• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Ed Vaughan

Reaction score

just found this forum! Well pleased! I`m a proud Brummie here, Saw my 1st skins while on Hols in Perranporth easter 69! They were Millwall & I knew that was the look I wanted! Too young for Mods & hated all that hippy **** & worse loads of Bikers givin it the big un..scruffy barstads!!
Loved my football team Birmingham City and within weeks we had our own little crew! By 1972 our firm was major & I loved all the footy agg! Seems stupid now & I`m glad that the game has gone all Genteel, but back in the day every away game was not only a baptism of fire but in many ways a rites of passage from green as grass kid to streetwise adult.

Did so many things back then that make me colour up with justifiable embarrassment but you know what they say its onlt thing you didnt do that you truely regret!!
Grew out of it all when I got married mortgaged & became a Dad..but and an A1 bovver boy who is now a University professor said this to me...Do you know why we got into it?? Because it was so bloody exciting thats why!
Love to hear more from you originals!

Keep Right on Oh & let your Yea be Yea!!

DES
Welcome pal - and if you have any pics, get 'em posted. :nodding:

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

just found this forum! Well pleased! I`m a proud Brummie here, Saw my 1st skins while on Hols in Perranporth easter 69! They were Millwall & I knew that was the look I wanted! Too young for Mods & hated all that hippy **** & worse loads of Bikers givin it the big un..scruffy barstads!!
Loved my football team Birmingham City and within weeks we had our own little crew! By 1972 our firm was major & I loved all the footy agg! Seems stupid now & I`m glad that the game has gone all Genteel, but back in the day every away game was not only a baptism of fire but in many ways a rites of passage from green as grass kid to streetwise adult.

Did so many things back then that make me colour up with justifiable embarrassment but you know what they say its onlt thing you didnt do that you truely regret!!
Grew out of it all when I got married mortgaged & became a Dad..but and an A1 bovver boy who is now a University professor said this to me...Do you know why we got into it?? Because it was so bloody exciting thats why!

DES

Welcome Des
Great introduction, Looking forward to more input & stories from you.:)

bunty

Reaction score

Obviously too much time on my hands... :happy:
things-we-wore.jpg

Similar one here Ed, a very blurred Gill in our back garden, Waltham Cross, 1970 (we think)

Hair totally grown out (never had the 'classic' haircut, more of a Julie Driscoll crop) wearing a men's shirt (when were 'girls fit' shirts available? Queenie?) and what looks like 'wedgies'?

M-o-M - That's incredible Holmes! Those moddy boys in the photo are indeed Londoners - from Finsbury Park.

Good evening Des, welcome mate.

Last edited:

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

DES

Hello Des,welcome to the Forum.

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Re the train pic: I reckon it's 'the Arse', Brownie. :nodding:
The train was probably a whole lot quicker going back to Euston, BTW... some of these little lambs would have been skinned and left half-naked after crossing Stanley Park. :embar:

Serve the B*st*rds right!!!! :D

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Similar one here Ed, a very blurred Gill in our back garden, Waltham Cross, 1970 (we think)

Hair totally grown out (never had the 'classic' haircut, more of a Julie Driscoll crop) wearing a men's shirt (when were 'girls fit' shirts available? Queenie?) and what looks like 'wedgies'?
M-o-M - That's incredible Holmes! Those moddy boys in the photo are indeed Londoners - from Finsbury Park.
Good evening Des, welcome mate.

Good little Photo,Bunty.....

So the Mods were from North London!!!:D

harrysgame

Reaction score

One for Roy:
abeafefb1775bcdec36d9c59ed895122ccd7cd04032fa8874e25999f4aa306b7.jpg

After beating Leeds United in the 1970 Cup final replay at Old Trafford, Chelsea fans camp in Euston Station ahead of the start of the team's victory parade.
Nice leather jacket.
(Sport and General/S&G and Barratts/EMPICS Sport)

I dont believe that is a leather jacket, unless its a leather Harrington. If you blow the picture up you can see its a Harrington Jacket with the collar folded down.

harrysgame

Reaction score

I have put this up before yank mod, this is The Kilburn Aggro Mob, This small clip was just part of a documentary about the Kilburn Mob, The clip is in the Phoenix Youth Club, Their was a live Reggae band on that night ..paid for by the BBC,
The Girl in the front with my mate Tony is Noreen, I was having a drink with her last friday
Just to add the Northern girl at the end.. and the skinhead with head tattoos is nothing to do with the documentary, or is the music, both must of been added years later.

At 12 seconds Roy. Geezer with the Tache, bit rare for a london skinhead to have a tache in those days wern't it?

yankmod

Reaction score
Great color photos Ed.Always need more photos of the girls.I agree with Harrysgame,it's def a Harrington,although it does have a shiny quality.I posted the Desmond Dekker remix cause I wanted to ask if you Orig.'s still listen to recent(last 20 years)Reggae.Welcome home Des.The Orig.'s like you on this thread are Top Boys.Should be an interesting exchange travelin down memory lane.

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

At 12 seconds Roy. Geezer with the Tache, bit rare for a london skinhead to have a tache in those days wern't it?

Well spotted Alan, Thats Jim G, Always thought he looked out of place.. He was half a Skinhead lol, their was loads like him back then [without the tache though] he must of been the only one in London with one... clueless,:D

Just got to add and be fair to Jim , he was one of the older Lads...most of the older gang members did not dress full on Skinhead.

Last edited:

buttons

Reaction score

I dont believe that is a leather jacket, unless its a leather Harrington. If you blow the picture up you can see its a Harrington Jacket with the collar folded down.

I thought Ed must have meant somewhere else - thought it was obviously a harrington.
Mind you, I've got a couple of 60s leather harringtons. Not very common (and expensive) at the time. Can't post any pics as not at home but can later if anyone's interested.
Any of the older crowd remember these?

By the way, YM - no sign of the turned out seam on the jeans (where you 'd see the selvedge) - that's why I thought (unless he's stitched them badly) they'd not be Levis (or Lee Riders for that matter).

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I thought Ed must have meant somewhere else - thought it was obviously a harrington.
Mind you, I've got a couple of 60s leather harringtons. Not very common (and expensive) at the time. Can't post any pics as not at home but can later if anyone's interested.
Any of the older crowd remember these?
By the way, YM - no sign of the turned out seam on the jeans (where you 'd see the selvedge) - that's why I thought (unless he's stitched them badly) they'd not be Levis (or Lee Riders for that matter).

Never saw a Leather Harrington in the 60s just like i never saw a Barracuda, The only Harrington I remember was made by Sky Jump, Most of us had three of four, Once Skinhead dress became popular..you could get all sorts of kit from the markets. So maybe one of the sweatshops down the East End made leather Harringtons, ??????

buttons

Reaction score

Never saw a Leather Harrington in the 60s just like i never saw a Barracuda, The only Harrington I remember was made by Sky Jump, Most of us had three of four, Once Skinhead dress became popular..you could get all sorts of kit from the markets. So maybe one of the sweatshops down the East End made leather Harringtons, ??????

I think once the harrington became a popular item (and it was very popular with skinheads!), other versions came along - more obscure coplours, dogtooth, Prince of Wales, Tonik, cord, leather, suede, tartan. Another regional thing but some of these became popular, some never caught on.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads