• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Inkss

Reaction score
Cheers PD.
I always try and find listings where people don't really know what they're selling, or the appeal the item would have to certain groups of people if they used the right keywords in their listing.
Another couple of recent purchases :
gant.jpg

Gant shirt (£8/$10.50)
puooch.jpg

Emilio Pucci tie (£18/$23)
Pretty pricey, but cheap for a Pucci necktie

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cheers PD.
I always try and find listings where people don't really know what they're selling, or the appeal the item would have to certain groups of people if they used the right keywords in their listing.
Another couple of recent purchases :
View attachment 1268764
Gant shirt (£8/$10.50)
View attachment 1268765
Emilio Pucci tie (£18/$23)
Pretty pricey, but cheap for a Pucci necktie
That tie is an outre little number - I like it ?

Reaction score
Some gratuitous shoe pics. I like trying to turn them into looking like candy apples

Solovair 6i Oxblood astronaut, my newest pair I just got a week or so ago

Dr Martens 1461 MIE 3i

Dr Martens 1490 MIE 10i

Solovair 11i Oxblood

Solovair Longwing brogue

Hi Get Smart, I’ve just invested in a pair of the Soloviar Burgandy Money Boots (part of the lifestyle collection) and a pair of DM MIE Oxblood Boots. I’m just wondering what polish etc you use and the technique that you use to get these looking as amazing as this? Your boots look incredible!!
Also, Oxblood Boots look like they come with similar colour laces. Should I get black instead? Cheers mate.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Hi Get Smart, I’ve just invested in a pair of the Soloviar Burgandy Money Boots (part of the lifestyle collection) and a pair of DM MIE Oxblood Boots. I’m just wondering what polish etc you use and the technique that you use to get these looking as amazing as this? Your boots look incredible!!
Also, Oxblood Boots look like they come with similar colour laces. Should I get black instead? Cheers mate.

thanks. I use Saphir pate de luxe burgundy and black. I’ll polish with one color a few times then switch to the other and back. I’ll also throw in some Saphir burgundy Creme which seems to add a deepness to the leather color moreso than the wax polish. Finally I’ll finish up with a few coats of Saphir burgundy mirror gloss polish. So I use a good mix of stuff. You get that mirror shine by basically polishing the polish. So to speak. So it takes a lot of good coats. And use water when starting to buff it out. And only mirror shine the toe area and back at heel quarters. Don’t do it in the areas that will crease (like top of the vamp) as it will crack and look ******.

lace color is purely subjective. I like black with Oxblood. Or white if it’s 8-10i boots.

Reaction score
thanks. I use Saphir pate de luxe burgundy and black. I’ll polish with one color a few times then switch to the other and back. I’ll also throw in some Saphir burgundy Creme which seems to add a deepness to the leather color moreso than the wax polish. Finally I’ll finish up with a few coats of Saphir burgundy mirror gloss polish. So I use a good mix of stuff. You get that mirror shine by basically polishing the polish. So to speak. So it takes a lot of good coats. And use water when starting to buff it out. And only mirror shine the toe area and back at heel quarters. Don’t do it in the areas that will crease (like top of the vamp) as it will crack and look ******.

lace color is purely subjective. I like black with Oxblood. Or white if it’s 8-10i boots.
That's great Get Smart. Thanks for the info. Will definitely invest in some of that Saphir polish and creme etc. When you mention using water when buffing it out, what exactly do you mean? Cheers

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
That's great Get Smart. Thanks for the info. Will definitely invest in some of that Saphir polish and creme etc. When you mention using water when buffing it out, what exactly do you mean? Cheers
It’s the concept behind a “spit shine”. You put polish on shoe. Let dry. Then when you go to buff it out you add some water to your rag and using a circular motion you massage the water into the dried polish. Then you buff it with a dry cloth or shoe brush. Repeat and repeat. The moisture in the water (or your spit if you so choose) brings out the luster in the polish.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Here are some Oxblood Dr Martens 1460 boot (made in England) that I wore yesterday. Boots from 2006. Haven’t worn in a while so I just polished them the night before using method above. (No filter)

Attachments

• 3924EC76-A774-4422-AAAB-049A9AD1365D.jpeg
    3924EC76-A774-4422-AAAB-049A9AD1365D.jpeg
    355.3 KB · Views: 123
Reaction score
Those look incredible mate. Really appreciate all the info and your time to go through this with me. I’m definitely going to write those instructions down and give it a go. Hopefully I won’t mess up the boots in the process. Wish me luck!! Cheers

The Saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those look incredible mate. Really appreciate all the info and your time to go through this with me. I’m definitely going to write those instructions down and give it a go. Hopefully I won’t mess up the boots in the process. Wish me luck!! Cheers
Personally, l find spit works better than water for some reason .
My father who had been in the services showed me how to do it , sometimes he used water and sometimes spit , personal choice but it is time consuming either way. .

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads