1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by ruzzi, Mar 30, 2006.

1. LaymanX

LaymanX Senior member

So I received the coat and it fits decently right off the bat (excuse my daughters stuff hanging in the background!). It's in brand new condition (which is amazing given that it's from 1962) and the kersey wool lives up to the hype. It's smooth and has a great hand, unlike melton wool. If I didn't know any better, I would've guessed a wool/cashmere blend. It's a very substantial material as well with minimal lining. I might slim the arms and expand the chest by 0.5 inches.

[​IMG]

2. auri

auri New Member

Got a Sterlingwear Navigator 34R. It feels a bit boxy but I wanted a classic look that could last me 10+ years or so. The shoulders feel a bit structured and big but I am a size 37 chest and wear 37-38S suits so a 32R, which I tried on at Sterlingwear, was just too tight. Not sure if I should have went with a 34S but they didn't have it. For reference I am 5'7 145.

Any opinions on the look? One is with shirt and light sweater underneath, others are just button up.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  3. Peacoat

Peacoat Senior member

Difficult to tell exactly from the pictures, especially Laymanx's photo, but I would say both of them are decent fits.

Laymanx, please let us know your chest size, the stated chest size of the coat, and the exact p2p of your coat. That will add to the body of knowledge of the fit of these coats.

4. LaymanX

LaymanX Senior member

Coat is a size 38, measuring 42 inches p2p. There is no pulling on the buttons, but it fits pretty snug as I had thought it would off the stated measurements from the seller.

I dropped it off at my tailor to get the chest expanded by one inch and get the sleeves slimmed down. Will post a better fit pic them.

My tailor was in love with the coat, and kept murmuring "They don't make it like this anymore".

5. Peacoat

Peacoat Senior member

The p2p measurements are taken across the front of the peacoat. They are not doubled as more error is induced by doubling the number.

The p2p on your size 38 coat should be 20+- inches, probably about 20.25 for a 1962 peacoat. Please see my dating guide for the most accurate method of measuring the p2p.

6. LaymanX

LaymanX Senior member

Ah, I see. Unfortunately the coat is already at the tailors so I can't measure it at the moment.

7. Terpo

Terpo Senior member

I would appreciate some feedback on the fit of this peacoat:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks!

8. bkdoty

bkdoty Member

Looks like from the back it could use a little tailoring. Don't know how snug it fits around the waist line. That is always my issue! It's a nice looking coat, though!

9. bkdoty

bkdoty Member

I've posted this somewhere else before finding this thread, so delete the other if necessary, but I have to find this coat! Anyone familiar with it! I just love the large collar and the leather accents! But, to steal a phrase from my southern grandma, Tom Brady "could wear a toe-sack and look good in it!" LOL

[​IMG]

10. Terpo

Terpo Senior member

Thanks. I think the waist is not too terrible, it's definitely slim cut. What bothers me more are the shoulders, which I think are too wide and the collar, which has a gap with the neck, and the collar band does not properly cover the leather underneath. Is this something that can be tailored or do I need to return the coat?

11. bkdoty

bkdoty Member

The issue with the collar is something I am unsure about. You are right about the shoulders, but shortening the shoulder seam is an easy fix for most tailors. That MIGHT fix the collar problem. But then, once you've had it tailored, you can't take it back! Hard decision...

12. Terpo

Terpo Senior member

It's the Luxire Skyfall Style Peacoat. Getting the measurements wrong for things like the shoulder is my fault (should have taken my shirt measurement and not added 0.5 inches to the yoke). However, the leather popping out underneath the collar should not be happening in any case and would be a reason to send it in for fixing.

13. Peacoat

Peacoat Senior member

I think the coat is just too big for you. Before you start cutting it, you ought to send it back and try a size or two smaller.

14. luxire

luxire Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Luxire peacoat with brass buttons. We now offer more button options for your peacoat in brass, chrome, anchor buttons in blue, white, black, gold and silver and many more. Shown below:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. benjamin831

benjamin831 Senior member

Looks pretty droopy in the shoulders. What fabric is that?

16. Terpo

Terpo Senior member

The fabric is dugdale wool 25oz. I can't just send it back, as the jacket is MTM. I have perfectly fitting Luxire shirts and my measurements for this coat were recommendations based on those shirt measurements.

Is there any chance in having this sorted out by a tailor? Especially the collar bothers me, it just seems too short.

17. bellyhungry

bellyhungry Senior member

PSA: For Toronto residents who is looking for a Billy Reid James Bond pea coat, I saw a size M at The Bay in Sherway for $599.

It is in their basement's men's section under the escalator.

18. benjamin831

benjamin831 Senior member

The tailor could take in the shoulder by a lot. And maybe take in a bit at the waist. I'm not sure what can be done about the collar. The original Skyfall coat has a really short collar, which is why I don't like it.

19. bellyhungry

bellyhungry Senior member

Just picked up from the tailor (had to get the sleeves shorten) my newly-acquired J Crew Dock pea coat in dried olive. Very happy with the fit and the color.

My other pea coat is a 2 years old RL Academy in navy blue. The dried olive certainly stands out.

20. Robert

Robert Senior member

Benjamin, much too big all over. I'm guessing it is at least a size too big.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014