1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by ruzzi, Mar 30, 2006.

1. Distorbiant

Distorbiant Senior member

Need advice:

I have a coat that's very much like a peacoat, except it has large oversized pockets sewn onto the front. They're a bit off to the side too so they go over the stitching to the side seams. Do you think it would be possible to get this coat taken in? I'm just worried the proportions would get all fucked up because of these pockets. It fits kind of boxy right now, but it's such a nice jacket.

The measurements are like
    Chest: 23"
    Midsection: 23"
    Waist: 23"

lol

I'd want something like
    Chest: 23"
    Midsection: 20.5"
    Waist: 21"

Someone tell me this isn't a stupid idea.

2. Peacoat

Peacoat Senior member

Thank you for your kind words. Glad you found my research helpful. PC

This thread is pretty much limited to peacoats. There are probably other areas on the forum where you might find a more accurate answer to your question. But if you post photos, someone might give you some comments.

With the proportions you have given, and the description of the pockets, it might be better to start over with something that is a better fit for you.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  3. Robson

Robson New Member

Hi,

Concerning the sizing of the Schott 740N. I found this picture on Amazon France for the 740N. IF I am a size 40 chest and follow what people suggest and order a size 40 740N, will the fit look like the picture ? My built is 6ft tall, 165Ilbs, chest 40 (my suits are 40), athletic frame, waist 32 ...

[​IMG]

4. KID AD

KID AD Member

Hi guys. I have few questions.

#1. Is sterlingwear official webstore on sale like semi-annual or thanksgiving?

#2. I have short legs and long waist. Should I go with 2x4 buttons(mariner) or 2x3 buttons(navigator)?

#3. What is 'Sterlingwear Authentic Peacoat'? Is it something special? Or is it just another name of mariner and navigator?

Thanks a lot.

5. Peacoat

Peacoat Senior member

I have heard from others, but have no first hand information, that the Schotts are built like a sack.

Welcome to the Forum.

Can't help you on #1 & # 2, but the answer to your third question is that it is just another model in the collection. The Authentic's pit to pit measures the same as the issue coats, so it may be a little better fit than some of the other models. If you haven't already done so, read the fit section in my peacoat dating guide. The section on fitting is toward the end. The guide is linked to in my signature line below.

1 person likes this.
  6. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Senior member

Probably 2x3, but that's assuming their dimensions are the same.

7. bellyhungry

bellyhungry Senior member

Does anyone have the JCrew Dock peacoat? How is the fit?

I am looking to get one in dried olive and am just wondering about sizing.

Also, for the non-Thinsulate version, what is the lining like?

TIA.

8. soko

soko New Member

I have a Bonobos Halifax, navy, in L that is too big for me. In my attempt to find a pea coat that fits me, I found this forum & thread. Here's to hoping someone out there has a M and would like to swap with me, or I could make a cash offer to them.

[​IMG]

Otherwise, if someone could suggest an option that would fit someone of my build (which seems to be rare), that'd be great.

My measurements are: 41" chest (I wear a 42R suit jacket), neck 16/16.5", 32" waist (wear 32x32 pant), 5'10.5" height and 170lbs. Quite muscular w/ athletic build. I used to be a collegiate swimmer...

So much of my wardrobe is J.Crew, and I usually wear L in everything they make, sometimes L slim. I'd like a slim fitting peacoat ideally but realize my shoulders require enough space and some mediums out there might be too constricting. Any suggestions? Thanks--

9. Robert

Robert Senior member

I'm 6.1 and 190# and my J. Crew mediums sometimes feel large. Aren't you swimming in larges?

Anyway, I think you'd be good in a medium peacoat from J. Crew.

10. soko

soko New Member

Thanks Robert. I've been searching eBay for the Bayswater w/ Thinsulate in medium, but it's a rarer item. Hopefully one pops up.

As for J.Crew sizing on me, I'll correct my earlier post by saying all their dress shirts (haberdashery, quality woven, & oxfords) I own are Slim Fit Ls. Regular is just too boxy/wide around my torso.

But for everything else including flannels and long sleeve tees, large is just fine. I even have an XL flannel from them that fits me. Isn't that insane for someone my size?!

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  11. Nathan84

Nathan84 Well-Known Member

Hi guys,

Posting additional picture from Prague. How is, according to your opinion, fitting of this pea coat?

Thanks in advance,
    P.S
    I know that color of gloves not matches rest of clothes, sorry.
    [​IMG]

12. Peacoat

Peacoat Senior member

Appears to be a good fit through the torso and the sleeves. Might be just a bit short in the body length. Hard to tell from the picture. If it covers your butt, it is a good fit in the length.

13. Ironist

Ironist Senior member

If anyone could care to comment on the fit of this Buzz Rickson I bought from another member I would appreciate it. I realize the sleeves need to be fixed probably two inches or so as they were shortened too much and I am a bit overweight so it's tight right now. Thanks.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. hkl16

hkl16 Member

The fit looks awesome, just need to lengthen the sleeves. How did you size on it?

15. Peacoat

Peacoat Senior member

There should be enough material inside the cuff to lengthen an inch or so, and more if the seamstress left the excess material when she shortened the sleeve length.

16. luxire

luxire Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Peacoats for Gentlemen.......and now ladies.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Ironist

Ironist Senior member

Thanks for the feedback. I really appreciate it.

So this is kind of weird but I used to be a 36 and now I'm supposedly a 38 according to several sales associates at BB. The tag says 36. When I measure my chest it is 37 or 38 when I inhale so the BB SAs are probably right. It fits very tight and I'm not sure that I could fit a thick sweater. I'm just glad this fit me lengthwise as I am 5'4.

Yes, it looks like the tailor left ~2.5 inches of fabric inside so I might end up using the whole length to bring it down to about an inch or so above where my thumb meets my index finger.

This was my first peacoat so I was kind of concerned about fit since it didn't look like it fit me like this model and the article said I should... however, that is probably unrealistic given the cut of this coat, my physique, and that the picture is of a model.

[​IMG]

18. Peacoat

Peacoat Senior member

The tailor will be able to use almost all of the excess material, if needed. He will add a piece of dark material to the excess, and that will allow more of the original fabric to be used. I think of it as "scabbing on" in the construction business, but I think tailors refer to it as a "bias," perhaps because ot the use of bias tape.

19. Ironist

Ironist Senior member

Ah thanks Peacoat, I was wondering about how much I could use. That's useful information to know. Learn something new everyday.

20. Terpo

Terpo Senior member

Is there anything that can be done if the shoulders are a little too wide and there is a gap between the collar and neck?