• We would like to welcome LuxGentleman as an official Affiliate Vendor. LuxGentleman offers Neapolitan sartorial brands such as Isaia, Kiton, Borrelli, Sartoria Partenopea, D'Avenza, and Attolini, and Italian luxury brands like Loro Piana, Zegna, Canali, Cucinelli and Brioni at great prices. Please visit their thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Yorky

Reaction score
Haha I fuckin hate monkey boots!
I’m baffled by their popularity.
Worn by girls and kids whose parents wouldn’t or couldn’t buy them Doc Martens round ours when I was a bairn.
Never see a grown man wearing them in the flesh!
How do you know that if you were so young you must have only been at the most 6 or 7 in 71?

andyf

Reaction score
....aaaaand again I have to say that certainly in SE London they were popular as a lightweight boot, and no bloke ever got stick for wearing them.
Yep and around my way. In fact my mate in the profile pic is sporting a pair. That was in 1982. And I wear mine for work. Very comfy particularly as I’m on my feet all day.

andyf

Reaction score
Worn by girls and kids whose parents wouldn’t or couldn’t buy them Doc Martens round ours when I was a bairn.
I never got the hate for them either. In fact as you can see in my profile pic from 82. My mate is sporting a pair.
I wear mine for work now. Very practical and comfy particularly as I’m on my feet all day.

The Saint

Reaction score
I do recall girls wearing them back in the day but not exclusively. I didn't like them then but that was all to change when l saw Mr Pete Townsend wearing a pair. .

As has been mentioned on here they are very light and comfortable. My current pair were bought for me by my wife, l shall have to ask her if she were unable to afford a pair of Docs for me . .

I reckon they are as comfortable as a good pair of trainers but not as ubiquitous on the streets. .

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do you know that if you were so young you must have only been at the most 6 or 7 in 71?
Are all comments restricted to that time frame like?
Sorry I misunderstood.
But my OPINION still stands.
If people like them rock on, I’m sure I wear clobber other people don’t like. Horses for courses.
This place would be a bit quiet if opinions weren’t expressed.

Natty Pinstripe

Reaction score
In what is now referred to as the original days, monkey boots were perceived as the more "stylish" cheaper option and a lot of kids folks would not splash out on DM's in East London. I always got to keep what ever cash I could make " on the side" from school and so could save up, but there were kids who had to put some of that in their family kitty. I have no memory of girls wearing them until Punk Rock happened.

Last edited:

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It occurs to me that many of the blokes I saw in MBs had their Levis a tiny bit longer, often without turnups.

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Monkey boots were always coveted around here
not to be a dick, but... no they weren’t. In the ‘80s the closest thing was NaNa boots. Cherry Red 10-eye Docs were the thing to wear. Alas, I had black ones.

Ivyskin89

Reaction score
not to be a dick, but... no they weren’t. In the ‘80s the closest thing was NaNa boots. Cherry Red 10-eye Docs were the thing to wear. Alas, I had black ones.
All the skins that I hung with including Bobby From Boston really liked and wanted the monkey boots. So I guess times change. Remember I was in the scene 20 years after the 80s

Bela Kun

Reaction score
Monkey boots are awesome. They look better and are probably sturdier than modern Docs too. I wish there was a slightly more upmarket version of the dark burgundy/brown Grafters monkey boot with the same narrow last and the same ‘tractor’ soles, but made of supple, better quality leather.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

WHAT'S THE MAX NUMBER OF SHIRT BUTTONS YOU'LL UNDO BEFORE FEELING OUT OF PLACE?

• Just the collar button is enough for me.

• Two, including the collar button.

• Three, including the collar button.

• None.

Results are only viewable after voting.