• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

GrantStone

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
After a nice break-in and two days in the Ottawas, I realized something: What's a quality review without a pic? I'll try for a better look when I have a moment, but here's an Ottawa boot walking back to a training session from lunch on a cold Saturday, down in suburban Atlanta:

View attachment 906046

Those pants :cheers:

FistofFurySC

Reaction score
Is the longwing in black calf & antique edge stain being discontinued? I thought I remembered hearing that it was being phased out and replaced, but I don't know if it was this model or a different one. I ask because my size has been out of stock since the Black Friday sale. If it is being replaced, what's replacing it?

GrantStone

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Is the longwing in black calf & antique edge stain being discontinued? I thought I remembered hearing that it was being phased out and replaced, but I don't know if it was this model or a different one. I ask because my size has been out of stock since the Black Friday sale. If it is being replaced, what's replacing it?

This model won't be restocked for the time being. We would like to introduce some different leathers and colors, sticking with only one black longwing for now which has the black welts and edge stain.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
OMG!!! Grant Stone Rocks!!! Not less than 10 minutes after placing my order for Black Ottawa's, I got a shipping notification from both GS and UPS. This is way beyond what I expected. I figured - Friday- late afternoon, they will get to it Monday morning. WAY TO GO GS!!!!!!! Now, the wait for Rubber soled boots.....

Milksteakboiledhard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Waiting for rubber sole boots to be put up on website, and got worried that leather sole may not be around, so ordered a pair of black Ottawa's just to be sure I got them before all leather sole gone. Grant Stone collection is growing.......

OMG!!! Grant Stone Rocks!!! Not less than 10 minutes after placing my order for Black Ottawa's, I got a shipping notification from both GS and UPS. This is way beyond what I expected. I figured - Friday- late afternoon, they will get to it Monday morning. WAY TO GO GS!!!!!!! Now, the wait for Rubber soled boots.....

Nice pick up, my Ottawas came flawless and fit perfect on the first wear. They are definitely quick to process orders too, which is a giant bonus.

I regret missing out on this shoe too (I bought the Ottawas in there place). Given the lack of formality in my day-to-day wear, the antiqued edge/welt would've increased how often I wore them. If its any constellation for you, the British Tan LWB is a killer shoe - so buy it if you have a spot in your rotation for that color.

jcatl

Reaction score
I've been lurking far too long...

I'm considering placing an order but was curious if anyone can compare the Leo fit with Alden's TruBalance last? I have a 9D Barrie Chukka (feels a bit narrow) and 9D TruBalance cordovan plain-toe boot which is roomier and more comfortable. I've been advised to stick with my Brannock, 9.5D, or go with Leo 9E. I trust the guys from GS who've advised me thus far but any additional opinions would be appreciated.

When fitting for the 9D Barrie Chukka, the 9.5D (my Brannock size) was way too large so I am concerned about ordering that in the Leo.

Thanks in advance...

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I'm considering placing an order but was curious if anyone can compare the Leo fit with Alden's TruBalance last? I have a 9D Barrie Chukka (feels a bit narrow) and 9D TruBalance cordovan plain-toe boot which is roomier and more comfortable. I've been advised to stick with my Brannock, 9.5D, or go with Leo 9E. I trust the guys from GS who've advised me thus far but any additional opinions would be appreciated.

When fitting for the 9D Barrie Chukka, the 9.5D (my Brannock size) was way too large so I am concerned about ordering that in the Leo.

Thanks in advance...
I have both GS and Alden in TruBalance, they fit very similar. The GS seems a bit tighter in the heel (which I like) but both are same size 9D, I think you will find the Leo last very comfortable. I notice a bit of a difference between the Alden and GS, both are comfortable, wear all day, type of shoes- but the GS seems to "hug" my foot a bit better.

FistofFurySC

Reaction score
This model won't be restocked for the time being. We would like to introduce some different leathers and colors, sticking with only one black longwing for now which has the black welts and edge stain.

Ahh, bummer. I regret not pulling the trigger on them when I had the chance. But from the wording, it sounds like they may come back eventually?

I regret missing out on this shoe too (I bought the Ottawas in there place). Given the lack of formality in my day-to-day wear, the antiqued edge/welt would've increased how often I wore them. If its any constellation for you, the British Tan LWB is a killer shoe - so buy it if you have a spot in your rotation for that color.

The British Tan is indeed nice, but a black longwing has been a shoe that I've been looking to add to my collection, and I'm kicking myself for hemming and hawing when I had the chance.

GrantStone

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

You got a little lucky! Randy (my Dad) was inspecting the rubber soles tonight at the warehouse and saw your order come in just before he left. Hope you like them!

Ahh, bummer. I regret not pulling the trigger on them when I had the chance. But from the wording, it sounds like they may come back eventually?

Not sure at this point. We like this combination because it isn't as common but it didn't really do that well. When talking to a lot of customers, they felt it was hard to dress up with because of the contrast welts but yet its not that casual since its a black calf longwing. Kind of falls somewhere in the middle which is why we liked it for a business casual make up.

Last edited:

FistofFurySC

Reaction score
Not sure at this point. We like this combination because it isn't as common but it didn't really do that well. When talking to a lot of customers, they felt it was hard to dress up with because of the contrast welts but yet its not that casual since its a black calf longwing. Kind of falls somewhere in the middle which is why we liked it for a business casual make up

The contrast welt is why I liked them! I thought it straddled the line just fine between casual and formal. I already had a couple of all-black shoes for more formal affairs, so I had been in the market to find one that was more casual and versatile.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks in advance...

Hmm... Off the top of my head it sounds like 9E to me - was their recommendation either 9E or 9.5D? I'd go with what they recommend - they know their stuff.

jcatl

Reaction score
Hmm... Off the top of my head it sounds like 9E to me - was their recommendation either 9E or 9.5D? I'd go with what they recommend - they know their stuff.
That's exactly what they recommended. The Dune Ottawas are only available in D but new rubber soled options will offer an E so decisions, decisions...

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads