• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Basset

Reaction score
I love my leather flying jacket and my shades, and I'm not going to stop wearing it just because of some racist nutters in Paris. I have my own politics, they have theirs, and we're poles apart. But one of the main reasons I like this thread is that we have managed to reclaim the way we look(ed) from the politics. Sure, we needed to talk about how society was in the time the look evolved, but that was that. I would no more give up my A1 jacket than I would give up my MA2 jacket just because someone associates it with politics; I had that once at a West Indian carnival in Liverpool (early 1980s) when I was queueing for food, and some (white) bloke came up to me demanding to know what I was doing there in short hair and a skinhead jacket. I gave him short shrift, I can tell you! What made me laugh at the time was that none of the ****** and other black people there could have given a James Clark Ross what I was wearing!

I do wear my A1 during the winter, but I also have a tailored overcoat that looks a little like a Crombie, but clearly isn't, and a shorter wool coat that looks a bit like a donkey jacket but clearly isn't. If you see what I mean (I've had it for years - I got it from the Hawkshead catalogue). The weather here in Perth has just turned a little colder, so I have put my Levi jackets away. I might get a chance to wear my Harrington a few times before winter, but basically it's time for more serious coats now.

Well said, the bloke in Perth

Inks

Reaction score

I liked the relative simplicity of this when I bought it. Thing is, when I wear it, I look like a plain-clothes German copper from the 1970s. I think the tobacco colour is a bit too Bodie for me, and I'm not allowed to do anymore leather dying in my gaff. Not after last time.
Melka is a pretty decent brand. Swedish company. A lot of iffy gear, but they do some nice button-down shirts. Being Scandinavian, some of their deadstock/vintage coats are good winter-wear.
I purchased a Melka 'Harry Palmer-esque' mac a few years ago from a company called Savvy Row. It makes me look more like Harold Wilson than Harry Palmer though.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I liked the relative simplicity of this when I bought it. Thing is, when I wear it, I look like a plain-clothes German copper from the 1970s. I think the tobacco colour is a bit too Bodie for me, and I'm not allowed to do anymore leather dying in my gaff. Not after last time.
Melka is a pretty decent brand. Swedish company. A lot of iffy gear, but they do some nice button-down shirts. Being Scandinavian, some of their deadstock/vintage coats are good winter-wear.
I purchased a Melka 'Harry Palmer-esque' mac a few years ago from a company called Savvy Row. It makes me look more like Harold Wilson than Harry Palmer though.
That's the length I am talking about,it seems popular in leather and suede but not in showerproof material.
I have relatives in Sweden and as you say they have to make good winter clothes ( good for outdoors stuff too ).
I see your point though,sometimes clothes that you like just don't suit,horses for courses ( as the Barbour brigade will tell you ).
I was thinking about the Guards officer in civvies look that you mentioned,they will include Barbours and check/tweed caps on occasion...its not a look that I am keen on.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

MoM, nobody asks you to give up your A-2 or MA-1 ! In the streets of Perth you will probably meet more people in kilt (girls and boys i guess :) , bonnie Scotland ) than "racist nutters".

We have our fair share of nutters. Usually they're anglophobes, which means they hate the English. I don't give a stuff, though. I stick up for England when I'm up here, and for Scotland when I'm down there! I always was bloody awkward. :D

ek77

Reaction score

Monkey boots are for birds 

yes, i totally agree... if i wanna see someone wearing monkey boots, it must be a girl.. :)

Woolwich, London. 1978.

Sirryacus

Reaction score
We have our fair share of nutters. Usually they're anglophobes, which means they hate the English. I don't give a stuff, though. I stick up for England when I'm up here, and for Scotland when I'm down there! I always was bloody awkward.
biggrin.gif
Hate crown not the average joe that's what I always say.

ek77

Reaction score
dont think that this one was posted on here before...

beside that one with two of the guys holding it:

but we all know these ones:

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am not keen on the Barbours they look like fox hunt followers coats but are usually seen on estate agents in the city,the quilted ones look like you should be going to a gymkhana,i don't feel ready for a car coat and I hope that I never do feel ready.
As usual it seems like anything stylish isn't very practical,a winter jacket that you cant wear in the rain isn't great for Englands climate but I don't want a "military" looking job that makes it look like I am off too Afghanistan,or one of the padded ones that look like the Michelin man....

I thought wax jackets were a 1980 thing, like green wellies. As for military coats, a British warm like Captain Peacock(an officer and a gentleman) had would keep you warm and dry - but you will not see one on sale these days. Those quilted things look like the material on a grannies dressing gown just blue instead of pink.

You will not find a proper overcoat or raincoat in the UK these days. People would rather chance it and get wet or cold.

Yet in Lisbon last week plenty of locals had proper full length raincoats.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought wax jackets were a 1980 thing, like green wellies. As for military coats, a British warm like Captain Peacock(an officer and a gentleman) had would keep you warm and dry - but you will not see one on sale these days. Those quilted things look like the material on a grannies dressing gown just blue instead of pink.

You will not find a proper overcoat or raincoat in the UK these days. People would rather chance it and get wet or cold.

Yet in Lisbon last week plenty of locals had proper full length raincoats.
Yes I remember Barbours becoming "fashionable" about then,but I had seen plenty worn earlier in the 70s for practical purposes by the local rabbiting blokes with their terriers and lurchers,you Londoners think that rabbiting means talking a lot,down here in the wild west country things is different ooh arr.
I know that you don't rate M and S these days but have a look at the Prince of Wales check overcoat on their website,the pictures look good,I will have a nose when I go out there next,I wont be buying it at £600 though.

Ed Vaughan

Reaction score

Yes I remember Barbours becoming "fashionable" about then,but I had seen plenty worn earlier in the 70s for practical purposes by the local rabbiting blokes with their terriers and lurchers,you Londoners think that rabbiting means talking a lot,down here in the wild west country things is different ooh arr.
I know that you don't rate M and S these days but have a look at the Prince of Wales check overcoat on their website,the pictures look good,I will have a nose when I go out there next,I wont be buying it at £600 though.
I have a Barbour Bedale - shorter length than the traditional length Beaufort - just right for in and out of the motor.

I also have, though a tad snug, a Burberry waxed jacket, c1981-2, that has stood the test of time and, I'm in the process, next week, of looking at another Barbour I can wear over a suit.

You pays your money...

I also have a couple of covert coats - a Tyrwhitt and a TM Lewin - but I see so many bad ones where people wear the shape out of the material by not hanging them up properly or wearing the cloth to death... let 'em breathe!!! :)

Loads of casual stuff but nothing of any great historic significance.

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A lot for an M&S coat. Wait until January and they will be on sale. I prefer a blue overcheck on POW and think of it more for suits and jackets.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A lot for an M&S coat. Wait until January and they will be on sale. I prefer a blue overcheck on POW and think of it more for suits and jackets.
I also prefer the blue overcheck, since seeing that coat though I was thinking were some of the trousers in the early 70s without any overcheck ?...I think that there will be plenty of those coats in the sales,I cant see many M and S customers forking out £600 for a coat however good it is.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads