• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Inks

Reaction score
Lonsdale's anti-racist stance/campaign was admirable. But the brand was purchased by Sports Direct, so now I associate it with Mike Ashley.

Fruitbat

Reaction score
I remember going in the Lonsdale shop in Soho and seeing a large black geezer sitting in the corner on a tiny little 3 legged ' milking stool'. A boxer mate of mine pointed out it was Frank Bruno, who was still an amateur.
I was reading some Scousers account of the early casual scene, and he made a thing out of Liverpool fans wearing Lonsdale T- Shirts in 1980; big deal- every man jack had one in London at that time and thought nothing of it.
The same lettering style was used for football variations, West Ham- London, Chelsea- London etc etc. They were absolutely everywhere 80, 81
Edit- it most likely was a corner boxing stool Bruno was sitting on, but being a lump it looked like a milking stool

Last edited:

Inks

Reaction score
I remember the football club name in a Lonsdale-style font on tees and sweatshirts in 80/81. I bought a claret coloured West Ham one from the market. It went pink after one wash. It faded, and dyed everything else in the wash. Just like my dreams.

Jimmy Balantyne

Reaction score
I remember going in the Lonsdale shop in Soho and seeing a large black geezer sitting in the corner on a tiny little 3 legged ' milking stool'. A boxer mate of mine pointed out it was Frank Bruno, who was still an amateur.
I was reading some Scousers account of the early casual scene, and he made a thing out of Liverpool fans wearing Lonsdale T- Shirts in 1980; big deal- every man jack had one in London at that time and thought nothing of it.
The same lettering style was used for football variations, West Ham- London, Chelsea- London etc etc. They were absolutely everywhere 80, 81
West Ham loved a Lonsdale shirt.

Last edited:

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Back in 1969 we always wore our braces over Fred Perrys but never over a jumper or sleeveless jumpers

I can actually remember lots of us wearing FPs without braces. It depended on having a pair of Levis or other strides that held up well without. Here's a bad reproduction of a pic from Radio Times, Dec 1969. The blokes 2nd and 3rd from the left are wearing tennis shirts without braces.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That reminds me of the time I bumped into Joe Bugner. I bounced off him. :D

Sean Carlson

Reaction score
Was a thing done by the younger skins i think, plenty of pics showing that practice, tho this is 1970/71 i think.

I don't wear fred perrys anymore but i never wore them with braces when i did, looks better with a belt imo.

There's a couple of young skins in the Man Alive documentary with braces over their jumpers.

Donkey Jacket

Reaction score
kinda well talked about already but the coventry skins are wearing there braces over there tank tops too, the lad in the pic above might be a northerner judging from the tache.

Ivyskin89

Reaction score
Some new samples from NPS.
Thoughts and suggestions much appreciated. I asked them to do black stitching on the black boots. Hopefully when I do the large order they get it right. I chose the ranger sole over the street sole because people here in Boston seem to respond better to it. Though I'll probably do some of both in the future.
The brown boots can currently be ordered with non steel toe if anyone's interested, though the picture I have here is of the steel toe sample I believe. The black ones are non steel toe.

Donkey Jacket

Reaction score
Not bad, could always have the commando soles replaced with a normal dm sole at a cobblers, i was thinking about getting some of the brown ones but money has been tight.

Ivyskin89

Reaction score

Great pic, the guy on the right esp. seems to be in a 'transitional' stage.  Also highlights the more relaxed fit then, now there is so much of this 'slim fit' nonsense.

I think the proper term for today's cut is "skinny fit."

I explain to many of the customers we get in the shop that slim fit means something a lot different today than it did in the 60s. I also have to often explain why the vintage jackets, vests and sweaters are so cropped due to the fact that the rise on trousers was higher back then. Unless you were shopping on Carnaby Street I guess.

Last edited:

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I chose the ranger sole over the street sole because people here in Boston seem to respond better to it. Though I'll probably do some of both in the future.
The brown boots can currently be ordered with non steel toe if anyone's interested, though the picture I have here is of the steel toe sample I believe. The black ones are non steel toe.

Nice job, Nik. Pretty cool you had these done.
I assume your target audience is the general public, because very few people I know(skinheads and ex-skinheads) would prefer the ranger sole over the more low-profile "DM" one these days.
How does the material these are made of respond to body heat, sweat, and all that? Is it breathable, comfortable?

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rizwan132