Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

The British in general have become just scruffy slobs, like the Country as a whole no pride in themselves.

2. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

I have friends that pay £700-£800 for suits - OTP - with trouser bottoms like concertinas and jacket sleeves that look like they belong to their big brothers.

And don't get me on polishing shoes... or not, in most cases.

You don't need cash to look smart, just a bit of respect for yourself (and ohers) and pride in your appearance*.

I am now my dad - official. :satisfied:

Edit: *Having ranted at the scruffy... I am, admittedly, a fat bassa! :embar:

Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
  3. Yankee

Yankee Well-Known Member

not sure if it was posted, but:

Bronco Bullfrog (full movie)

4. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

That's probably why I left the place, had enough of it.

Whatever happened to Cool Britannia? ...or was that just a figment of my imagination?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  5. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Interesting.As usual the B.B.C.does not show all the Facts.In it`s Introdution,about Reggae Music,it does not say that Skinheads were responsible for bringing Reggae into a larger (Top Ten)Audience.This has been seconded by a lot of the Reggae Artists.It just says,we followed it.During the 60s and early 70s,when the Record Shops were taking in small Boxes of Records,the Artists and Producers were not getting their proper Money Returns-from the Sales(I never realised this,at the time,just standing listening to the Tunes- to the first five seconds),It was only when it went into the Charts that Artists etc.,got their Money.Who was shafting who here?
    Great Pictures of Brixton and Desmond`s Hip Records(where I went Saturday Mornings).Cllive Barrow(an ex Mod) became the Chief of "Blood and Fire" Reggae Label remembers Friday Night at his local Shop.There were some that went into it deep.:)

6. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

David Rodigan was very influential of Reggae(during 80s/90s),he started Spinning Trojan etc.in the 60s.He was an old Skinhead.Had an interesting Conversation with him about this time.

7. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

8. Yankee

Yankee Well-Known Member

9. Bantam

Bantam Member

Remember the bleached Levis in the very early 70's over in Yorkshire, only casual/scruff wear though.

10. soundsnpressure

soundsnpressure Senior member

Brideshead - I just noticied your recent avatar. Your FP polo with the long placket and three buttons. Nice! At first I thought it was one the FP MADE IN JAPAN polo's. but the buttons aren't white. What type of fp is this mate?

[​IMG]

I stopped wearing FP polo's for a long time, as I'd basically done them to death in the 90's. But recently I bought a couple of 'the made in Japan' versions. I really like them. the fit (Have to size up tho) with the slightly smaller collars, tighter and shorter arm cuffs. And the general quality, same quality as a MIE M12.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  11. Brideshead

Brideshead Senior member

soundsnpressure - mine is Made in Italy and from a year or two ago now. I had to size up by one. I like your Made in Japan one very much.

I used to really like the ones made in collaboration with Comme des Garcons (I have one from around 2004 that has a zip placket). Are they still doing that do you know?

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  12. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

I don't know whether that was the dressing on Levis or what, but you are so right. I would still recognise it.

13. Man-of-Mystery

That's a familiar concept, Roy! :)

14. Man-of-Mystery

I do remember short-sleeved shirts from '69 with a V in them, however. I can't remember whether they were Brutus or Jaytex. Somebody help my old memory...

15. Man-of-Mystery

I'm late onto the 'What were you doing on Bank Holiday' question (p469), but just to say that August BH Monday 1969 I took my girlfriend down to Margate...

That was actually a girl I met at college, rather than one of the local girls. She was my age, a mod from Southampton, one of the small number of people at college who were into soul and West Indian music and didn't dress like hippies - we were a select bunch! I took her to all my haunts - once or twice to the Savoy, once we went up North to Blackpool and went to the Twisted Wheel, and of course there was the BH trip to Margate. It was the day that a seaside photographer took that pic of me when I looked like a 'racing snake' - it's somewhere on the thread.

Anyhow, Dreamland wouldn't let us in - 'No boots!'. I went and bought a pair of beach flip-flops and carried my boots in a bag, meaning to change back into them once inside. 'No jeans' said the bloke at the other gate. I remember giving him a right mouthful, saying that the bloke on the first gate hadn't mentioned anything about jeans, and did he think we were daft enough to wreck a decent pair of strides on a funfair. I know we got in, but I can't remember whether that was later when they pulled the blokes off the entrance gates.