Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Pressure_Drop

Pressure_Drop Senior member

Arnold Palmer was another one that I recall but not sure whether that was an actual 'brand' as such.

Anyway, different subject - just found this pic on the Skinhead Revolt site and if I'm not mistaken the copper appears to be wearing my old favourites, Monkey boots - thought it was de rigeur for coppers to wear DMs in the mid 70s?

[​IMG]

2. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

I recall, here in Manchester, you'd even spot Plod in DM shoes.

It's all paramilitary footwear now, of course.

3. Lerk

Lerk Well-Known Member

Oh right, i have another question. In some earlier posts i saw some Chelsea bloke (Eccles? Eccley) in something resembling a green harrington, where would one get one of those in that particular colour? I already have a beige FP Harrington and a original Barracuta G9, but the one that he's wearing in those photos is really splendid, i must find one!

4. Botolph

Botolph Senior member

I have me an olive green/almost olive drab Baracuta G9; it's los huevos del perro. I think it's the Acorn colored one, and very similar to Eccles's harry.

[​IMG]

'sthat the one you mean?

5. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Danny is probably wearing a Skyjump Harrington, thats what we all wore back in 69, every colour was available, no one wore a Barracuta ..infact no one would have know their existence, and if they did.. and someone wore one , they would have had the piss taken out of them.. why? The collars are shit.:)

6. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Try the Site Ben Nevis(sorry not able to put Link up).There is a Range of Colours on there.

7. Lerk

Lerk Well-Known Member

I Foundation the Ben nevis site. I guess the "khaki Green" is the one most like the one worn in the photos?

8. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

I presume you mean shirts like the one I'm wearing in this pre-Ben-Sherman pic?

[​IMG]

"Generic' is a good word for it. Just a regular white shirt...

9. flyfronted

flyfronted Senior member

Well easier to look at those Soul boy pics from the mid 70's a few pages back to see where the early Baby skins had morphed into and where the London ' casual ' ( again just like Skinhead a term not really used until the press coined it ) lads took much of there look from . Like all youth cults a bit comes from here , a bit from there and a dollop of the previous generations clobber . Sure there are items that can be traced to mickeys illegal shopping trips to France but many more that go back as far as London Mod and Soul Boy ( Desert boots , Lois , Lacoste , Macs ( Burberry if you were very lucky ) slacks ). All generations of London's boys have influenced each other in fact quite a few of us have been examples of the lot at some time.

10. flyfronted

flyfronted Senior member

I thought the Ivy shop sold the Barracuta back in the late 60s , i never made it there being 10 and living 15 miles away but even in our playground the shop and the 'real Harrington ' was legendary .

11. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

... and many of us (in t' north) wouldn't have been able to afford the Barracuta, anyway.

(Flash Londoners.) :happy:

12. Brideshead

Brideshead Senior member

With regard to green harringtons, I have a G9 in 'Loden' - not sure they still do this shade.

[​IMG]

Not sure either that the collars are shit, but they do seem a bit insubstantial compared to say a Ben Nevis collar.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012

13. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

I still like the White Shirts,from that time-always looked good with a Tie loose and the top Button undone(with a Sleeveless Pullover).Kind of "Smart Casual".

"Soulboys" started a lot of Fashions,that became vogue later.Was in Scarborough this Week and saw some "Plastic Jelly Sandals".That took me back to those days.:)

14. Brideshead

Brideshead Senior member

That pic to me looks as if mens style had just reached its zenith - even the skinhead look, as it became, did not reach those heights.

15. Lerk

Lerk Well-Known Member

Ordinary Solovair or perhaps the Mikkel Rude 1969 by solovair?