Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

How would you deal with the "wannabee baller" friend?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Saltricks, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Nereis

Nereis Senior member

Deep seated self esteem issues are hard to sort out. Plus, we've only heard little snippets of this guys life. How about something that doesn't involve him acting crazy so we can get a fuller picture.

2. Reevolving

Reevolving Senior member

How does he dress at the stockbroker firm?
    Is he cold calling new clients (sales), or doing something else.
    Why is he an intern, and not a FT employee? You guys are graduates.

3. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

Reevolving: [​IMG]

4. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

[​IMG]
    i LOL'ed. this smiley is great when used with the right timing - captured my reaction perfectly as well

5. Saltricks

Saltricks Senior member

Hey guys, been busy, but here is a picture from last night with douchefriend:

[​IMG]

[​IMG] @ round up for charity

6. KenN

KenN Senior member

Hey guys, been busy, but here is a picture from last night with douchefriend:

[​IMG]

[​IMG] @ round up for charity

Haha I see another $0.00 tip on the receipt underneath

7. Saltricks

Saltricks Senior member

i like how he puts 0.00 just to be a douche. His status was "girls like assholes so ill give them asshole...big fat 0! On my chase sapphire card!!"

8. Reevolving

Reevolving Senior member

I think he is missing the nuance of "game".
    Cheapskate = weak Beta

PS: I bet that round up is a scam.
    House just keeps it.

9. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

its kind of the socal thing being around so many wealthy people (or wannabe wealthy people) constantly.

i lived there for 3 years and its really a powerful peer pressure system (even among older adults and especially among the AZNs).

i grew up in a affluent new england sailing town, but everyone kinda hid their wealth and showing off was totally frowned upon. lots of old beat up as shit volvos/landcruisers/land rovers driven and old as shit topsiders worn.

i almost can't live in socal just because of that kind of excess and weird mentality of my friends who live there.

but still this wannabe baller friend is a keeper! just don't hang alone with him incase there are guns/knives/bats broken out and you end up dying because of him. any bodily harm would be your fault and deny you access to the pearly gates of heaven and straight to the non heavenly nothingness of darwinism.

10. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

i like how he puts 0.00 just to be a douche. His status was "girls like assholes so ill give them asshole...big fat 0! On my chase sapphire card!!"

Is a Chase Sapphire the new 35k millionaire card?

11. Reevolving

Reevolving Senior member

12. AgentQ

AgentQ Senior member

More stories please!

13. msza

msza Senior member

To solve the wannabe problem, just get him some "official baller sneakers." Problem solved.

But really I think it's okay to hang out with him if you are old friends. If you're worried, I would just let people know the backstory when you are hanging around together. You know, "this is my good friend, we've known each other since 4th grade!" It would serve as an explanation for what you two have in common, and it could put you in a good light despite his doucheyness, as if you see some redeeming qualities in him. This kind of friendship can work in a 'Milo and Otis' sort of way.

14. robertorex

robertorex Senior member

If you're worried, I would just let people know the backstory when you are hanging around together. You know, "this is my good friend, we've known each other since 4th grade!" It would serve as an explanation for what you two have in common, and it could put you in a good light despite his doucheyness, as if you see some redeeming qualities in him. This kind of friendship can work in a 'Milo and Otis' sort of way.

on the contrary, it only deepens the association in people's minds between the douche who gleefully tips 0.00 and you.

15. Another New Yorker

Another New Yorker Senior member

Wait if he think's he's hot shit and rich... when I feel the need to appear generous or powerful (an unfortunate need of my adolescent self), like when I'm on a date, I tend to overtip. Why would he flash that Mercedez while being too cheap to tip a penny? Can he actually not afford it?