• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Ed Vaughan

Reaction score

Arnold Palmer was another one that I recall but not sure whether that was an actual 'brand' as such.
Anyway, different subject - just found this pic on the Skinhead Revolt site and if I'm not mistaken the copper appears to be wearing my old favourites, Monkey boots - thought it was de rigeur for coppers to wear DMs in the mid 70s?
I recall, here in Manchester, you'd even spot Plod in DM shoes.

It's all paramilitary footwear now, of course.

Lerk

Reaction score
Oh right, i have another question. In some earlier posts i saw some Chelsea bloke (Eccles? Eccley) in something resembling a green harrington, where would one get one of those in that particular colour? I already have a beige FP Harrington and a original Barracuta G9, but the one that he's wearing in those photos is really splendid, i must find one!

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh right, i have another question. In some earlier posts i saw some Chelsea bloke (Eccles? Eccley) in something resembling a green harrington, where would one get one of those in that particular colour? I already have a beige FP Harrington and a original Barracuta G9, but the one that he's wearing in those photos is really splendid, i must find one!

I have me an olive green/almost olive drab Baracuta G9; it's los huevos del perro. I think it's the Acorn colored one, and very similar to Eccles's harry.

'sthat the one you mean?

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Danny is probably wearing a Skyjump Harrington, thats what we all wore back in 69, every colour was available, no one wore a Barracuta ..infact no one would have know their existence, and if they did.. and someone wore one , they would have had the piss taken out of them.. why? The collars are ****.:)

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Try the Site Ben Nevis(sorry not able to put Link up).There is a Range of Colours on there.

Lerk

Reaction score
I Foundation the Ben nevis site. I guess the "khaki Green" is the one most like the one worn in the photos?

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just one question; The white shirts of the early era, are they of some special kind/brand? Or are they just generic white shirts?

I presume you mean shirts like the one I'm wearing in this pre-Ben-Sherman pic?

"Generic' is a good word for it. Just a regular white shirt...

flyfronted

Reaction score
Quote:

Interesting. What would that sort of clobber be, and did it influence the early skinheads or the Mods before them that may have gone to fooball?
I do know that the whole origins of the dresser/casual thing was claimed by those Mersey-centric scallies and what have you, and they say that the Southerners were copying them. Suppose that's a debate for a whole other thread though.
laugh.gif

I was just referring to the rabid one-upmanship of both cults. Granted, these days skinhead is more of an ideal uniform than "casual" or "dresser", but they defintely have parallels in working class "dress better than your betters" ethic and week-to-week "keep up in the back" policy.
Well easier to look at those Soul boy pics from the mid 70's a few pages back to see where the early Baby skins had morphed into and where the London ' casual ' ( again just like Skinhead a term not really used until the press coined it ) lads took much of there look from . Like all youth cults a bit comes from here , a bit from there and a dollop of the previous generations clobber . Sure there are items that can be traced to mickeys illegal shopping trips to France but many more that go back as far as London Mod and Soul Boy ( Desert boots , Lois , Lacoste , Macs ( Burberry if you were very lucky ) slacks ). All generations of London's boys have influenced each other in fact quite a few of us have been examples of the lot at some time.

flyfronted

Reaction score
Danny is probably wearing a Skyjump Harrington, thats what we all wore back in 69, every colour was available, no one wore a Barracuta ..infact no one would have know their existence, and if they did.. and someone wore one , they would have had the piss taken out of them.. why? The collars are ****.
smile.gif

I thought the Ivy shop sold the Barracuta back in the late 60s , i never made it there being 10 and living 15 miles away but even in our playground the shop and the 'real Harrington ' was legendary .

Ed Vaughan

Reaction score

Danny is probably wearing a Skyjump Harrington, thats what we all wore back in 69, every colour was available, no one wore a Barracuta ..infact no one would have know their existence, and if they did.. and someone wore one , they would have had the piss taken out of them.. why? The collars are ****.:)
... and many of us (in t' north) wouldn't have been able to afford the Barracuta, anyway.

(Flash Londoners.) :happy:

Brideshead

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
With regard to green harringtons, I have a G9 in 'Loden' - not sure they still do this shade.

Not sure either that the collars are ****, but they do seem a bit insubstantial compared to say a Ben Nevis collar.

Last edited:

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I presume you mean shirts like the one I'm wearing in this pre-Ben-Sherman pic?

"Generic' is a good word for it. Just a regular white shirt...

I still like the White Shirts,from that time-always looked good with a Tie loose and the top Button undone(with a Sleeveless Pullover).Kind of "Smart Casual".

"Soulboys" started a lot of Fashions,that became vogue later.Was in Scarborough this Week and saw some "Plastic Jelly Sandals".That took me back to those days.:)

Brideshead

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

I still like the White Shirts,from that time-always looked good with a Tie loose and the top Button undone(with a Sleeveless Pullover).Kind of "Smart Casual".
"Soulboys" started a lot of Fashions,that became vogue later.Was in Scarborough this Week and saw some "Plastic Jelly Sandals".That took me back to those days.:)

That pic to me looks as if mens style had just reached its zenith - even the skinhead look, as it became, did not reach those heights.

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With regard to green harringtons, I have a G9 in 'Loden' - not sure they still do this shade.

Not sure either that the collars are ****, but they do seem a bit insubstantial compared to say a Ben Nevis collar.

THAT's the color I have; Loden. Very nice Brideshead, and pretty amazing you were able to find a check shirt that doesn't clash horribly with the Frazer tartan lining of the 'cuta.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads