• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My that's brought back a memory I had forgotten all about. I had a black badge about 3/4 inch diameter with a white skull and the letters 'THINK' in gold. I recall putting it in after a short while after purchase and it stayed until the coat disintegrated and was thrown out.

The coats fleece seemed to 'grow' around and over the badge - spooky!!
Yes that was the great thing about the badge on the sheepskin,the badge kind of sunk back into the pile...what did your badge mean?

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Clouseau.Good work with the Renoma pictures,I find it interesting about the Minets,something that I never knew about before I looked on this thread.
Do you know what blazer badges they used ? what was the influence ? I would like to have the old Cerneabbas giant made into a blazer badge but its not such a good idea these days.

Last edited:

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Clouseau.Good work with the Renoma pictures,I find it interesting about the Minets,something that I never knew about before I looked on this thread.
Do you know what blazer badges they used ? what was the influence ? I would like to have the old Cerneabbas giant made into a blazer badge but its not such a good idea these days.
The funny thing is that the tradition of blazer badges didn't exist in France. So "Minets" chose them in the "White house Renoma" shop in a basket, according to their taste.
What's interesting is the fact that in the beginning the Renoma brothers (at the time Maurice worked with his brother Michel) were very influenced by the Ivy League, known in France under the name of "Kennedy look". (see the title of the Herald's press-cut)

Last edited:

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The funny thing is that the tradition of blazer badges didn't exist in France. So "Minets" chose them in the "White house Renoma" shop in a basket, according to their taste.
What's interesting is the fact that in the beginning the Renoma brothers (at the time Maurice worked with his brother Michel) were very influenced by the Ivy League, known in France under the name of "Kennedy look". (see the title of the Herald's press-cut)
So were the badges of the American universities ?

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
This i don't know. I've got to meet an original from the "Drug" and ask him ! Not an easy task i guess. In the beginning of the "White house" most clients were members from the Drugstore gang.

Last edited:

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This i don't know. I've got to meet an original from the "Drug" and ask him ! Not an easy task i guess. In the beginning of the "White house" most clients were members from the Drugstore gang.
Maybe easier to compare the badges on the blazers with the American universities badges ?
BTW on a different subject,what is the price of Paraboot Michael in Paris ? there is a big variation in price here.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I just made a rough search, maybe it's possible to find cheaper.
About "Alan partridge", i like Steve Coogan. Recently saw him in "The look of love"

Con Seanery

Reaction score
Hi Everybody! Wow man, up to 1065 pages... Even though I haven't posted to this since pg.584, I've kept up my weekly reading. Nice to see all the contributors still going strong!

Anyhoo, while reading the recent deals people have picked up, I wanted to throw this one into the mix:

Last weekend I was in an outlet store looking to see if they had some of the dress socks sold at retail, -& they didn't. So on my way out, I strolled through the shoes to scope out my size (11). Cutting through the size 10.5 "dress shoes" & ready to exit that row to find the 11's, I see a closed Florsheim box with the front sticker stating "Color: Cordovan". I grabbed the box out & opened it up, & to my surprise, I'm looking at a pair of longwing brogues (New & still unlaced) in my size & placed in the wrong section (or hidden there)! I tried them on, & they fit perfect, -so I held onto the box...

Noting that they were Florsheim for Duckie Brown, I broke my phone out for a bit of research to see exactly wtf I was holding. Turns out the serial #'s on the inside (19007-605) confirmed color as "Dark Cherry" & the "Genuine Horween Cordovan" stamp on each sole confirmed they were Shell Cordo & not the calf skin run of this shoe. -I then bought them for $100.

Note: A year or so ago, these things retailed for $650 (overpriced for being in the Alden price range etc.). Obviously the make doesn't have the creds of Alden or similar, -but they are shell, & they have been in the box long enough to have not lightened in color. Color is not as dark as Alden cordo #8's, -its almost like a lighter black cherry color. Only thing I don't like is the out-sole (sidewall) and the welt is brown, -& not a cool natural brown or stained leather type brown, -looks like lighter shade of brown dressing to me. So now I'm going to strip the brown & re-coat the visible out-sole & welt black (comparable to an AE MacNeil). So with that done, probably about $112 spent on these things. Shoe is a basic gunboat, -compared to my AE MacNeil's the welt is thicker so these stand about 2mm higher from the floor, heel is about half inch shorter at the heel breast, & the toe is a tad rounder then my AE's (almost between AE & Alden). All-in-all a bit chunkier then my AE's.

Sorry for the long winded story, -but hey, I haven't dumped anything to this for around 500 pages & I felt I almost had to tell the story because 2 days prior I was looking at vintage cordo Florsheim on the net & my wife walked in, looked at my laptop, rolled her eyes & said something like "dude you have those already" (I didn't even acknowledge her presence at that point).

So at this point, on those casual days when I'm wearing jeans & a BD, I can now kick around in some cordo's without subconsciously tripping out on my shoe health... Not the best pics, but you know how that is...

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Everybody! Wow man, up to 1065 pages... Even though I haven't posted to this since pg.584, I've kept up my weekly reading. Nice to see all the contributors still going strong!

Anyhoo, while reading the recent deals people have picked up, I wanted to throw this one into the mix:

Last weekend I was in an outlet store looking to see if they had some of the dress socks sold at retail, -& they didn't. So on my way out, I strolled through the shoes to scope out my size (11). Cutting through the size 10.5 "dress shoes" & ready to exit that row to find the 11's, I see a closed Florsheim box with the front sticker stating "Color: Cordovan". I grabbed the box out & opened it up, & to my surprise, I'm looking at a pair of longwing brogues (New & still unlaced) in my size & placed in the wrong section (or hidden there)! I tried them on, & they fit perfect, -so I held onto the box...

Noting that they were Florsheim for Duckie Brown, I broke my phone out for a bit of research to see exactly wtf I was holding. Turns out the serial #'s on the inside (19007-605) confirmed color as "Dark Cherry" & the "Genuine Horween Cordovan" stamp on each sole confirmed they were Shell Cordo & not the calf skin run of this shoe. -I then bought them for $100.

Note: A year or so ago, these things retailed for $650 (overpriced for being in the Alden price range etc.). Obviously the make doesn't have the creds of Alden or similar, -but they are shell, & they have been in the box long enough to have not lightened in color. Color is not as dark as Alden cordo #8's, -its almost like a lighter black cherry color. Only thing I don't like is the out-sole (sidewall) and the welt is brown, -& not a cool natural brown or stained leather type brown, -looks like lighter shade of brown dressing to me. So now I'm going to strip the brown & re-coat the visible out-sole & welt black (comparable to an AE MacNeil). So with that done, probably about $112 spent on these things. Shoe is a basic gunboat, -compared to my AE MacNeil's the welt is thicker so these stand about 2mm higher from the floor, heel is about half inch shorter at the heel breast, & the toe is a tad rounder then my AE's (almost between AE & Alden). All-in-all a bit chunkier then my AE's.

Sorry for the long winded story, -but hey, I haven't dumped anything to this for around 500 pages & I felt I almost had to tell the story because 2 days prior I was looking at vintage cordo Florsheim on the net & my wife walked in, looked at my laptop, rolled her eyes & said something like "dude you have those already" (I didn't even acknowledge her presence at that point).

So at this point, on those casual days when I'm wearing jeans & a BD, I can now kick around in some cordo's without subconsciously tripping out on my shoe health... Not the best pics, but you know how that is...

Welcome back,very nice shoes and although I am envious its good to see someone get a result.

Con Seanery

Reaction score

Welcome back,very nice shoes and although I am envious its good to see someone get a result.

Thanks Cerneabbas, yeah I'm pretty happy about it :)

Quick heads-up: Brooks Brothers started the Veterans Day Sale today through Monday. Web has 75% off on a bunch of select stuff. In-Store has 25% off everything. Im picking up 4 more pairs of their sta-prest Saturday (Milano Advantage Chinos).

That is all, Ill be back in about 500 pages ;)

Last edited:

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have no idea - but it must have had some relevance back then
I searched for think skull badge and found that they are still sold by Hawkshaw motorcycles ( for £5 ),I wonder if its a motorbike safety thing,like think once think twice think bike,the safety advert.
I said mainly enamel football badges but there were motorbike and scooter badges and I remember one lad used to wear an enamel shamrock badge.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads