• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You ever see these kind of NCB donkey jackets Yorky? me granddad says they were worn before the orange shoulder ones were made. Sure i saw one being worn in a miners strike video too.

View attachment 1265466
Never seen one like that Donkey, when I started in '82 they were as you said orange, but for some reason l remember some of the older ones being yellow.

Natty Pinstripe

Reaction score
DJ1, Yorky and and anyone else that wants to chime in - I only have memories of Donkey Jackets in London always having the shiney shoulder panels first black and then day-glo. Was that not the case in other parts of the UK ?

DonkeyJacket1

Reaction score
Seen pictures of shiny PVC and leather ones being worn up north too, think it varied greatly considering the number of manufacturers, seen ones with white, blue(prison jacket), yellow, plain orange, pvc/leather shoulders extending to the upper arm(as seen in this miners strike 1972 pic below).

02.19.1972%20miners%20strike.jpg

Last edited:

Natty Pinstripe

Reaction score
Cheers DJ1, I guess my question is were there ones without any panels on the shoulders ( as per the NCB one on here) in other parts of the country, as I don't remember any in London ?

DonkeyJacket1

Reaction score
Certainly seen old ones without panels and tartan lining, my granddad had one without the panels when he was a blacksmith. People say they were more a managers jacket but not sure if that is just an urban legend, might of just been bought from a shop rather than provided by the company.

Natty Pinstripe

Reaction score
Thanks again DJ1, I suspect council labourers and road sweepers must have been provided with them in London in 60's and they were always about in the army surplus shops and market stalls. I assume most on her know of their popularity amongst the flat topped Rockabilly crowd that sprung up just after punk rock, out of places like the Royalty Ballroom in Southgate. Some of them used to paint the panels up with white paint !

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seen pictures of shiny PVC and leather ones being worn up north too, think it varied greatly considering the number of manufacturers, seen ones with white, blue(prison jacket), yellow, plain orange, pvc/leather shoulders extending to the upper arm(as seen in this miners strike 1972 pic below).

02.19.1972%20miners%20strike.jpg
About half way down, some blokes/lads who looked Sussed. I remember working with all the other types of "older men", not to be mest with but, looked after me as a 16 year old working in the pit.

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
About half way down, some blokes/lads who looked Sussed. I remember working with all the other types of "older men", not to be mest with but, looked after me as a 16 year old working in the pit.
Bloke in the middle looks like Manni out of the Stone Roses.
Other side of the Pennines though?

andyf

Reaction score
DJ1, Yorky and and anyone else that wants to chime in - I only have memories of Donkey Jackets in London always having the shiney shoulder panels first black and then day-glo. Was that not the case in other parts of the UK ?
My dad had one with black plastic for years. I acquired a black woolen borstal jacket from a mate whose dad was a screw. Similar to donkey jacket I seem to recall.

DonkeyJacket1

Reaction score

You don't seem to see blokes like this anymore, hard as nails but with a heart of gold, and lots of character.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I was at school my brother was at uni in Manchester and had a college mate who’s dad worked at a donkey jacket factory so got us three brothers sorted with discounted gear. I got one without any panels and a black watch tartan lining. Not sure but I think some had plastic panels inside so weren’t visible but still provided rain protection on the shoulders. Like anything else donkey jackets came in a range of quality but I’d say mine was very good. I wore it instead of or on top of my school blazer during the sixth form in the colder months, and was surprised to find my brother still had it in the cupboard when I was home several years ago so I wore it to the match!
NCB had a definite presence in County Durham when aa were a lad and like DJ says I recall seeing NCB branded donkey jackets of all variations over the years.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads