• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

EFV

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I was there too (if only for a short while):

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
EFV dad ruelz, u guyz also look very similar!

heldentenor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the discussion is over at this point but I completely disagree with this statement. When we purchase clothing that we want to keep in pristine condition, it takes 1) time, and 2) money to do that. Relative to the price of the item, the monetary cost may be very little. But the time - oh boy the time. Brushing my trousers, sportcoats, and suits after each wearing takes time. Polishing and condition shoes takes lots of time. Ironing your shirts takes lots of time. Time that I'd rather be doing other things with, such as being with my family, cooking a nice meal, grabbing lunch with a friend, reading, looking at the amazing pics members post here, etc. It is not worth my time to do any maintenance other than brush my clothes and tree my shoes so I pay people to do the rest. My goal is to have much free time(to do as I will) as possible and looking slightly better in the clothing that I love(love) is not worth the time with which I'd rather be doing other and better things. Time isn't free; it is more expensive to maintain all your clothing and apparel on your own than it is to pay someone to do some/all of it.

Same reason people do their own yards, clean their own houses, wash their own cars, and cook their own meals every day(just cooking) - they can't pay someone else to do it every time it's inconvenient to do it themselves. They're not living their lives in such a way that allows them to have expendable income to pay for the things they probably wouldn't do if given a choice, so that they can free up their time for more important stuff.

I get it. Clothing isn't a commodity to me, but it is for lots of people. The act of caring for it is as important to me as the wearing of it. Others can, will, and should disagree, but I would walk barefoot before I'd pay someone to care for my shoes and go shirtless before I'd pay someone to iron my shirts.
Quote:
This is the most myopic thing I've read on StyleForum, and that's saying a great deal. It indicts everyone who might care about craft and not see life in a Richard Branson-esque, time=money equivalency. Cooking is love, it's craft, it's pride; my grandmother taught me that. So is ironing a shirt. Then again, her net worth wouldn't impress you.

Last edited:

forbritisheyes

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I get it. Clothing isn't a commodity to me, but it is for lots of people. The act of caring for it is as important to me as the wearing of it. Others can, will, and should disagree, but I would walk barefoot before I'd pay someone to care for my shoes and go shirtless before I'd pay someone to iron my shirts.

This is the most myopic thing I've read on StyleForum, and that's saying a great deal. It indicts everyone who might care about craft and not see life in a Richard Branson-esque, time=money equivalency. Cooking is love, it's craft, it's pride; my grandmother taught me that. So is ironing a shirt. Then again, her net worth wouldn't impress you.
1st paragraph:
Clothing is very important to me as well. If you knew me, you'd know how meticulous I am. My dad always asks "why do you bring your shoe trees with you?" when I take off my dress shoes anytime i take them off for more than 3h. It takes 5 mins because I am just so particular about stuff. I pick hair/lint of any time I see it on my coats/pants. I really care about my stuff. Even the most imperceptible scuffs bug me. This will not stop me from paying for someone else to shine my shoes(among other things) because I have stuff in my life that is more important to me than enjoying a nice drink while caring for my shoes.

2nd:
If you understand the context, it's not and I don't want you to take it that way. I do not devalue that many people do things out of passion, like my grandfather tends to his garden.

Quick question before I get into it: what do you do to produce income? Rephrased: how are you making your $?

@Caustic Man
@NickPollica
I am always inclined to listen to the person that is an expert in something and has fruit on the tree to show for it vs a knowledgeable spectator. Which is why I think Sports analysts are stupid(most of them). They can critique but can't get onto the court themselves/don't have the current experience to back up what they're saying.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He prints money in his mahogany lined home office.

heldentenor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1st paragraph:
Clothing is very important to me as well. If you knew me, you'd know how meticulous I am. My dad always asks "why do you bring your shoe trees with you?" when I take off my dress shoes anytime i take them off for more than 3h. It takes 5 mins because I am just so particular about stuff. I pick hair/lint of any time I see it on my coats/pants. I really care about my stuff. Even the most imperceptible scuffs bug me. This will not stop me from paying for someone else to shine my shoes(among other things) because I have stuff in my life that is more important to me than enjoying a nice drink while caring for my shoes.

2nd:
If you understand the context, it's not and I don't want you to take it that way. I do not devalue that many people do things out of passion, like my grandfather tends to his garden.

Quick question before I get into it: what do you do to produce income? Rephrased: how are you making your $?

1st paragraph: I said the care and maintenance of clothing--the act of doing so--is as important to me as the clothing itself. I never indicated that you don't care about your clothes, but you've explicitly said you would rather pay someone to shine your shoes. I would rather shine them myself. That's where we disagree.

2nd paragraph: You provided zero context. You simply made a broad, ungrounded assertion that people who do manual things must do them because they can't pay others to do so. I like polishing my shoes. You don't. We both like polished shoes. What context can you offer that will help equate those positions?

Stitchy, you've seen my office walls. You know they ain't mahogany. To your deeper point: it's because I'm poor by SF standards that I iron my shirts and shine my shoes. I could explain it, but it's better suited to Clags' now-defunct "Clothing and Perception" thread, I think.

Last edited:

Tirailleur1

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

We're you there? Like a Vietnam vet, I was there (maaaan) and it was horrible. Every decade has its pros, cons and horror shows but you might be viewing the past through rose tinted glasses there. If you peruse 'typical' style images such as magazine layouts and clothing ads there are things from the seventies that have no business in any stylish man's wardrobe. Four button chest high waist bands, platform shoes, bell bottoms, huge lapels and shirt collars (and fat ties), egregious colours and patterns, most of which, despite the efforts of some hipster types, have thankfully never been seen since. And that's before we get to the hair, sideburns and Appreciation tashes.

Dude. U just described a style god.

forbritisheyes

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
1st paragraph: I said the care of clothing is as important to me as the clothing itself. I never indicated that you don't care about your clothes, but you've explicitly said you would rather pay someone to shine your shoes. I would rather shine them myself. That's where we disagree.

2nd paragraph: You provided zero context. You simply made a broad, ungrounded assertion that people who do manual things must do them because they can't pay others to do so. I like polishing my shoes. You don't. We both like polished shoes. What context can you offer that will help equate those positions?

Stitchy, you've seen my office walls. You know they ain't mahogany. To your deeper point: it's because I'm poor by SF standards that I iron my shirts and shine my shoes. I could explain it, but it's better suited to Clags' now-defunct "Clothing and Perception" thread, I think.
1st: No, I actually got that. I never interpreted what you said as I dont' care about mine either. Yes, I did say I'd rather pay someone because the energy and time that go into it for me isn't worth whatever benefits come from doing it myself(same for everything else).

2nd: Yes, I did, but I think you read too far into it and made assumptions(understandably) that what I said was an asinine blanket statement. What I'm saying is this(and then we can get back to enjoying fit pics): For those that do NOT enjoy or get excited at the thought of cleaning the pool, keeping the yard clean and trimmed, scrubbing toilets, vacuuming the house, cleaning upholstery, cleaning and folding the laundry, etc., they do it primarily cause they cannot afford someone else to do it. I watched my dad do all this for years and I will soon hire help for him and my mom so that they can go live instead of busying themselves with this nonsense.

"To your deeper point: it's because I'm poor by SF standards that I iron my shirts and shine my shoes."
It's because I have been in your shoes that I completely understand why you do it and why most people do those things I mentioned. I think you took it personally. Of interesting note, If you read that threak one member made, he polled(1000?) members and their annual gross income. You'd be surprised what the results were.

My friend LOVES to cook. She is one of the best cooks I know and use to own an successful restaurant(closed it due to time consumption). But she, like I, would rather pay someone to cook her meals each week when she doesn't feel like cooking. There are just days where she is tired and doesnt' want to go thru te hassle of shopping, prep, cooking, cleaning,etc. And she only works 20h/week.

She'd rather pay someone a few grand a month to do all that for her, and for folks to do most of the stuff in er house so that she can be chore-free to do what she loves most: be a great mother and wife.

I'm just talking about leveraging your $ to have more time. I know that if I had a choice and were in your shoes and had your preferences, I would pay people to do the stuff I didn't want to do and do the things I love to do: care for my shoes, clothes, learn to iron my shirts like John Francombe, stuff like that.

I'm not trying to force my priorities onto anyone. I just won't be the person that spends his free time washing/polishing and vacuuming his car for 2h each weekend(like my neighbor) or spend a few hours each month maintaining my shoes. I'd rather watch a movie with my family or do something more fun according to my priorities. I think most people's priorities are out of whack across the nation, but that's a whole diff discussion. But it's also cause I don't sell my time for another man's $/paycheck on a daily basis and am in a different paradigm than most people. If you want a better understanding of where I come from, read the The Millionaire Mind. Fantastic book.

Back to fit pics!

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads