• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Book Bulletin:
Hi. I am still playing catch-up with the thread - currently got to page 476, getting there slowly.
I have been busy as hell recently and have not had much time to work on the book. Meanwhile more and more lovely material has been posted here and I am reading, fascinated!
I have exams in mid-June, but after that I have some more time free. What I am hoping for is that we can get the book finished and published in time for the Book Fringe at the Edinburgh Festival in 2013, but this might be pushing it. We still might end up having to publish it ourselves, but we'll see.
Meanwhile I am looking forward to York.

Recently,there has been some good Postings from newer Members.This good,because it has kept alive the Thread.:)

soundsnpressure

Reaction score
soundsnpressue - mine is Made in Italy and from a year or two ago now. I had to size up by one. I like your Made in Japan one very much.
I used to really like the ones made in collaboration with Comme des Garcons (I have one from around 2004 that has a zip placket). Are they still doing that do you know?

Made In Italy - I see. very nice. will keep a lookout for these. I thought their Made in Italy was just restricted to knitwear and knitted/textured polo's
Cheers for that.
As for for the zipped placket on the CdesG, I've never seen these before. That range is pretty exclusive tho, they don't tend to revisit previous lines. I'd look after the one you have.

Brideshead

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Made In  Italy - I see. very nice. will keep a lookout for these. I thought their Made in Italy was just restricted to knitwear and knitted/textured polo's
Cheers for that.
As for for the zipped placket on the CdesG, I've never seen these before. That range is pretty exclusive tho, they don't tend to revisit previous lines. I'd look after the one you have.

Yes, the Comme stays in the wardrode mostly. It's black with red tips.

The Italian job is a knitted one - rather like a Smedley Sea Island cotton. This pic may show it better?

Last edited:

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
the Fred Perry CdG collab was just a couple years, around 04-05. Have a vneck and a cardigan from that era, really nice gear. Then they moved onto the Raf Simons collab which was hit/miss, but a few nice pieces

The Japanese line of Fred Perry is great. Many pieces that are not avail outside of Japan at all. Sizing is also different (smaller) and quality fantastic. Always pick up a few bits when in Tokyo

but other than the knitted "sweater polos" which I still wear, I stopped wearing the regular cotton pique polos a couple years ago

Brideshead

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

What Does it Take[ To Win Your love], Junior Walker and the all Stars 1969 - great sound

I hope I have copied this link right ?

Thanks mate. I do recall it now - lovely.

I couldn't resist listening to this long-forgotten song by the Toys that popped up on the screen. Late 1965.

Brideshead

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

the Fred Perry CdG collab was just a couple years, around 04-05. Have a vneck and a cardigan from that era, really nice gear. Then they moved onto the Raf Simons collab which was hit/miss, but a few nice pieces
The Japanese line of Fred Perry is great. Many pieces that are not avail outside of Japan at all. Sizing is also different (smaller) and quality fantastic. Always pick up a few bits when in Tokyo
but other than the knitted "sweater polos" which I still wear, I stopped wearing the regular cotton pique polos a couple years ago

I bought two of the CdG polos in 04 - the other one was not a good fit - big neck, tube like body and not especially high quality fabric. The one that I still have is so much better. I don't wear the standard polos now either.

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought this Italian made Fred Perry in Selfridges a couple of years ago , you can see the knit,

Its to small for me. anyone who wants it, £40, think it cost me £110 from Selfridges, worn it twice.

PM me if you want it.

IMG_0106.jpg

IMG_0107-1.jpg

IMG_0109-1.jpg

Last edited:

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I bought this Italian made Fred Perry in Selfridges a couple of years ago , you can see the knit,
Its to small for me. anyone who wants it, £40, think it cost me £110 from Selfridges, worn it twice.
PM me if you want it.
IMG_0106.jpg

IMG_0107-1.jpg

IMG_0109-1.jpg

Like the Knit-but too small for me though!

Ed Vaughan

Reaction score
Now, here's a dim and distant memory that's just come to me... 'scrubs'.

Saturday mornings/afternoons, the bad lads - it was always fellas - having been arrested and convicted at the Magistrates' courts, would be sentenced to clean floors at schools, police stations community buildings, rather than being locked up. The cleaning was done with a block of soap, a bucket and a... toothbrush.

It was the early days of the 'short, sharp, shock' (it wasn't seen as that back in the day, though), and was a punishment often handed down for what now would be classed as 'anti-social behaviour', and didn't interfere with your job or school attendance.

We all worked, back then: finish a job friday, start a new one Monday is not a myth. I know, I did it several times.

Usually, the 'crimes' were for bovver at the match, a scrap with similar-aged yoofs or petty larceny (shoplifting, criminal damage etc) - and lots of people were pushed/chucked through windows, then - and if you were the 'victim' it was usually you who was nicked. :happy:

The 'Mag' would hand down a set amount of hours where you had to attend - or suffer a more severe sentence - and in most cases, only those who were to go on and take 'crime' to a higher, more long-term level, would fail to fulfil the commitment.

A 'friend' :satisfied: was sentenced to 12 hours, for merely back-chatting a copper, skimming his hat and running away... something tht would normally only warrant a punch in the mouth from plod's oppos - this one was obviously a bit of a wimp, and probably ended up as a 'sir' with a hat full of scrambled egg. :satisfied:

The coppers who ran the 'scrub' sessions were, from memory (cough), ex-forces... and hard as nails. But you weren't there to be 'understood' and psycho-analysed, you were there to keep you away from mates, football (depending on your offence) and/or lying in bed at the weekend.

Offenders were allocated a 'patch' of block-floor to clean and, if you took the piss, talked to mates or got a bit gobby... you'd have a 15-stone, ex-NCO dancing on your work... leading to: 'DO IT AGAIN, YOU WORK-SHY BASTARD!!!

Very few lads I know went back for more. They either didn't get caught, moved on to bigger things :happy: - or grew out of it. It was the first - or last - baby step into crime... or not.

Dunno when it stopped, I can't remember it after 1972... maybe someone else can fill in any blanks?

Last edited:

ek77

Reaction score
another new old pic.. ;)

Skinheads in Coventry's shopping precinct. 4th October 1969 Mirrorpix

ek77

Reaction score
actually this is the same bunch of skinheads we have talked about some pages ago....

Last edited:

ek77

Reaction score
another nice find from 1976 and a strange but funny story about it... someone knows more or the whole truth about it????

Hair - A South Wales comprehensive school head took out his own contract on a group of boys who sauntered into school sucking lollipops wearing dark glasses and proudly displaying Kojak haircuts. He turned hitman when one shaved pupil asked his deputy Who loves ya baby? Mr Basil Phillips of St Cenydd School Caerphilly suspended them for three weeks until their hair had grown to a reasonable length. Three boys whose heads were shaven were Andrew Horne and Leslie Davies both of Francis Street and Colin Woods of Llan Road. all aged 15. Picture shows some of the Kojak kids...Michael Anderson Tony Preece Allan Gittins Colin Woods Russell Tovey Andrew Horne Stephen Porter Terry Miller - 20th May 1976

Ed Vaughan

Reaction score

another new old pic.. ;)

Skinheads in Coventry's shopping precinct. 4th October 1969 Mirrorpix

Wow!

I can't get my head round the guy in the foreground, sitting, wearing what looks like high-waisted flares(!!!) and I'm sure... braces?

It's right - for the time - with the kid wearing the scarf, with club badge sewn on it; (despite his braces being shown outside the jumper) and the haircuts... but 'lionel blairs'?

Diversity really was alive and well, eh? :D

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads