1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

If you look at Rod Stewart`s Hairstyle(about the same time)it shows a more flashier side to the Mod Cut.Good Picture Cover and Song,though it got buried somewhat with what was being released at the time.

2. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

I cannot remember seeing Boating Jackets being worn with Ties originally,Fred Perrys yes.Videos were not really around in the early 60s or to the extent of being advertised in Soho.Short Audio Films were made to promote Records that I do know.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  3. Inks

Inks Senior member

I wore my boating blazer with a FP, white jeans and desert-boots. Looks weird with a shirt and tie.
    Those black and white 'Jam' shoes were never to my taste. A bit too long and pointy, and a bit too Ted looking for my liking. Chisel-toe chelsea-boots with a non-cuban heel were about as pointy as I got.
    I've seen some less long and pointy two-tone gibsons that were less Rumplestiltskin-y than the ones Weller & Co used to wear. They looked better, but not better enough for me to ever wear.

1 person likes this.
  4. Soul Vision

Soul Vision Senior member

Yes, the tie esp, makes me think I still can't quite work out if that is original 60's footage or something shot later and made to look 'old'. I'm not a fan of smoking but they do look kinda cool smoking there. I guess that was part of mod style (French cigarettes?) but perhaps by the skinhead era it was no longer so popular (?) Right now I can't recall too many 'original' shots from this forum of skinheads smoking...Paul 'You can bury me a Mod' Weller is smoking like a chimney in one of his latest clips...

5. skinny legs

skinny legs Senior member

[​IMG]

6. skinny legs

skinny legs Senior member

Crombie Boating Blazer. One of my favourite items

7. Soul Vision

As we were talking about 60's clubs before I think this (along with Geogie Fame's 'Live at the Flamingo') might be as close as I am every going to get to feeling the atmosphere of those sweaty mod clubs. Gee, I cannot believe his band could keep up with this frantic pace and still sound together - love all the crowd chanting...

Geno Washington & The Ram Jam - Foot Stompin' Soul (LIVE)

Great article here that includes a lot of info on the clubs they played:

http://thestrangebrew.co.uk/articles/geno-washington-the-ram-jam-band

And a few pix:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  8. Soul Vision

9. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

I believe the second Pic of Geno was taken at the Carousel Club(Big `C`),Farnborough around 1966.The Club attracted Mods from all over,it was only small but what an atmosphere.:)

10. Soul Vision

Looks like it! Funny those bars there on the right - is that for the VIPs?

11. Soul Vision

12. Soul Vision

The guy in the front in the white is sporting quite a strange looking four button jacket that even has buttons (or are they press studs?) in the top and side pockets - I'm assuming this was not a popular style!

[​IMG]

Carl Douglas & The Big Stampede 1967, courtesy of Ken Baxter

http://www.garagehangover.com/burtons-uxbridge-middlesex/

13. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

The lad on the left sports most probably a Levi's suede trucker jacket (with press studs), to match his Desert boots.
    The guy in white 'strange looking' jacket (with buttons) is a 'Saharian' jacket i think.

14. Sirryacus

Sirryacus Senior member

My shoes ran me about 1 U.S. Dollar, the 2 Burberry custom suits at 5 U.S. Dollars a piece from the same church rummage.

1 person likes this.
  15. Sirryacus

Sirryacus Senior member

I believe what we call a Safari Jacket here in the states is basically the same thing, you'll notice this one lack's the belt and adds a pocket to one of the arms.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Burtons used to have Dancehalls upstairs,if my Memory serves me correct.

17. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

It was the Décor.Near there was an indoor Bowling Alley.

18. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

The Levi Suede Jacket was very stiff so I do not think you could roll the Sleeve back.Maybe a Cord one.I had a version of the "Safari Jacket".

I know,on the Site,that it states 1967 but the Clothing worn came earlier.The Shoes,the Patterned Shirt,the Boating Jacket etc.,I would have put in 1965 ish. :)

1 person likes this.
  19. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

True it's a bit thin for a Levi's suede, but i blew the picture up and it doesn't really look like a cord jacket either...

I don't want to engage into a semantic discussion, but there are difference between Safari jackets (for Safari) and Saharian jackets (for Sahara/desert), even if they are close indeed.
    The Saharian jacket was in the beginning a light army jacket with 4 pockets, first wore by the Brits in India, then by the Desert Rats and the Afrika Korps in WW2. So it's a light field jacket, you could say the Saharian jacket is at the field jacket what the L2 is at the MA-1...
    La saharienne, as we call it here, was a very popular jacket in the 70s. YSL developed it in a range of style and colors and was the first to make one for the ladies. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  20. Sirryacus

Sirryacus Senior member