• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Moo Wenwu

Reaction score
Does anyone have Allen Edmonds/Kent Wang shoes? I’m a 10D in AE’s 5 last (Parks, Fifths, Strands, etc.). Was wondering if I should try out Kent Wang’s single monk strap in their 10 size too. Thanks!

blewnote1

Reaction score
Just wanted to send some kudos to the guys at Kent Wang for their stellar products and excellent service. I bought an assortment of pocket squares to see what they looked like in person and with some of my sportcoats and had the hardest time choosing which to keep because I wanted to keep all of them! They're fabulous.

Additionally, one that I definitely knew I wanted, the Shinigawa, had a pulled thread sticking up when I received it. I contacted them via email to ask what I should do and if it would be a problem and received a response that day offering a partial refund (if I was willing to keep it) and guaranteeing that if it ever unraveled they would replace it. I know it's a small company and I was pleasantly surprised by the quick response, given the slowness with which some other small companies I do business with respond to communication.

Anyway, it was an all around great experience and I look forward to doing more business with them in the future (that refund will be applied to a knit tie that I've been debating getting forever). Well done, Kent Wang!

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Does anyone have Allen Edmonds/Kent Wang shoes? I’m a 10D in AE’s 5 last (Parks, Fifths, Strands, etc.). Was wondering if I should try out Kent Wang’s single monk strap in their 10 size too. Thanks!
Yes, I wear the same size in Park Avenue and in my shoes, so you should also be the same size, 10.

Moo Wenwu

Reaction score
Hi @Kent Wang, was hoping for some feedback on selecting lapel width. It'll be a casual-leaning navy sport jacket (3roll2, patch pockets, brown MOP buttons). I was thinking the standard 3.5" (9cm) width at first, but after reading previous users' experiences with your MTM cut, I was wondering if I should go with the wide 4" (10cm) width. Usually, I tend to prefer wider lapels since my chest is larger (like a 42R chest with a 38R waist). I also am fond of the Neapolitan/Florentine cuts. I've also found my favorite sport jackets' lapel widths are 9.3cm, though I wouldn't be opposed to something slightly wider even.

Could you please comment on how your lapel widths are measured? Is the trial jacket the standard 3.5"? Maybe this'll clear up once I have trial jacket. Looking forward to starting this project with you guys.

Thanks!

aaronatKW

Reaction score
Hi @Kent Wang, was hoping for some feedback on selecting lapel width. It'll be a casual-leaning navy sport jacket (3roll2, patch pockets, brown MOP buttons). I was thinking the standard 3.5" (9cm) width at first, but after reading previous users' experiences with your MTM cut, I was wondering if I should go with the wide 4" (10cm) width. Usually, I tend to prefer wider lapels since my chest is larger (like a 42R chest with a 38R waist). I also am fond of the Neapolitan/Florentine cuts. I've also found my favorite sport jackets' lapel widths are 9.3cm, though I wouldn't be opposed to something slightly wider even.

Could you please comment on how your lapel widths are measured? Is the trial jacket the standard 3.5"? Maybe this'll clear up once I have trial jacket. Looking forward to starting this project with you guys.

Thanks!

Hello Moo!

Aaron here. My base size is a 52eu/42 us and I like the 10cm notch. Here I am in a 10cm three roll two jacket suit with Bruce Boyer.

Our lapel widths move in 1cm increments for both high and low gorge lapels. High gorge is 7/8/9cm etc while low gorge is 7.2/8.2/9.2cm. etc. I attach some drawings showing where we measure.

Screenshot 2022-10-24 1.04.14 PM.png

Moo Wenwu

Reaction score
Thanks for the input! I'm leaning 10cm lapel. Might have to see the trial jacket before completely deciding.

Last edited:

Moo Wenwu

Reaction score
Just received the trial jacket today and pretty excited to see it fitting somewhat closely already (I thought there'd be big issues with the waist especially). Can anybody perhaps comment on fit?

Something I found interesting was that Kent Wang's website says the suit is 20" across at waist (buttoning point) for size 40R. However, I think I'm measuring 19.25" for Size 40R. I'm not sure what measurement to go with. I think 0.75" is a huge difference, and that would drastically effect how I go about changing measurements for the final jacket. Any thoughts on this? I'm not sure what measurements to go with — this trial jacket's or the website.

Finally, I was also wondering what the high gorge looks like. Is there something in between low and high? I read older posts saying there was a standard gorge height?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 140
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 143
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 150
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 249
Last edited:

aaronatKW

Reaction score
Thanks, that's helpful to know. I am interested in the high gorge lapel. Are there any reference pictures for a high gorge 9cm vs 10cm? Maybe on the blog?

Here is a drawing showing the difference between high gorge and low gorge in peak lapels. As you can see, the gorge and the peak are about 1cm lower on the right. Notch lapels show similarly, but I don't have a drawing for them.

Gorge height and lapel width are influenced by body height/width, and by fashion. Fashion: for many years everything in suits was short, and tight. Lapels were narrower, gorges were higher. Now proportions are relaxing, and both gorges and button points are descending. Lapels are widening. For someone like you in a base 40 jacket, a low gorge notch lapel of 9.2 or 10.2 cm might be nice. Will reply to you in greater detail by email.
Screen Shot 2022-10-31 at 5.16.21 PM.png

Last edited:

Moo Wenwu

Reaction score
Can anybody please show me what the unpadded (spalla a camicia) vs unpadded con rollino (spalla a camicia with roping) look like? I'm between the two. I think my favorite Ring Jacket sport coats are con rollino, but I was wondering if I could achieve the same look with Kent Wang's take on it. Thanks!

ThePanda

Reaction score
Does anyone have any pictures of the Charcoal Trial suit tailored up?
I am in need of a basic suit.
I am 5'9

Also what kind of shoulders are in the Trial suit?

Last edited:

aaronatKW

Reaction score
Does anyone have any pictures of the Charcoal Trial suit tailored up?
I am in need of a basic suit.
I am 5'9

Also what kind of shoulders are in the Trial suit?

Hello Panda!

Here is a photo of a man wearing our trial suit. It's great for all suited occasions. The shoulder is our standard shoulder. please write [email protected] with any questions.

1667938799134.png

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads