Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Sirryacus

Sirryacus Senior member

Funny stuff that guy is from my hometown.

2. Bob the Badger

Bob the Badger Senior member

I'm grateful you posted that photo Bunty otherwise I would have come across as bit of a twat. The Scholl sandals were pre-skinhead for us but all the boys that wore them later became skinheads, because of their interest in clothes and trends.

3. Bob the Badger

The Scholl sandals weren't Feminine looking, but they were Unisex. Some girls wore the flat ones but I think there was a raised heel version for them.
    I think I've probably said enough about Scholl sandals. I might lose any credibility I have. Time to move on, but I will be returning to the intial badge blazers. I just need some photo evidence from Buttons (or I need to go into the loft and find some old photos of me and my mates). There has been one photo on this site with a boy wearing such a blazer.

4. Bob the Badger

I had a nylon monkey jacket in '67 bought from Romford market, but mine was brown and one size too big for me (I never did grow into it). As you say simple with just a zipper, no striping, no logos, cheap as chips. I remember the suede zippers but they were more pricey.

5. buttons

buttons Senior member

Does Bunty get the credit for all the photos on here?!
    Only kidding.
    Its an interesting thing to throw in the mix though. I've learned lots of little things like that on here.

6. Bob the Badger

Sorry buttons. My mistake. Great detective work with the photos.

7. buttons

buttons Senior member

Depends on what kind of picture you're looking for!
    Would be far better if made a trip to the loft.

8. Bob the Badger

That is a 'classic' look buttons and could have been me in 1969, down at Ilford Palais on a Sunday night. I had made-to-measure POW trousers in a dark grey to go with the blazer which had a centre vent and metal buttons and patch pockets .My badge on the patch top pocket had my three initials in a gold shield. I wore Squire shop or Bronx shop shirts but in '69 it would have probably been a Ben Sherman. I have the badge in the loft and will post it to see if it stirs any memories. We never had our football team badge because wearing one in London could lead you into a 'situation' that might get out of hand.

9. yankmod

yankmod Senior member

Jeremy Renner (great actor) in the Town(good flick about Chelsea). M.O.M.love the pic.I've seen those type of shoes on the shelves and online in the past couple years.Nice Guitar too. Buttons,Tight as Fcuk man (as always)

10. bunty

bunty Senior member

M-o-M These are the blue canvas shoes that I meant, also worn by the Villagers in The Prisoner. I like your higher ankle ones too.

[​IMG]

1967 (of course)

Buttons - Great photo, are you dancing in a giant tambourine?...all this psychedelia eh?

11. Botolph

Botolph Senior member

Were they wearing Keds/Pro-Keds in the Prisoner? Or perhaps Superga plimsols?

12. elwood

elwood Senior member

Definitely 1971. Black barathea, as you say - I think that was the type of cloth? Saw the Red Rose badge most often but do remember a few Twisted Wheels. Never really saw football team badges in my neck of the woods. As in London that probably invited too much "close interest", ahem. The Lancashire Rose was more neutral in that sense (until you crossed the Pennines, of course) and as the Lancs CC team was all-conquering in one-day cricket at the time, everyone identified with it even more - at least that's my theory.

I do remember double rear vents. And silver buttons were essential; usually four or five on the sleeve but I can distinctly remember seeing someone with a Twisted Wheel badged blazer with what must have been a dozen buttons on the sleeves right the way to his elbows!

Had PoW check with thin red line myself. Went well with the red socks - and wasn't seen as a matter of football allegiance amongst my mates (or I wouldn't have worn them). Will have to get the light blue variety now though I think.

13. Basset

Basset Senior member

That description, thats you that is, good nite, went for the colour brown so's to celebrate the fact that i could drink brown splits and hide spillages/ dribbles when i'd had to much.
    Blazers, one of my favourite garments, i look a bit worse for wear in this pic, but not as bad as Frank Mclintock who appears to have had a wee accident [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. McDermott

McDermott Well-Known Member

I sometimes wear this one, Patch pockets, Centre vent but horn style buttons. usually wear it with POW strides also...
    Badge is in the centre of pocket but leaned in to take a photo [​IMG]

...And of course, No second rate manchester badge for me [​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Botolph

Botolph Senior member

(Back in the originals' days)When wearing the blazers, were the 3/2 roll type preferred or a 2-button? How about vents, double or single, hook? Natural Ivy style shoulders? Patch pockets I presume?