Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Going by the Guy with the Brown Jumper,I would possibly put the Photo in the early to mid 70s.Just trying to remember-I had a Beige one like it.The "T" Shirt,under the Flight Jacket is Lonsdale.
    Slough was a dodgy Place-at the best of times.Knew a Dj who came from there-right about the Record Shop and "Americas".

2. flyfronted

flyfronted Senior member

those pics are from 75 - 79 id say the flight jacket pic is 78 .. the soul fraternity and football lads wore em first ( as soul boys did lonsdale sweatshirts and even lonsdale boxing boots for a short period )before the boneheads / revivalists nicked and bastardised the look.

3. Ivyskin89

Ivyskin89 Senior member

4. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

Shamelessly stolen from FR - 1970.

[​IMG]

5. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

6. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

I was just trawling for something else and came across these pics of model Paula Boyd from 1969. Apart from the fact that she is almost a dead ringer for my g/f of the time, and apart from the fact that she is wearing arty clothing, that hairstyle is pretty close to what our girls wore. It's not quite a 'centre-crop' but it's close.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Darksideoftheforce

Darksideoftheforce Well-Known Member

They're called "Ugg" boots and you're right girls wear them year round here in scorching hot Los Angeles too.

8. Ivyskin89

Ivyskin89 Senior member

[​IMG]
    So I've got an original one of these by Ben Sherman from about 69/70. I will post pics of it in the near future. I've found a factory near me that said the can do a run of em. I will post pics of the prototype when it's done. Does anyone dig the puppy ear collar?

9. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

My younger Sister had a similar Cut-early `69.Then grew it longer.

10. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

And they say Fellas are mad!!!! :)

11. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

A very popular look back in the day - love it! :satisfied:

12. Pressure_Drop

Pressure_Drop Senior member

Hi guys, some of you may remember me from earlier on in the year, I made a few contributions and added one or two pics from the original Bristol skinhead scene.

Anyways I've been preoccupied with a few things lately (namely finding a job!) and writing my first novel 'Guilty Tiger' so I'm now back on here shamelessly plugging it. There was an article about me in the local press recently and the book, if anyone's interested, is now available on Amazon.

The book has as its backdrop the use of illicit drugs in the Premiership, the anti hero is a middle aged ex skinhead who yearns for the old days on the terraces, but he also battles with his old phobias and prejudices. He's a tortured and disgruntled old soul - but he still has a lot of class about him and takes great pride in his appearance and despairs of the youth of today and their lack of sartorial style.

The title Guilty Tiger has been influenced by the reggae song 'Guilty' by the band 'Tiger' - it's an old favourite of mine and makes an appearance in the book as do many other classic skinhead tunes from that era.

OK shameless plug over, I shall try and contribute again to this epic and intriguing thread - hopefully one day the book behind the thread will also get published. :)

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/Bris...erary-career/story-16880115-detail/story.html

13. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Is the "Middle aged ex-Skinhead"anybody you know,who you have based the Character on? Sounds about right for me-"disgruntled old soul"((don`t know about the tortured bit tthough!!!) :)

14. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

and I sssstttttutter as well!!!!!

15. Pressure_Drop

Pressure_Drop Senior member

They say to write about what you know... I've drawn on lots of characters I've met over the years, but hmmm, disgruntled middle-aged ex skinhead living in Bristol with a love of reggae and football? Nope can't think of anyone like that :embar: