Lenovo thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by indesertum, May 14, 2011.

1. Dashaansafin

Dashaansafin Senior member

where are you gettin 8gb for $300?

i spent 80 for mine

What I mean is when you buy the computer the upgrade is significantly more expensive than the actual stick you can buy.

2. AgentQ

AgentQ Senior member

I upgraded my x200 to 8gb and replaced the HD with an SSD. It is FAST and lasts forever (windows boots in 10-15s). It comes back from standby almost instantaneously. If you don't want to shell out another $1500-2k bucks, ram+ssd will get you 2-3 more years unless you're doing something that really requires the extra cpu.

Oh nice, for some reason I thought 4gb ram was the max capacity. You may have saved me a g or two [​IMG]

3. BlackToothedGrin

BlackToothedGrin Senior member

Just bought 4 gigs of ram (will be 6 total) and a crucial m4 ssd for my x120e. I'm hoping to see some speed improvement for a very modest investment ($120). I'll report back with my results once everything arrives and is installed

4. Bentech

Bentech Active Member

Figured this thread needed a bump!

After many frustrating Dell years, I'm finally joining the Thinkpad Family.

I just ordered my new X220 (i5 2520m, IPS screen, 9-cell) as well as 8gb of RAM from Newegg.

Extremely excited!

Shipping times are looking a little bleak though, has everyone here's experiences been as bad as many of the other horror stories around the web?

Also, Whats everyone been doing for SSDs? I know that the latest gen of thinkpads will only take 7mm thick drives. Do I have any other choices beyond an Intel drive?

5. badsha

badsha Senior member

Largest available is the 160GB SSD for Lenovo. The new 13.3" MAC Book Air came out i5/i7 cpu 2nd gen. Apple offers 256GB SSD. I am impressed with the new Mac Book Air, 1440x900 screen, looks beautiful, price is competitive with Lenovo X1, battery life is better by 3 hours.

Has anyone thrown Win 7 on the MacBook Air?

Speaking of Lenovo X1, the reviews have not been stellar due to loud fan noise, Caps lock on keyboard (cant tell if on/off without software), up key sticks, rubber door that hides the USB/Mic, battery life not great, and GLOSSY Screen.

My recommendation is to stick with the X220. X220 IPS screen blows away anything I have used. I have firsthand experience with the X1 and T420s and the LCD (w/LED Backlit) are not as nice, but still pretty good.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011

6. Farhan

Farhan Active Member

I've read horror stories of CPU throttling issues on the X220, w/out any resolution from Lenovo. Anybody here experiencing slowdown on their X220s?

7. Bentech

Bentech Active Member

No issues here, mine is the i5-2520 Intel says it should run at 2.5Ghz, and turbo up to 3.2Ghz

I just ran some tests using Prime 95, Coretemp, and CPU-Z

At idle, it clocked itself down to about 800Mhz

Under 100% load on all 4 threads, it it turbo'd(?) itself up to 3.0Ghz

Under 100% load on 1 thread, it turbo'd to 3.2Ghz.

Looks pretty normal to me.

One worry I do have is the heat output. on the second test, with all cores maxed out, the temperature rose to 95 degrees Celcius within a few minutes. At that point I stopped the test, even though the temperature was still rising.

Although I can't see many instances where you would be putting that much stress on your computer for very long, it is still worrying.

8. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

My CPU was overheating frequently. I called service, got a one day shipping box the next day. A week later I got it back and it works fine now. Always below 52 deg celsius.

9. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

:fistbump: some of the crucial drives have a removable bar that let's it fit. There's a thread on notebookreview dedicated to ssds for x220.

10. Bentech

Bentech Active Member

Hmm, thanks for the info, I might go ahead and do that.

I don't see many times when my computer will be hitting those kinds of loads, but the fact that it was hitting the thermal limit in a matter of minutes really worries me.

11. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Yeag give them call. One of the best customer service experiences I've had

12. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

There's circuitry built-in to protect the cpu from melting itself. it's highly unlikely you'll kill it. No regular workload will peg all 4 cores at 100% though.

13. Big Pun

Big Pun Senior member

I know nothing about laptops, but would like to buy one. Ive heard good things about Lenovo. Ill just be using this for casual internet browsing, watching movies, itunes, maybe a game or two. This will be mainly used at the home, I want a decent sized screen. Looking to spend around $600, any recommendations?

14. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Check their online outlet store. You might be able to find previous gen laptops at a good price. X200 is a good model as is the x301

15. Big Pun

Big Pun Senior member

I was very anxious and after conducting my own research I kopped an Ideapad V570 :)