• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

circustavern777

Reaction score
MY OLD MAN WAS IN HOSPITAL AROUND DEC 69 I THINK WOULD HAVE JUST GOT TIGHTEN UP WAS PROBALY GOING OUT TO PLAY IT I REMEMBER THAT SHIRT WERNT BD BUT A SMART SHIRT THEM BRACES WERE IM SURE NARROWER THAN 1/2 INCH

BUNTY i just checked TIGHTEN UP VOL 2 WAS REALEASED IN OCT 1969 AS I SAID I WILL ALWAYS REMEMBER THE OLD MAN IN HOSPITAL AT CHRISTMAS I BROUGHT THE ALBUM AS SOON AS IT WAS OUT

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also the pics of your Cousin are dead on, The shoes being worn are correct for the time, For some reason people believe 60s Skinhead girls wore loathers which i did not see.
Its great to see photos not been seen before , nice one Alan.

circustavern777

Reaction score
Also the pics of your Cousin are dead on, The shoes being worn are correct for the time, For some reason people believe 60s Skinhead girls wore loathers which i did not see.
Its great to see photos not been seen before , nice one Alan.

i never saw girls in loafers i saw them in monkey boot,s and some with a square toe shoe , im sure the wore a patent shoe but i may be wrong

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i never saw girls in loafers  i saw them in monkey boot,s and some with a square toe shoe , im sure the wore a patent shoe but i may be wrong

Yep i remember patent shoes on girls , monkey boots was worn sometimes by the little skinhead girls in 70.
By 70 their was thousands of these little skinheads running around as young as11/13 they dressed different, more Boots Braces and Brutus. They was like little clones, All wearing Tartan check Brutus and Jaytex shirts, :D

Last edited:

circustavern777

Reaction score
Yep i remember patent shoes on girls , monkey boots was worn sometimes by the little skinhead girls in 70.
By 70 their was thousands of these little skinheads running around as young as11/13 they dressed different, more Boots Braces and Brutus. They was like little clones, All wearing Tartan check Brutus and Jaytex shirts,
biggrin.gif

thats right, i just remembered all the minute skins all double flash and offering us old ones out , then running like the wind when you growled at em were did they all come from another planet,, funny when you start to remember all the little bits mate,

Brideshead

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Great pics.

On girls shoes, a girlfriend of mine in early 1968 (who had very wealthy parents) had a pair with the bar very much like the ones pictured. Hers were bright red and came from Anello and Davide in Oxford Street. She was clever, amusing and always beautifully dressed and was perhaps the only girl I ever missed after splitting up. I have no pics to share unfortunately.

http://www.handmadeshoes.co.uk/one-bar-character-shoe.php

Last edited:

Brideshead

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Wonderful, mate. It reveals the 'truth' about the look at that time - it was understated and not in yer face as so many now believe. Great.

Just catching up on points raised:

Jewellery - no it did not figure beyond a watch and perhaps a ring.

Tattoos - not in my group.

LPs - I remember how cool it was at school to walk around with 'Otis Blue' or 'Hold on I'm Coming' or whatever was in that week under your arm!

The transition from Mod to Skinhead - yes, please let's have some more on this.

Brideshead

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

i never saw girls in loafers  i saw them in monkey boot,s and some with a square toe shoe , im sure the wore a patent shoe but i may be wrong

Patent shoes definitely and often with a little bow or tie on the vamp. Usually, a rounded toe but slightly squared off if that makes sense!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads