Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Senior Member

Here's a couple of things I have found that show almost exactly what was worn in my town around '68.The the stone monkey jacket is a vintage Gant [​IMG]

cotton and the shoes are a recent Tim Little edition.Our Monkey jackets were unlined and usually very light nylon,but often in a pale stone,pale blue with contrasting stripes.Originally the shoes would have been Air Force Surplus parade shoes,but the shape and look of these recent ones is bang on.Topped of with a nice pair of square cut aviators for the summer similar to these Caravans.[​IMG]

Anyone ever used Tim Little shoes from the Kings Road?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Lasttye

Lasttye Distinguished Member

Been in Tim Little Shop its only ten mins walk from where i live...Not bad shoes. Monkey Jackets and Aviators have been discussed earlier in the thread.

3. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Senior Member

Sorry,didn't intend to overlap/repeat discussions.

4. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Senior Member

Part of my latent thinking in my previous post was to illustrate the "clean freshness" of the look if you will.Today I see so much of the Black Harringtons,Navy monkeys,Black FP'S,all dark colours worn together and to me a very dull and somber image which as I recall was not the case.When lads opted for a Levi cord jacket instead of the denim it was usually in a Stone colour. For example,the sharpest lads always had a lot of contrast with the colours such as a dark green lambswool with a lemon Ben Sherman and stone sta-prest.Sorry if i'm getting a bit too of here,but it's how I see it.

5. Botolph

Botolph Senior Member

That's defo a sharp look you're describing and there's certainly a good point in what you're saying.
    I've worn the lemon buttondown/dark green v-neck with stone Brooks Bros stone stay prest and black gunboats w/lemon socks combo; it's a nice("fresh" as you aptly put it)look! Also you stand out from all the all-black clad, North Face jacket wearing mob by a mile.

6. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Senior Member

[​IMG]

These are the Whiskey Boys from Smethwick in the West Midlands in 1968 and they pretty much sum up how I remember it.Certainly towards the end of Mod as is generally thought,but these lads would still be calling themselves Mod for another few years I believe

7. Gramps

Gramps Senior Member

How many of you remember the Jackets being referred to as "Monkey Jackets", I hadn't actually heard the Term until the late 90's I think.
    Most of the people I spoke to prior to that always called the "Sufrers" which I presumed was the Beach Boys Influence.

8. natrodgers79

natrodgers79 Member

Them monkey jackets are Bangers.

9. natrodgers79

natrodgers79 Member

The monkey jacket today is still a mainstay basic, providing you can get a decent one.

10. catchourbreath

catchourbreath Well-Known Member

If I was looking for a collared button down shirt, but straying away from Ben Sherman, Fred Perry or The Merc where would I look? Not breaking the bank would be a huge plus ($40 range)

11. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior Member

I had a 'surfer jacket' in 68/69,but my mother referred to it as my 'monkey jacket'.

Maybe because I had very long arms - unusual for a Scot :satisfied: - and my knuckles trailed when i walked. :nodding:

12. Gramps

Gramps Senior Member

So Its your Mams Fault then Eh? ;)

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013

13. bunty

bunty Senior Member

I've heard them called 'Surfer' and 'Beach Boy' jackets by original lads, but just to confuse things, they were known as 'Golfing' jackets when I were a nipper.

I don't want to dilute this thread too much, but these are such good photos. They are all of the same fella from Friends Reunited (no name unfortunately) Took me ages to work out how to load the bleedin' things too!

I think that's a Monkey Jacket -

[​IMG]

'Cool Me' 1967

[​IMG]

'Me with Maureen' 1968

[​IMG]

'On My Mate Pete Roe's Lambretta 175' 1965

[​IMG]

'My Mates Pete Roe, Bob Bennett & Keith' 1965

More great stuff here http://www.friendsreunited.com/60-s-mods/b/b585f0fc-6328-46ad-8183-a15800d0b06d

14. Lasttye

Lasttye Distinguished Member

I had one in 68 black Nylon with red stripes on the collar,cuffs and waistband no lining ...we went over monkey Jackets about 400 pagers ago,:)

15. Gramps

Gramps Senior Member

Excellent Pics as usual Bunty mate. The TV is stunning.

Yeah I know that Roy, just wondered whether they were ever referred to as Monkey Jackets as that hadn't been covered.