generic, less expensive version of this nice, simple monkey jacket(or as here they call it, a "baseball jacket"). It's got a soft white cotton lining and is relatively thin, good for a South Boston spring.

Did the original monkey jackets have zips or buttons, or both?
Yes the blazer was not ideal but The Prisoner series at the time was iconic and way ahead of its time for us young'uns. I recall watching it repeated on TV around 1976 and then again about 10 years ago - never got bored with it

The monkey jackets I recall from around 67 were similar design to yours but with no striping or motifs and in nylon and always dark blue - also referred to as 'Blue Zippers'

Another monkey jacket that we had the following year or two were in suede - again also referred to as 'Suede Zippers' - we didn't make life complicated

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, remember it well. In order to help fund my habit I used to travel on a platform ticket (train spotters used them) from Chelmsford in Essex and at Richmond I would say I had got on at the previous station thus saving about 12 bob overall, which was a lot in those days! Only got caught once, and that was when I got really greedy and didn't even buy the platform ticket. sorry - double post.

Last edited:

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can confirm, being one of them , that many mod/skinheads spent almost their entire wages in John's shop in Richmond, by the mid 60's Mod had passed away and it evolved into a Mod/Skin/Ivy league individual.

Save up for weeks, 65 bus to Richmond, you knew exactly what you were going to buy, because that's all you could afford, but leave just enough for a coffee at L'Auberge coffee bar about 50 yards from the shop, it had a patio area that you could see from and more importantly been seen from,
Yes, I remember that. I used to help fund my habit by saving on the train fare from Chelmsford in Essex. We would get a platform ticket (used by train spotters in those days) switch to the tube at Stratford and eventually end up at Richmond. Here we would persuade the ticket collector we got on at the previous stop thus saving about 12 bob overall - a lot in those days.

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

All right i iam burning the midnight oil ? Lasstye did you ever hear of the MVM from Maida Vale? Maida Vale Monsters/mobsters? (Dennis,Murphy,s,Pete Mac etc?)

Maida Vale is a area that is just south of Kilburn... about two mins walk...Never heard of those blokes or MVM Gsvs5. I had about Six mates out of Dibden House council estate Maida Vale..who was part of the Kilburn mob.

One famous person out of Dibden House, Bradley Wiggins..Tour de France winner and Mod,:D

Last edited:

Gsvs5

Reaction score
The MVM thing was a bit of conversation in a pub that I recall with some lads from there and it stuck in my mind.They were probably just larking around with that name amongst themselves,but I never knew.Yeah I know the area well as i used to do some painting around that area and hit the Pubs now and again.
I just was talking to an old mate from N.London who told me he always used to have a Wrigleys Juicy Fruit wrapper to hand to the ticket collector.He was away before they clocked him !

Gsvs5

Reaction score
Thats a nice jacket Botolph.I had one in Navy with sky blue and white stripes on the trim.They were always zip front,not like the American ones with press studs or buttons.

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thats a nice jacket Botolph.I had one in Navy with sky blue and white stripes on the trim.They were always zip front,not like the American ones with press studs or buttons.

Ta. I'm not one to go all stereotypical Boston(Yankmod would know what I mean) but I couldn't resist. The navy jacket w/ sky/white sounds NICE. Gotta keep my eyes peeled for one.

yankmod

Reaction score
Ta. I'm not one to go all stereotypical Boston(Yankmod would know what I mean) but I couldn't resist. The navy jacket w/ sky/white sounds NICE. Gotta keep my eyes peeled for one.
I like it Botolph.Will look good walkin the streets of Southie(didn't know thats where you live) Back in the Early 80's Southie kids was well represented in the Boston Indie Rock scene(in various sub genres) I can see your carrying the torch.Big Up.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads