• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lenovo thread

badsha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good solid laptop. No need for a ThinkPad for a kid. I have no experience with them, just reputation of Lenovo.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Good solid laptop. No need for a ThinkPad for a kid. I have no experience with them, just reputation of Lenovo.

he's gone through an HP and a Sony VAIO vfc model, which was the family laptop but really used mostly by him. It always ran hoty and this morning it stopped working. So maybe a robust Thinkpad is not a bad idea.

badsha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

he's gone through an HP and a Sony VAIO vfc model, which was the family laptop but really used mostly by him. It always ran hoty and this morning it stopped working. So maybe a robust Thinkpad is not a bad idea.

Lets put it this way. You will get a more powerful laptop with IdeaPad than a ThinkPad, since ThinkPad's cost a bit more. Budget?

highfalutin

Reaction score

what is the best deal I can get on a thinkpad under $500?
You tried the Lenovo Outlet, right? Better yet, get a Chromebook. I have been using ThinkPad since forever but I am really glad I switched to Samsung to save time and frustration, even tough the hardware isn't as swank.

Last edited:

NormanF

Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum
anybody else own lenovo products?
Yes my school. Everything is Lenovo 联想. My neighbours all have Lenovo cellphones. In fact one sees 'Lenovo 联想' everywhere here.

Lenovo has built on IBM's reputation for building quality, top notch products. Its the first Chinese company with a world reputation. Contrary to conventional wisdom, not all goods made in China are bottom of the barrel junk. I really like my Lenovo Thinkpad X120E.

Last edited:

NormanF

Reaction score
I always hear great things about these laptops, but I wish they would step up the game in their designs. Never been a big fan of how they look.

Lenovo has a distinctive corporate feel. Its that IBM heritage. People expect that and it defines them. Its a classic look, especially with the famed Thinkpad series.

NormanF

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JMRouse
I always hear great things about these laptops, but I wish they would step up the game in their designs. Never been a big fan of how they look.
Ideapads should be right up your alley. The u260 is a beautiful computer. http://shop.lenovo.com/us/products/l...pad/index.html and +1 to the Thinkpads being a great design. My x120e looks better than any other 10-12 in computer out there. (IMO)

I agree. The "notbook" is a good value in terms of price and quality. Before AMD came out with the Fusion chip, one had to pay thousands of dollars for a quality ultraportable computer. Netbooks have their uses but they're not meant for serious computing. The Thinkpad X120E changed it all.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Originally Posted by JMRouse
-2It's a minimalist, no-frills design done just right. That's one of the many reasons I own Lenovos
To their detriment, they did have that horrifically and inexplicable bad design a few years back with an off-center screen:

NormanF

Reaction score
Yeah, that was a misfire. People wondered when IBM exited the PC business, whether the legendary quality of its products would be maintained. Happily, those fears have been largely misplaced.

djh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lol Norman do you work for Lenovo?

That off center screen was to fit a larger wifi antenna. I had that computer for a while and never really noticed it.

NormanF

Reaction score
lol Norman do you work for Lenovo?
That off center screen was to fit a larger wifi antenna. I had that computer for a while and never really noticed it.

lol... no I don't! But I must say as an aesthetic statement, a Thinkpad graces any room its in.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads