• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread

burnso

Reaction score
We are working on a system to ship all items as duty paid to all customers in almost all countries....

In order to do that, we plan to charge a flat $20 on each order, irrespective of order size. This will be termed as shipping charges....

I am not very keen on this Luxire, as I don't get charged duty.
The 'free delivery on order over $100' is quite a huge draw for me, and actually encourages me to get more than one item/ or spend more than $100; meaning 2 shirts for $140 (or a better quality fabric on one shirt) rather than one shirt and delivery for $110 etc etc

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I recently ordered a shirt from luxire and I'm looking for some advice on adjusting my measurement. The shirt fits decent in general, but there seems to be excess fabric behind my armpit and I'm not sure how to get rid of it. Would reducing armhole sizing help that?

I also get this. At first I thought it was because I specified slightly forward shoulders and slight sloping shoulders.
did you also specify this?

Macs

Reaction score
I have a fair amount of experience of ordering stuff to Geneva, Switzerland. What I've noticed is that if ever I used Fedex/DHL/UPS/EMS shipping, i will always be hit by the 8% VAT plus en extra 30+ "Because screw you" fee, almost regardless of the declared value.

However, when ever I use the national post office, such as USPS for packages from the USA, they never bother to collect VAT or any extra fees when the declared value is low (<100). This is why i always use USPS, or which ever the national post company is. For shirts at $60, you wouldn't even need to lower the declared value (although you could probably declare $20 and nobody would second guess that price for a shirt coming from India)

For this reason, I never ever use Fedex/DHL/UPS/EMS. I'm not sure if this is the case elsewhere in Europe though. Can anyone comment?

Adding an option to use the national post office would be an ideal solution in my case, even though the package might take more than 2 days to arrive. As for larger orders, such as coats, i would be willing to pay an extra fee to make sure that there were no surprises once the package arrives. For shirts though, an extra $20 would put the bar pretty high to start getting into MTM. I've been ordering one shirt at time in order to get my measurements down before buying more shirts in bulk.
+1

Monkeyface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So it seems that most people are making a decision based on the past, while that situation will change in the future. I've never had to pay duties in the past in the UK, but if that changes I'm more than willing to pay $20 to avoid it. Usually the handling fee alone is around that amount. I think we should make this decision while using forward thinking, not while looking back.

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sounds like Luxire previously benefited from a strange setup where no duty was levied on packages to the US, but the loophole is now closed. Going forward, the choice might be paying a typical exorbitant Fedex customs+brokerage charge, or paying $20 per shipment upfront as duty prepay.

This is immediately what I thought as soon as I saw Luxire's most recent post. Now I'm nervous for my next order to arrive because I have no idea what kind of fees I'm going to get hit with when I pick it up from the local Fedex store. If I get smacked with something big then I'd be all for a $20 flat rate.

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So it seems that most people are making a decision based on the past, while that situation will change in the future. I've never had to pay duties in the past in the UK, but if that changes I'm more than willing to pay $20 to avoid it. Usually the handling fee alone is around that amount. I think we should make this decision while using forward thinking, not while looking back.

Until Luxire's last post, I don't think anyone had reason to believe anything would change, so it made sense to make judgments based on past orders. But in light of some new information, you're definitely right...if everyone starts getting hit with high customs charges, I'm sure we will see people changing their tune here and agreeing to a $20 flat fee to cover everything up front.

thejoker

Reaction score
You have been lucky. Customs charges are a bit hit and miss in the UK. I was charged for 3 polo shirts i bought from Kent Wang (USA), and then not on the next batch which was exactly the same. Officially, if the order is below £135 then you are liable for import VAT, but not customs. Over this amount, then both are due.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

We will be more than happy to continue with the current process.

The invoicing arrangement between our US and India offices resulted in duty savings to the customer. Sadly, that cannot be continued now.

Except customers in Australia and ones placing small orders from USA, almost all other customers can expect a regular and higher duty bill with almost every shipment.

We can revisit this discussion then in a few weeks.

The decision was NOT taken with what @7_rocket  accuses us of. It was taken keeping your overall cost and joy of ordering in mind.

Judging from our order book, this decision, on the contrary, will be a major financial burden on us.

Suit Supply does almost the same thing and I think it is a good model for global e-commerce. Mot customers would rather not be bothered with duty calculations or wait for their packet anxiously to see what additional costs have been slapped on.

Let us discuss it further. We will take the decision collectively.

:D

Edit. I'll keep an eye on the outcome.

Last edited:

lbrig

Reaction score
I've noticed on my last two orders to the US that the item cost on the customs form was listed as double the actual cost ($199 vs $99). Any reason for that?

Will this closed loophole affect orders not yet shipped?

Skyhigh

Reaction score

This is immediately what I thought as soon as I saw Luxire's most recent post. Now I'm nervous for my next order to arrive because I have no idea what kind of fees I'm going to get hit with when I pick it up from the local Fedex store. If I get smacked with something big then I'd be all for a $20 flat rate.

I agree. Much better to have transparency in cost before ordering a product.

bertie

Reaction score
I'm in Canada. Like others have said, I find that mail service does not attract extra costs while courier companies always add duty/taxes and their special surprise fee. I could live live with a $20 flat fee if Luxire continues to use fedex (or other courier). Like Holdfast - it would mean fewer, but bigger, orders. I would miss the impulsive one-off order when a new cloth becomes available but will likely be more rationale overall.

Monkeyface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Until Luxire's last post, I don't think anyone had reason to believe anything would change, so it made sense to make judgments based on past orders. But in light of some new information, you're definitely right...if everyone starts getting hit with high customs charges, I'm sure we will see people changing their tune here and agreeing to a $20 flat fee to cover everything up front.

Yeah, I meant in light of the new information the old arguments might be invalid.

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah, I meant in light of the new information the old arguments might be invalid.

Agreed. It's too bad...I wonder what kind of rule they were bending that now they're stuck making changes to their polices.

ryewo[i dmfsOZI490w

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What about offering three options during checkout:
1. $20 fee upfront, no surprises
2. Free shipping with national mail carrier (fewer surprises, takes longer)
3. The old free option with FedEx, and let the customer deal with whatever surprises there are, if any.

Last edited:

cbfn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What about offering three options during checkout:
1. $20 fee upfront, no surprises
2. Free shipping with national mail carrier (fewer surprises, takes longer)
3. The old free option with FedEx, and let the customer deal with whatever surprises there are, if any.

Number two might not be feasible for a lot of reasons, number three might have been a deal that is no longer an option for Luxire.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads