• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

Peacoat

Reaction score
I should have also said that Jerri in customer service at Schott is the one to contact for sizing info. Send her your measurements, as well as the peacoat you are interested in buying, and she can tell you her best guess as to the right size for you.

Also, there are a bunch of stores on lower Manhattan that carry Schott. Even closer to home there are 4 or 5 in Brooklyn and your end of Long Island that carry the brand.

Last edited:

Infinite

Reaction score
I need some advice/assistance in making my decision for a peacoat this F/W.

My chest size is about 35inches, 5'7 and currently around 130lbs. I work out and plan on bulking up to about 140-145 during the winter. A final weight of 140 is my goal.

I am looking for a peacoat that is slim-fitting, but still able to layer a bit. Typically my layering would just consist of an undershirt, OCBD, and a wool v-neck sweater. I was looking at Sterlingwear's Authentic 34R in grey. Although, I may be interested in purchasing a vintage peacoat instead, if I can find one in good condition for a good price. Do you believe 34R in Sterlingwear would be a wise choice? Also, would you also recommend a 34R in a vintage coat? From what it sounds like, vintage coats tend to be slimmer, so would 36R be a better option?

Your feedback is very much appreciated!

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm about the same size 140, 5'7" and size 36 in any peacoat is always too big for me. They tend to look long and a touch big on the shoulders. You should be fine with a 34, as long as you mean OCBD and light wool sweater. I can do a heavy knit under my 34 peacoat, but I don't feel 100% comfortable.

Peacoat

Reaction score
Sir Grotius is correct about the sizing; a 36 peacoat is too big for someone with a 35" chest.

Don't know that lifting weights is going to cause you to gain weight. It always had the opposite effect on me. I got stronger and more muscular, but I would lose weight.

The Authentics are about the same chest size as the current issue Sterlingwears, which means they fit a bit trimmer than the standard civilian pea coats. Some of the civilian models fit like a tent. This is OK if one is overweight, but for the rest of us, it doesn't work too well. The earlier the vintage issue peacoat, generally the slimmer the fit. This is especially true with the WWII models. The difference isn't that noticeable in the 50s through the 70s. The last year for the vintage Kersey shell was 1979.

A size 34 ought to give you enough room to layer a shirt and a sweater underneath. Make sure you get the pit to pit measurement from the seller if buying vintage. I have three size 34 vintage pea coats, and they all measure 19" p2p. I have seen some that measure a little over 18," which is what I would expect for a size 34, but there is quite a bit of variance with the smaller sizes.

If buying online, through ebay or VT, ask the seller to hold the coat at an angle to a strong light source, such as a daytime window*, and look for flaws. This method will show all imperfections, even if not otherwise visible. Also, get an accurate p2p as this is the basis for a good fit.

Something else to look out for is a sleeve that has been shortened. On a 34, the sleeve length ought to be right at 25" from the seam where the sleeve joins the shoulder down to the end of the cuff.

______
*This method doesn't work at night, but I wouldn't put it past some ebay sellers to give it a go!

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's really interesting about peacoat fit over time. It says a lot about our changing bodies!

AriGold

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have their thoughts on it, quality and sizing? full retail is way too steep imo, but considering it if it goes on sale.

pPOLO2-13493251_lifestyle_v360x480.jpg

http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/...249169&utm_source=Google_PLA&utm_campaign=CSE

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Anyone have their thoughts on it, quality and sizing? full retail is way too steep imo, but considering it if it goes on sale.
pPOLO2-13493251_lifestyle_v360x480.jpg
http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/...249169&utm_source=Google_PLA&utm_campaign=CSE

Not feeling it, since it's imported. Why buy something MIC if you can get the real-deal peacoat's here, or something fashion forward and made in France or Italy? Plus, it looks a little boxy and forced, to me. Tons of better options in that price range.

Last edited:

Snoopy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Billy Reid Bond coat is gorgeous. I never owned a peacoat but I do need a new coat for winter in NYC this year.

Do you guys think it will warm me for the entire winter? Also is it worth the price of $675?

robinsongreen68

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i've found a nice vintage WWII swedish issue peacoat, shoulders are perfect but it's a bit large in the chest, i assume it's possible to have this taken in as on a normal jacket?
thanks!

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads