• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Technically yesterday...

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perfection

EliodA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Tie too similar in colour/tone to waistcoat/jacket. Beautiful PS choice, though.

I think so too. I would have liked to see the colours of tie and PS swapped around. Too peacocky perhaps, but certainly interesting. As it is now, my eye gets drawn to the PS too much.

Academic2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it's good as it is and happily thumbed it (the suit itself looks terrific; I'd love to know what shoes he's wearing with it), but given the suit and shirt I'd prefer the tie to be the darkest thing in the top block. I'm thinking dark(-ish) brown, but know that I've been obsessing a bit on brown ties of late so that may well be my quirk.

Still well deserving of the thumbs, IMO.

Cheers,

Ac

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Tie too similar in colour/tone to waistcoat/jacket. Beautiful PS choice, though.

Disagree. I think its very successful low constrast combo.

Paging @gdl203!

JapanAlex01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If the tie used the orange in it more predominantly, it would work tonnes better, IMO, as it would give a playful twist to a more-somber suit. The very-similar grey in the tie reminds me of those sick maniacs who wear the same colour tie as their shirt as their suit. Aside from that, it's a great-looking suit, and, like I said, the PS is a perfect choice--which is quite surprising, really, as most people get it wrong in this thread.

Last edited:

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That tie looks like some bleach fell on it. That collar is ******* awesome though.

EliodA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Disagree. I think its very successful low constrast combo.

Paging @gdl203 !

First things first: it is a very, very good fit and an awesome suit. But, since it is so good, it's more interesting to nit pick... It would have been a very succesful low contrast combo with a more subdued PS. Now, the PS stands out amid all the muted colours and draws too much attention to itself.

If the tie used the orange in it more predominantly, it would work tonnes better, IMO, as it would give a playful twist to a more-somber suit. The very-similar grey in the tie reminds me of those sick maniacs who wear the same colour tie as their shirt as their suit. Aside from that, it's a great-looking suit, and, like I said, the PS is a perfect choice--which is quite surprising, really, as most people get it wrong in this thread.

I agree with this, in the sense that the tie could do with a more playful twist. That's why I posted my initial comment. But I don't think the PS is the perfect choice as explained above. Since you are convinced that most people get it wrong, can you please explain why you think the PS choice is perfect here?

JapanAlex01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, most people get pocket squares wrong, as they often pick the wrong material for the suit, or use colours that are far too bright, to go with an otherwise muted look. Neon silk is never, ever a good choice for a PS, IMO, but you seem them quite a lot in here. To each their own but it's what's behind it which is important to me (material matching and colour theory).

The reason I think his PS is a perfect choice is because purple is by far the best colour to match to that suit, when used in small doses i.e. with a PS (it may not work as well, when used for the tie). The brown in the PS goes with the grey, too. The material is one of a number of choices, but is not the wrong material. It complements the weight of the suit material and the Herringbone, IMO.

Last edited:

EliodA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, most people get pocket squares wrong, as they often pick the wrong material for the suit, or use colours that are far too bright, to go with an otherwise muted look. Neon silk is never, ever a good choice for a PS, IMO, but you seem them quite a lot in here. To each their own but it's what's behind it which is important to me (material matching and colour theory).

The reason I think his PS is a perfect choice is because purple is by far the best colour to match to that suit, when used in small doses i.e. with a PS (it may not work as well, when used for the tie). The brown in the PS goes with the grey, too. The material is one of a number of choices, but is not the wrong material. It complements the weight of the suit material, IMO.

Thanks for your reply. I agree with almost all of it, except I think because of that dash of purple, the PS just stands out too much among all the muted colours. If indeed the tie had more orange as you suggested, that would balance things out more and the eye would still be drawn more to the wearer's face. Isn't what is happening in this fit exactly what you write: that the colours of the PS are too bright to go with an otherwise muted look?

(Apologies if detailed discussion like this derails the thread too much, I just happen to think this an interesting subject)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads