1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. catchourbreath

catchourbreath Well-Known Member

I forgot all about the change in style of the Levis. That probably explains a lot. I guess I'm not gonna dump the thousands into finding the perfect pair without just altering less expensive stuff.

2. Aces and Eights

Aces and Eights Senior member

Totally agree with all the content of your comments. When I got my sheepskin I wore that in the Summer as well - purely to show off that I had one !!

1 person likes this.
  3. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

That's true. I bought my first pair of brown 'Gibsons' in Blackpool. That was, as I understood it, simply the name given to any lace-up shoe with an apron at the front, split-toe or not. I wore them in 1968 when I went down to London, along with my ordinary, black, non-American brogues, and there wasn't anything unusual in either of those shoes back then. Lots of kids and young men wore the same sort of shoe.

In late 1968 there was that brief vogue for jodhpur boots in S E London - I knew them as jodhpur boots or riding boots, but I wasn't aware that there was any 'street' name or trade name for them. They just appeared in stock at the local surplus shop. When the style got up North, word has it they were called 'Riders'.

In SE London in 1969, no one wore 'Gibsons' any more. Basically there were two main shoes - the American brogue from the Squire shop [if we called them anything, we called them 'Squires brogues' or just "Squires'], and the American plain cap shoe also from the Squire shop [which we called 'Royals']. But that's just what we called them, for what it's worth.

1 person likes this.
  4. Man-of-Mystery

Lots of people did that! :D

5. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

"Gibsons" were so named because that is what it had printed on the original Box Label(don`t forget I bought mine from Timpsons - not Simons).They were the least popular of the Royals and they were the last Style,around `69 ish..Thanks to Basset for putting up the Photo of the Gibsons.Timpsons had upped their Game with the Royals,before then they were on par with FHW,Trueform in the High Street.Churchs etc.,were always quality Shoes but very much MOR,they started getting more fashionable later.

I started wearing my Tie loose when it was the White Shirt under the Sleeveless Pullover(around late `67/early `68).As it was mostly worn with Levis it was semi casual.Before then,I wore my Ties done up - in fact you could not get into Clubs or Dancehalls because the Doormen would tell you to "straighten up your Tie".Most of them were exServicemen........:)

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  6. The Saint

The Saint Senior member

This might be of interest to MoM. .

[​IMG]

7. The Saint

The Saint Senior member

Back in the 6ts I believe Levis were 14oz . They felt like cardboard when you first put them on and took a bit of work to get right , they also had a great smell when you first got them . Modern jeans are rubbish in comparison. .

8. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Senior member

The smell of my first pr of Levi's still haunts me to this day.My guess is that it probably had something to do with the indigo dye they used back then.Pure speculation,but it was probably something that was deemed environmentally damaging and replaced with something less polluting.I don't recall seeing Gibsons or Smooths in my neck of the woods.I think they slipped past the Midlands.Unlike today,access to everything was a pipe dream,and sometimes by the time things did become available locally,it was too late.

9. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

The smell and the amount of Blue Dye that used to come out.My Mum would moan about the Bath,even though I cleaned it(not good enough).Afterwards it was a new pair taken every time went to the I.O.W. :)

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
  10. The Saint

The Saint Senior member

Despite the masses of blue dye that seemed to come out of them ,to me , it always seemed that , it took an age for them to fade. .[​IMG]

11. yankmod

yankmod Senior member

Levi's 511 Rigid Dragon.Raw denim 11.2 ounces.99% cotton 1& spandex.

12. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Yes they did,but once they started.......Sea Salt worked wonders.:)

13. Bob the Badger

Bob the Badger Senior member

I can still smell those first pair of brand new Levi's! The orange tab ones I bought next were somehow not the same. My brother and me both sat in a cold water bath to shrink our red tabs. Mum went spare when she saw the colour of the water in the bath. I always liked a deep indigo colour for my jeans. For my mob Wranglers didn't quite cut it because they were cheaper and not so rigid.

14. Sirryacus

Sirryacus Senior member

Forgive my ignorance to your terms but Church's were more high end am I correct? as in most youths could not afford them at the time?

15. Man-of-Mystery

Me too.

16. Man-of-Mystery

Blackpool kids used to wade waist-deep into the briny! :)

17. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

They were considered a Shoe for the more Affluent,not found in all High Streets.

1 person likes this.
  18. Sirryacus

Sirryacus Senior member

I figured as much they do seem to have that reputation in the states as well or atleast they did.

19. flyfronted

flyfronted Senior member

still cost around £400 for a pair of Church Longwings - no idea what that would translate to 1969 but id guess at least 4 times what Timpson's ' royals ' where . Also 15 year old boys would want what the others had and not be arsed about trading up ..

20. flyfronted

flyfronted Senior member

the debate on how to wear your unwashed / raw denim rages to this day http://www.rawrdenim.com/2011/09/the-essential-raw-denim-breakdown-our-100th-article/
    You do and im sure kids did have to soak them to get rid of the startch otherwise they rot easily and you get the dreaded cruch blow out within a year .
    Im a big fan of raw denim especially the japanese jeans that copy the Levis of the 50s and 60s such as Full Count / Samurai and Studio D' ARTISAN .