1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by ruzzi, Mar 30, 2006.

1. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

See the below. I agree with you. Anyone who's still paying $700 for those is nuts IMO. I got mine during the very first re-run. Back then, it was supposed to be a limited re-release. When they went back on that and started churning them out, things started going to pieces.

Since then, they've made some note-worthy changes to the materials used with absolutely no forewarning for those who'd already placed orders, and I've read plenty of quality control complaints. The Bond connection makes people more forgiving than they would be for a normal $700 clothing item.

2. LaymanX

LaymanX Senior member

The RMC version seems to be slimmer cut than the BR one.

3. Mr Sola

Mr Sola Senior member

So here's a few better pics of my RMC. I have to decide in the next few days if I'm going to keep it, and I'm leaning towards yes (the Sterlingwear will be going in B&S if anyone is interested). I took one with the collar up. I agree it's a good look, but I don't think I need to wear it up all the time. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Mr Sola

Mr Sola Senior member

I haven't seen the BR in person. So I can't tell you for sure. From what I read, the RMC had longer sleeves and a trimmer cut (which were things I was looking for. I also read that BR's QC was not the greatest. I can tell you that the RMC is amazing. 37oz wool is stout. Great stitching without any hanging threads. Working double breast is pretty cool. I think it fits good (the pics are above). Some of the features are similar to both coats (10 buttons, corduroy lined pockets, and throat latch).

5. hkl16

hkl16 Member

How did you size on the RMC? Seems like a big difference compared to your sterlingwear.

6. hkl16

hkl16 Member

So you ordered the coat last week and they shipped it already? I ordered it in october and they still didn't ship it yet. I think i'm going to call them and cancel the order based on your experience with it.

7. SerialComma

SerialComma Senior member

For those of you who own the Bond Peacoat, do you find it warm enough for a really cold, windy day? I live in NYC. For the coldest days, I have a down parka. I do like the style and cut of the Bond, but is the no-lining thing something I'll regret?

8. Mr Sola

Mr Sola Senior member

I measured the Sterlingwear and compared it to the sizing info on BiG and Superdenim. The RMC measures about an inch smaller in all dimensions when I compared them last night. However, you can see that the RMC has a much better silhouette. From what I have read, the BR is a more faithful reproduction (meaning less fitted).

9. hkl16

hkl16 Member

Thanks. You should def keep your RMC.

10. SerialComma

SerialComma Senior member

Thanks for this! That's really helpful. And whoa...a whole thread devoted to this coat. I had no idea it was such a big deal.

11. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

That's what I was referring to. I got my coat from that run. After they went back on the "limited supply" and opened the flood gates, they started changing the materials. Kudos to them for making the $$

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
  12. entropicamerica

entropicamerica New Member

Hey all,

I need a fit check on two peacoats. One is 38R and the other is 40R (both 1950s vintage). My chest measures at a 39R... I think the shoulders fit well on the 38R (right?) but it's snug across the chest. The 40R looks too big in general, right? Advice/feedback?

38R
    [​IMG][​IMG]

40R

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Robert

Robert Senior member

It's hard to say, the way you're wearing them. Too buttoned up and collar not popped. You need to open the top and bottom buttons and leave just the middle buttoned. Then pop the collar at least slightly. I'm guessing the 38 is good but as I say, you're not wearing it right, so that makes it difficult to say.

14. entropicamerica

I've read that the collar should only be popped in extremely cold/bad weather, and the only one button thing seems very odd to me. I know the reasoning for it with a single-breasted suit, what is the reasoning behind it for a peacoat?

15. Robert

Robert Senior member

Well, if it's not cold enough to pop the collar, you probably shouldn't be wearing it in the first place. But you "should" pop it if you want to look like you know how to wear a pea coat. Some collars are just meant to be popped, and this is one of them. And just as you wouldn't button all three buttons on a three-button blazer (please don't tell me you would), you "shouldn't" button all the buttons on a pea coat.

But it's up to you, of course. This is only style/fashion or whatever, and it's all personal and subjective. I happen to think doing these things makes the coat look better, just as I think buttoning only the middle button on a three-button blazer looks better. And I base a lot of this on the way I have seen the pea coat worn.

I don't know. Check out some images and decide for yourself: Googled images of pea coat wearin'

Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
  16. entropicamerica

I'm very new to this, but a peacoat is weather gear and not a suit jacket, so I'm not sure it's fair to draw a comparison, is it? Everything I've read says that the peacoat should be fully buttoned, even GQ. What are some of the iconic photos you're referring to? It looks like Robert Redford wears it popped and 1-2 buttons undone in "Three Days of the Condor" but I see a lot of old pictures of sailors wearing all the buttons done and collars down... I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm just trying to learn.

17. Robert

Robert Senior member

I really don't care. Wear it however you'd like.

18. entropicamerica

19. Robert

Robert Senior member

Okay, well, here's some more: I wouldn't count on GQ to give you the best advice on this kind of thing.

20. J BAILEY

J BAILEY Senior member

I'm not sure in what situation it would be cold enough to wear a peacoat but not cold enough to have it buttoned all the way up, and the collar thing seems entirely subjective.