• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Agreed.
Before I had access to a computer,everything was done by word of mouth and advertising.I continued to keep buying button fly stf Levis and wasting money because they were never quite the same (as what I had originally worn) It is only in recent years that due to the internet I discovered Levis had changed the cut and shape continuously over the years and it was only Denim nerds who actually knew this.It infuriated me no end that I had been screwed around with.Then along comes the LVC line that promises you the "Original"Originals at 10 times what they are charging for regular 501 Button Fly stf Levis......Well Fcuk OFF Levis.

If I am going to shell out circa $300 for 50's cut Jeans,then i'll pay $300 to one of the Japanese companies that do a better job than Levis ( Sugar Canes,Samurai,Fullcount,SDA,Warehouse )
I was in London a couple of weeks ago and couldn't believe the lack of knowlege when I was shopping around for Denim.
The exception and standout is Rudy at Son of Stag in Brick Lane,who I didn't see this time round,but is the best I've experienced either side of the pond.

About the best shop in London for Jeans, Have you tried Blue in Green down in Soho NYC?

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Samurai Lee Repros. cross weave...note parallel cut.

Last edited:

Gsvs5

Reaction score
I was just in there the other day to order a pair of Fullcount's.Still prefer talking to Rudy though and dealing with him.BTW Am I the only one who remembers the smell of the new denim in Levis all those years ago? I think it must have been the Indigo they used? Warehouse 15th Aniversarry 1001xx were produced using some special processess that apparently would reproduce many of the characteristics missing from the old days,but I never managed to get near any to know Seemingly they are considered to be some of the finest jeans ever produced according to one of the Japanese Denimheads?

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was just in there the other day to order a pair of Fullcount's.Still prefer talking to Rudy though and dealing with him.BTW Am I the only one who remembers the smell of the new denim in Levis all those years ago? I think it must have been the Indigo they used? Warehouse 15th Aniversarry 1001xx were produced using some special processess that apparently would reproduce many of the characteristics missing from the old days,but I never managed to get near any to know Seemingly they are considered to be some of the finest jeans ever produced according to one of the Japanese Denimheads?

Try Studio D Artisan...Jason [ Get Smart] got me a pair from Osaka saved me about £120...They dye em about 25 times...still breaking them in a year later:)

Gsvs5

Reaction score
I was considering the 101's but have yet to try them.Very close in shape to the 55 Levis I think?
Let's keep this on topic........very 69 mod ;)

elwood

Reaction score
You got any memories of the 1971 European cup semi final legs V Chelsea mate .I heard the Chelsea Skins were in the Kippax ?
Sadly (but for me maybe not - in view of result) I didn't get to that semi. I can't say either that I remember anything specific about this being mentioned by any of my mates who did go. But I'd say it was pretty certain that the Chelsea Skins were in the Kippax. It was a very big terrace; must have been one of the biggest. It held about 26,000, and was unusual in running along the side of the ground rather than being an end. Another reason why they would certainly have been there was at the time of that match I'm pretty sure it was the only terrace. The old Scoreboard End was demolished in the close season after the end of 69-70 season and the new cantilever North Stand didn't open until the start of the 71-72 season. Was lasttye there for that game?

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sadly (but for me maybe not - in view of result) I didn't get to that semi. I can't say either that I remember anything specific about this being mentioned by any of my mates who did go. But I'd say it was pretty certain that the Chelsea Skins were in the Kippax. It was a very big terrace; must have been one of the biggest. It held about 26,000, and was unusual in running along the side of the ground rather than being an end. Another reason why they would certainly have been there was at the time of that match I'm pretty sure it was the only terrace. The old Scoreboard End was demolished in the close season after the end of 69-70 season and the new cantilever North Stand didn't open until the start of the 71-72 season. Was lasttye there for that game?

I was at both Semis in 71..We ran em outside.

Just to add their was thousands of us Chelsea that went up there..I would not know if we was in the Kippax never knew what their end was called, What sticks in my mind us Kilburn was walking outside and a brick came over caught my mate Gerry on the heal..he just turned around and steamed into them us following they just legged it..
Thats all i remember of the whole night. we won both legs I.0 and 01

Last edited:

Gsvs5

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alex Roest
An educated guess would be they were e.g. Sero or Troy. Here's a good source for NOS shirts:

http://shop.oconnellsclothing.com/new_old_stock.php

I have spoken to J Simons Years ago about the make's he sold, got fcuk all out of him, Maybe Kingstonian can help us on this one,

J Press is another possible make, Whats got to be remembered, Their was hundreds of American shirt makes back then most that are no longer in business.

Sero.

I am 99.9% sure.Not sure if he carried Sero or if they did private label for him though? I had a shop in Manhattan in the mid 90's and I used to buy a few things from them?
Golden Bear in San Francisco also did the thinsulate lined Leather Harrington that I believe he sold in Covent Garden.It is heavy,very warm and great quality leather.
I believe they still do one but the style has changed a little and I haven't handled one.

Last edited:

Lerk

Reaction score
By the way, there are several nice skinhead/hard mod/suedehead/60s soccer-terrace photo boards on pinterest. Even seen domen of the Pics of MoM from here in there

elwood

Reaction score
Everyone got in the Kippax - it was too big for City to keep it.

It was always split virtually 50:50 when we (United) played 'em there.

I went every season (we were in the same division) from 1968-80.

Title 20 coming up!
happy.gif
The Kippax certainly was big, holding 26,000 - not sure if there was a bigger terrace at the time? By the same token, it was too big for anyone to "take" it. Apart from derby games (or occasionally against Liverpool or Everton) I never really saw absolute masses of away support; they were usually in the uncovered corner by the Platt Lane and the bit of the covered terrace nearest to it.

You must have been there at the first derby game I went to, Ed. November 1969. Something that stands out in my memory is the sound of sharpened pennies thrown between the sets of supporters pinging off the inside of the Kippax roof and then whistling down on some poor sod. I saw a bloke being taken across the pitch by St. John's ambulancemen; he turned round to look back at the Kippax and he was dripping blood from forehead to shoes.

I was also in the Scoreboard End at the Old Trafford derby in the late 70s when that lad was taken out with a dart sticking out of the bridge of his nose. Can't remember if he was a Red or a Blue but it was a pretty sobering sight.

Back in late 60s/ early 70s, crowd segregation was anywhere from basic (a thin blue line) to non-existent so the consequences were predictable. I think it was the early 73 derby at Maine Road where they tried something more sophisticated - a rope (!) from the top of the stand to the bottom with coppers either side. When Doyle and Macari were sent off, they refused to leave the pitch. In all the "excitement" the rope broke and it all kicked off. The ref took the teams off for about 10 minutes until order was restored.

By the mid/ late-70s the rope had become a fence (splitting the terrace about 3/4 home support to 1/4 away) and then a double fence with a gap in between for the coppers to patrol. Things were settling down inside grounds a bit more by then but outside was still another story.

(I'll not respond to your Title 20 comment
eek.gif
)

loempiavreter

Reaction score
Really enjoy reading your recollections Gsvs5, welcome aboard!

Not the best photo's, it's all blurry and stuff... but I post them anyway. Found on friendsunited from a fella named Kevin O'Shea:

The man in red.....don't no why I twas wearing a jumper ( probably nervous!lol!) in the summer! This blind date. was doomed from the start.....as I was a rude boy/x skin head and she (on my right) was a hairy/70's flower power....peace man gal, shame coz she twas FIT !lol!

1st hols WITHOUT the parents......camping up da top of de hill in Hastings.....site charged half a crown per nite!!! Cooking Brekie with me 'Ben Sherman' on.............had BETTER clothes then than NOW !lol!

Strolling down the sea front in Hastings....with me Brutus shirt, Levi Stay Press & Brogue shoes with luminous socks on!!!

flyfronted

Reaction score
It seems to me, that Selvedge has been made so important to have, that the point has been missed and skewed somewhat.

I think I'm right by thinking that all Levi's were made with selvedge back then, so it would have just been part of the Jeans, and not something to particularly look for.

It seems to be so important in "Skinhead Circles" (Hate the word it like that, but fit for purpose) to have Selvedge seams, that it no longer matters what the cut of the Jean is like, or the Colour/Denim, or anything else about them tbh. I've seen some god awful LVC jeans, where there's bloody selvedge everywhere.

Just my Take on how I see it (for what its worth).

Oh and Welcome aboard Gsvs5.....

Really enjoying your Posts.
Yes all Big E levis had selvedge thats what made the turn up look so good . I agree that Son of Stag is the best gaff in London for jeans , i love the Studio D'Artisan brand they import from Japan.

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes all Big E levis had selvedge thats what made the turn up look so good . I agree that Son of Stag is the best gaff in London for jeans , i love the Studio D'Artisan brand they import from Japan.

The selvage is important thats why the Japanese bought all the old Levi looms...all Japanese Jean makers have the selvedge......Some years ago I went on the Samurai Jeans website...which is mostly in Japanese..I ordered a pair ..got to the checkout it was all in Japanese writing..so i guessed where to put my address and bank details ...pressed the button....three days later a beautiful parcel was outside my door....open the box and saw the jeans...just like the old big E Levis...you could stand em up...The great thing they put sample so i paid no import or vat duties...Over the years i have got to know the girl at Samurai...If I want a pair i just email her.
Samurai are hard to get hold of outside Japan...most are sold in the home market...also with the ongoing copyright problems with Levis they don't sell outside Japan with the Arcs and Red tap. The have to be remove..check Blue and Green in NYC to see what i mean.:)

Last edited:

Gsvs5

Reaction score
Here's a couple of things I have found that show almost exactly what was worn in my town around '68.The the stone monkey jacket is a vintage Gant

cotton and the shoes are a recent Tim Little edition.Our Monkey jackets were unlined and usually very light nylon,but often in a pale stone,pale blue with contrasting stripes.Originally the shoes would have been Air Force Surplus parade shoes,but the shape and look of these recent ones is bang on.Topped of with a nice pair of square cut aviators for the summer similar to these Caravans.

Anyone ever used Tim Little shoes from the Kings Road?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads