Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Little Queenie

Little Queenie Senior member

My dad was given an Omega watch, engraved with his initials on the back, for his 21st. That would have been December '65. He bought me and my sister a gold watch for our 21sts too. I think it was quite an old fashioned tradition; my Grandma must have had to save for ages to buy it for him! Omega still make nice watches. ID bracelets and signet rings are just very '60's I think.

2. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

From the Skinhead e-book on that site...
    [​IMG]
    Seems to have a lot of hair for a supposed "skinhead".

[​IMG]
    I remember having a shirt with a collar like that when I was about 7-8, around 1970-71ish. Probably can't get one like that now though, not around these parts.

BTW Fred Perry branded polo shirts are readily available here. Probably knock-off, reject or unauthorised excess production though.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012

3. Yankee

Yankee Well-Known Member

double

4. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Thanks mate,

5. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

yer in Frisco? that band Champions Inc are pretty good, nice to see a traditional style reggae/ska band. I also like Syndey Ducks, probably one of better oi bands in a while from west coast. The Inciters were in town over the weekend dowm here, but missed em since we went to Vegas to see Madness.

6. circustavern777

circustavern777 Senior member

ACES ive heard a lot about spirit of 69 great title, is all about the glasgow skin scene or does it go national also i remember on the front leg shields on the scooters you would have two goggle eyes stickers, very much a 60s thing i can also picture being in a paper and fag shop waiting to buy me sweets i was probaly about 8 /9 in front of me was a couple of rockers probaly buying there fags , i remember reading the back of there leather jackets , there name in brass studs, the name of there bike truimph, or norton , on the sleeve at the top was a 59 club badge black with gold writing , i think with a ring of studs . big studded belts , then i can see the mods wearing 3/4 black leather coats narrow trousers , and short hair compered to them rockers who had longish greased back hair, i can see them rockers now working on the waltzer, or the dive bomber at the wanstead flats fair .

7. Aces and Eights

Aces and Eights Senior member

Yes I remember very similar things with the Mods and Rockers that you mention when I was a little ‘un.

The Spirit of 69 book is worth looking at on the link posted by Yankee – I don’t know what it is like compared to the actual book that covers the general history of skinheads including photos and articles on clothes, music, jargon etc

8. Yankee

Yankee Well-Known Member

Inciters are cool, I love the Impalers as well, saw them new years with Derrick Harriot.
    Sydney Ducks are pretty good unfortunately missed them recently. Also like the Harrington Saints, they're guys from my town and make some great uplifting songs.
    How was madness, I'm seeing them in two days?

And did you come up for Sparrer, Business, etc?

9. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

I Lived in Stonebridge Park for about a year in 65/66, The Ace Cafe was just a walk away, we as kids would get in there on a Saturday for a plate of chips and a bottle of Coke, I was in aw of the Rockers, The sound of the bikes, They would race along the North Circular Rd to the Bridge at Neasden in the evenings.. quite a few was killed doing this.
    My Dad worked with a Rocker and he would come around our house, Our Road was full of Mods..be he did not care a fcuk..he would pull up on his bike while the Mods would look on, My Dad had a old Norton and gave it to him. The lad gave me a White silk scarf that Rockers wore ..years later as a skinhead i would wear it with me Crombie.
    Happy Days.

Just remembered the Tiger tails, [Esso Tiger in your tank was the caption,] The Mods would have em hanging on their long aerials. Also someone mentioned 66 World Cup Willie Lion.

10. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

I thought Madness was great. They played nearly all old classics, only 2 of the newer songs. So for me was best set they could have played. and House of Blues is not that big, so we were able to be up front 5 feet from them all night.

no, dont travel to see bands since I am a lazy homebody. Have seen Business many times over the years, just saw em in London last year, was nice to see them play to a hometown crowd. 'Sparrer is a great band of course, but with new tracks like "suicide girls" I cringe when I hear it.

11. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

There was a "59"Club in Bethnal Green,was it the same one?Remember "The Ace Of Spades"being blazoned across Rocker/Greaser Jackets & and a Mod Scooter Gang(mid 60s).

12. circustavern777

ok mate that was me about world cup willie , if i remember rightly it was everywhere i dont think the word LOGO was invented back then there were t shirts badges, the lot i was never into football but i remember sitting down watching the world cup in good old black and white was it 66 . i remember bobby moore holding the cup and did he get it presented by the queen .
    i found a photo i reckon i was 13, im wearing striped flares, and a paisley shirt, that must have been early 68 cos i was a skin in 69, i must have caught the tail end of what faishon im not sure

13. circustavern777

i think your bang on mate the 59 club was i think run by a vicar, out of the east end. what was that mod scooter gang called, my pal is 58 he came out of roman road and was part of a firm that rode all round that area

14. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Their was also a 59 club at Paddington Green.

15. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

In 66/67 Mods was becoming more and more Hippy, so the cloths we wore mirrored that, I remembered wearing hipsters trousers,:D