Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

^^ Atom Retro is not a bad site, got one of my Baracuta harringtons from there on sale, service was very quick and price fair!

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012

2. circustavern777

circustavern777 Senior member

ok mate , i got a baracuta harrington from a shop in brighton in the lanes called badger , do some real nice bits , but the choice on that atom site was real good, i just had a suit made, in 3 ply mohair, midnight blue and black , and got a nice pair of loafers to go with it.

3. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Nice one Alan.:)

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012

4. Shep

Shep Active Member

Cheers for posting that,I thought it was long gone.

5. Shep

Shep Active Member

In regards to the Levis sta-prest,Mikkel Rude has told me that he is in the process of re-producing a version of them made to the same spec as the Empire Made 60`s ones.There will be a couple of minor changes such as a lower rise to fall in with how most of us wear our trousers these days,but most of the other details will be true to form.

6. Shep

Shep Active Member

7. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

Boooooo... no good for the fat lads. :happy:

8. Aces and Eights

Aces and Eights Senior member

Hi Ed – a few comments to add to your posting

Some of our lads got 6 to 2 (6 months to 2 years) borstal and were incarcerated at her majesty’s pleasure at Portland Dorset a notorious hard borstal with all the activities of Ray Winston’s old film ‘Scum’. I remember writing to one of my mates in there at the time and him describing it as ‘the last place on earth’ you wanted to be. On their release we were stunned at the size they had become through weight training, running and basic solid food.

We were often stopped when in a crowd and a certain copper always used the term ‘a kicking or a nicking’ – some of them were sadistic and bullies.

Work was never a problem. It was commonplace to ‘jack in’ your job on the Friday and get a start for Monday. Unlike the grime times of the present day where changing your job is such an ordeal

I remember several of us being in court and fined for fighting and given Fines of £10 and £20s and one of the lads asking for time to pay and having his fine doubled because the Magistrate did not like his attitude. You just took it as the norm and laughed about it in the pub – no point in getting uptight about it

A few of our lads joined the Army when the skinheads were going out of fashion say 1972. It did them good as they learnt a trade and settled into normal life when they returned to civvies after around 10 years service

9. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Some of the Chelsea Shed boys around 74/75 Joined The Army 44 Parachute Brigade TA, Some went over to Rhodesia and joined the Rhodesian Light Infantry, after 79 a few Lads moved down too South Africa and joined their Army.
    I think with a lot of lads me included loved being part of a gang and i suppose joining the Army was a natural thing to do, I remember in the 80s loads of second wave Skinheads joined up, I always knew the ex Skinheads 1 they liked to fight and 2 their kit was alway immaculate,:D

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012

10. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

To be honest,should have carried on through.Enjoyed the Training etc.:censored:

11. gringo

gringo New Member

Hello,everybody.This is a great thread and MoM is pretty much spot on with his memories.
    What people need to realise is that life was very different in the UK in the 60`s and early 70`s.Fashions pretty much started in London and then spread to other parts of the country.
    For example,I remember going to Huddersfield in august 1971 for the first away game of the footie season and Harrington jackets were all the rage up there.We`d all stopped wearing Harrington`s months before.
    The real stylish guys would make regular trips to London to stay ahead of the fashions in their own cities because of the time it took for fashions to filter up from the capital.There was no internet shopping in those days.
    Regarding the guys on the Skinhead Moonstomp cover I`d love to know the story behind it.Cord jackets were popularish for a few months in the East Midlands where I lived.They were a cheaper alternative to Levi or Wrangler denim.I think MoM is right about the guys on the cover being northerners.A girl I know insists that she met one of them once,thirty odd years back and says he was from Blackpool !Although why a London based record company would get hold of a photo of a bunch of lads from the north is a bit odd.As I said ,I`d love to know who those guys were.
    Skinhead fashion evolved constantly.One minute everybody was using ox blood polish on their DM`s.Then some of us started to dye our boots black.Boxing day 1970,Sheffield United ,away.I`d dyed my DM`s black the day before.Big mistake.Plenty of aggro in the Shoreham end all game and when I checked my boots out after the match I thought they were ruined.As it turned out after putting ox blood on again for a few days I ended up with a brilliant burnished bronze effect.I had the second best DM`s in the city !
    Anyway,what I`m trying to say is that skin fashion was a general look that changed constantly and pretty quickly and there were style variations in different parts of the country.I bought a beautiful pair of mohair,subtley checked, tonic trousers from a shop in London.But never saw anything remotely like them in my home city.
    Trying to be smart in those days took a lot more time,thought and effort but the rewards were worth it,I think.

12. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Hello Gringo,welcome to the Site.

13. dopeman

dopeman Active Member

I dont remember or know all their names now-but they were northern soul guys who went to the mecca (blackpool). I do remember the guy with the "tash" was called Tash which I thought amusing! He was a top dancer at the Mecca supposedly. All of them guys were top boys at the mecca I was told ( I was told this 25 years ago by the guy who ran Black Market records in soho,Rene-he was supposed to be in the pic but was taken out for "not looking hard enough" !! ) . I think he said that they were picked for it at the mecca one night-cant remember where it was shot either.
    MoM-I could ask him if he wants to say a bit in the book about this if you want?

14. circustavern777

i remember them being called attendence centres, ace, always on a saturday so you missed the football

15. circustavern777

your right about the jobs mate, my first job was in burtons the tailors in 1970, my weekly wage was £6 and i had to supply my own suit, it was a brownish gold mohair mix, i was there for one week i couldnt wait to get on the building sites, as you know thats were the dough was . I remember getting £15 per week as a labourer, twice as much as a salesman , and i loved being outside . i had bundles of jobs, in them days you could by the evening news turn to the building section, and be grafting up the city the next day . my cousin was a steel erector and he took me to work with him and his pal, we worked all over the country, i was just 16 but he booked me in on a mans wage i can remember sometimes bringing home £50/60 as we were on a price it was a fortune back then and we went to work in a big ford zepher,zodiac.