• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jcmeyer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I personally feel like the 90s were the best years of my sartorial life:

For me, 1985 :nodding:

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Cool pic. But I will never want to be a client of you...

Yeah those glasses. EEK!
You're on a hiding to nothing with comments like this on the SF RTC. Saturday Night Fever lapels are almost universally jizzed over while anything than can remotely be considered 'slim' let alone ' skinny' is gonna be the subject of almost universal derision. That's one of the unfortunate maxims that have evolved on SF, mores the pity. I remember the seventies as the decade that style forgot, and we should not go there again!

I don't like skinny lapels, but I don't understand those that are so big that you can't see the pocket square other than for the little blob that's visible disrupting the lapel sitting flush on the suit. That's next isn't it? No vis pocket squares other than by the 'texture' visible underneath the lapel?

I'm being a bit hyperbolic and I like some of the bigger lapels, but why not alter the location of the pocket a smidge?

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're welcome, SeaJen.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you fellas want to continue this, please make a discussion thread instead of trolling this one

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I used to pay people to shine my shoes. I stopped after joining SF. I enjoy shining shoes. I'm going to break into NickP's house at night and shine his shoes. He's going to wake up one day and exclaim "who the **** shined my shoes?!" Then he's going to ask "where the **** is my underwear?"

On eBay, NickP. They will be on eBay

-------

Also, some people are raised not to hire help for domestic duties. So it isn't an issue of enjoying scrubbing toilets or being unable to pay someone else to scrub for them. Probably a bunch of other things which explain why we don't necessarily pay people to do things for us that we don't want to do for ourselves.

Last edited:

forbritisheyes

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I used to pay people to shine my shoes. I stopped after joining SF. I enjoy shining shoes. I'm going to break into NickP's house at night and shine his shoes. He's going to wake up one day and exclaim "who the **** shined my shoes?!" Then he's going to ask "where the **** is my underwear."

On eBay, NickP. They will be on eBay
I fear for NickP's life...and his underwear.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Last edited:

forbritisheyes

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Quote: Didn't see this til now. Definitely true. I believe that will change to an extent as those cultural elements will gradually disappear throughout the generations that succeed them. To an extent and for some and not for others, depending on the cultural landscape, etc. etc.

But it's just a thinking and mindset at the heart of it all. I was raised nor accustomed to thinking as I do now, and slowly realized the potential to have more control of my time and life as I decided providing someone a job or creating a job would give me more flexibility. In the end, it's a way of operating and thinking that can be broken through/uprooted, if he/she chooses. For the record(although not comparing apples to apples), I am first generation in this country and my parents always thought it'd be some lawyer, MD/surgeon, or engineer. I went a very different route instead and did not live out the expectations many Vietnamese folks have for their kids, what with all the opportunity in this country. I'd argue it's very cultural for them(specifically Asians, but this applies to many immigrants) to push their children to do their best and work their way into the upper echelon of the income bracket to attain a status-y job/career. But like others, we don't have to adhere to certain elements of our culture.

*I miss your old avatar. Now I have to look for your name to recognize you.
So! how much are you starting the bid on the first pair of underwear you "acquire"?

Last edited:

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'll probably change it back. I was proud of the sketch. But then Stitchy thought I used an app to do it. Which takes some of the magic away from it. So. Orwell will return soon

forbritisheyes

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'll probably change it back. I was proud of the sketch. But then Stitchy thought I used an app to do it. Which takes some of the magic away from it. So. Orwell will return soon
Whatever makes you happy, Clags. What we say/posit/think has no bearing on that.

It is quite good. I thought someone sketched you while you sat on a chair for 2h :3

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im too lazy to shine my shoes on the reg.

Leave the sketch, Clags.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads