• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Actually, what bothers me the most...and this actually bothers me about all my photos...is that I face away from the middle of the screen. I've seriously considered repositioning the tripod and everything to remedy this, but I think that change would also bother me a bit. I may see about flipping the avatar and see how I feel about it.

forbritisheyes

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Actually, what bothers me the most...and this actually bothers me about all my photos...is that I face away from the middle of the screen. I've seriously considered repositioning the tripod and everything to remedy this, but I think that change would also bother me a bit. I may see about flipping the avatar and see how I feel about it.
I have a question. As I just realized pics I've seen on this forum are yours(for I rarely look at the poster), do your button stances sit pretty high? You sit with your jacket buttoned often and I am curious.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I have a few full around here.

The two SuSu jackets I have are pretty low since I get them in longs. I have a Howard Yount RTW. I think that has the highest buttoning point. Then three mtm cuts and one bespoke cut

MTM Tailor 2, Cut 1

MTM Tailor 2, Cut 2 (slightly lower, wider lapels)

Last edited:

forbritisheyes

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I have a few full around here.

The two SuSu jackets I have are pretty low since I get them in longs. I have a Howard Yount RTW. I think that has the highest buttoning point. Then three mtm cuts and one bespoke cut

MTM Tailor 2, Cut 1

MTM Tailor 2, Cut 2 (slightly lower, wider lapels)
I really like how you have your trousers made. Particularly the last one. It looks to have the largest opening but the silhouette of the trou look fitted in the most proper way. We just need to hike your trousers up higher
fing02[1].gif

Nah, they all look great. The brown suit looks great, blue one being my favorite. Maybe cause the shoes(they look like Carmina).

I tried looking up SuSu, waht is that? A NY tailoring firm?

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have people who read clothing forums for me and post on my behalf. Because,
Wait a minute. Does this mean that only a bunch of servants read my posts? Why, I never.

jcmeyer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was on guard duty with @Mr. Six today, with a new square from ET. Navy cashmere/wool blazer was a ninety bucks from Uniqlo so although it's a bit too short, and has some other minor issues, I think it works pretty well. I changed out the buttons when I had it tailored.

EliodA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry @jcmeyer but I don't think this jacket works for you. Not only is it too short, it looks too small overall. Combined with your traditionally cut trousers, you end up with rather awkward proportions and your head looks unusually large.

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I, too, have greatly enjoyed this debate. I certainly believe there are rules to CM, but I think some of the dispute has been how one interprets "rule". Some see them as regulations (inviolate) while others see them as guidelines and heuristics, and therefore evolutionary and dynamic. Some see them as analytically derived, while others see them as empirically discovered, . Still others see them as dictum while others see them as social/cultural norms that emerge organically within the social group.

The closest analogy I can think of is the work of the architect Chris Alexander. He wrote 3 books in the 70s on recurring "patterns" in successful (attractive, harmonious, enjoyable to live within) buildings and built environments (One being A Timeless Way of Building - especially for Tira). These patterns were distilled from his study of building over centuries and formed a pattern language through which people could communicate complex ideas in terse terms. An example is 4 story limit - limit the height of buildings in a residential community to 4 stories. His ideas are not widely adopted in architecture,
but they were picked up with gusto in the computer science community as they were struggling with the design and architecture of massively complex systems and sought heuristics to help guide the process.

The upshot of all this is that I see the rules of dressings as heuristics collectively learned through experience over time which then emerge as norms within a given group. As in many complex systems, some of these rules can be in tension in a given situation, and priorities come into effect and thus some rules get broken, but it is only the expert who knows when it is the right time to break a given rule. He understands the consequences of the break, because he knows (if only subconsciously) the rules that he is breaking. Hence, it is the realm of the expert to break rules. Novices need first to learn and apply them.

Chris Alexander is a legend! I'd love to discuss him in the Architecture Thread.
You amaze me with the computer sci angle.

A bit rusty today:

That roks PoP. How would u describe the feel and weight of the shantung?

I was on guard duty with @Mr. Six today, with a new square from ET. Navy cashmere/wool blazer was a ninety bucks from Uniqlo so although it's a bit too short, and has some other minor issues, I think it works pretty well. I changed out the buttons when I had it tailored.

Hired!

Last edited:

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry @jcmeyer but I don't think this jacket works for you. Not only is it too short, it looks too small overall. Combined with your traditionally cut trousers, you end up with rather awkward proportions and your head looks unusually large.

Speaking as someone who has a thick neck and sloping shoulders, perhaps JCM u could try higher collars and wider lapels.

I agree with EliodA that a slightly looser fit would be flattering. Again, nice fit.

Butler

Reaction score

Afternoon, I recently made myself a navy 3-piece suit, wide notch lapel, hand pleated shoulder, the works. I tried something new with a double breasted vest and so far so good, thinking I might try going little longer on the vest my next go round, or just raise up the rise on my pants. @EFV inspired me with those forward pleated pants, that might have to be my next experiment. ]
Don't leave the bottom button on a DB waistcoat unbuttoned! :bigstar:

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A bit rusty today:
LL
That roks PoP. How would u describe the feel and weight of the shantung?
Thanks mate. The shantung is a great tie (from @Henry Carter - as is the pocket hank). Dry and slubby hand as you'd expect from shantung silk, but being untipped keeps the tie light and allows for well-proportioned knots. It's a good year-round tie IMO.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads