• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

GrantStone

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Will you have any photos of the new styles up soon?

Sure, here is a photo of each!

2017-11-18 15.08.10 copy.jpg
2017-11-18 15.10.04-1 copy.jpg
2017-11-18 15.11.05-1 copy copy.jpg
2017-11-18 15.11.05-1 copy.jpg

andrewro

Reaction score
Greetings from an infrequent poster here.

A question for the narrow-footed gentlemen - I've emailed some with Wyatt and wanted to ask the hive mind as well. I am interested in GS and in a higher quality boot in general. I measure as a 10.5B and my best fitting shoes are vintage Florsheim Imperials in 10.5B (and one pair of 10.5C, within acceptable range). My Wolverine 1000 Mile and Clark's Desert boots are both 9.5 US. Anyone in a B width wearing the Leo last? Wyatt also suggested trying a full size down as an option, of course this puts the length of the boot into play.

This thread is great! Thanks to all who've contributed.

Following up on my narrow fit issue, and quoting my earlier post for background.

On Wyatt’s recommendation, and based on my other boot sizes (see above) I ordered the Ottawa in a 9.5D. I’m happy to report the the fit is great. It’s close to my vintage Florsheim Imperials in 10.5B; though somewhat wider, the length is spot on for me.

I use the Hapad 3/4 wool insert for plantar fasciitis. My feet are narrow and somewhat flat. Without the insert, the quarters close completely at the 4th (topmost) hole and the boot is a hair loose, but with the inserts the tightness and closing of the quarters is just right.

I’ll add that when I was looking at these and some other boots, I kept coming back to the black CXL. I’ve never been that into black but there’s such a depth to the black CXL, and it almost has a silvery-blue glow to it in certain light. This, along with the subtle contrasting edges, hardware, and the vintage off-white toe stitching makes this boot a real visual treat.

There’s a lot of talk about wider fitment here, but if you have narrow feet I wouldn’t be discouraged. Reach out to GS and discuss your other well-fitting footwear and see what may work for you.

And thanks to Wyatt, he was very insightful and gracious in his communications, and I wish GS the best for 2018!

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Been wearing my Diesels out in the rain for the last couple of days. Been through puddles and gravel and mud and they’re looking better and better by the day. :)

View attachment 905536
Looking good, boots should be boots! Switched this afternoon to Crimson Diesels to give them some wear. Really looking forward to new rubber sole Diesels!
IMG_1717.jpg

GrantStone

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Following up on my narrow fit issue, and quoting my earlier post for background.

On Wyatt’s recommendation, and based on my other boot sizes (see above) I ordered the Ottawa in a 9.5D. I’m happy to report the the fit is great. It’s close to my vintage Florsheim Imperials in 10.5B; though somewhat wider, the length is spot on for me.

I use the Hapad 3/4 wool insert for plantar fasciitis. My feet are narrow and somewhat flat. Without the insert, the quarters close completely at the 4th (topmost) hole and the boot is a hair loose, but with the inserts the tightness and closing of the quarters is just right.

I’ll add that when I was looking at these and some other boots, I kept coming back to the black CXL. I’ve never been that into black but there’s such a depth to the black CXL, and it almost has a silvery-blue glow to it in certain light. This, along with the subtle contrasting edges, hardware, and the vintage off-white toe stitching makes this boot a real visual treat.

There’s a lot of talk about wider fitment here, but if you have narrow feet I wouldn’t be discouraged. Reach out to GS and discuss your other well-fitting footwear and see what may work for you.

And thanks to Wyatt, he was very insightful and gracious in his communications, and I wish GS the best for 2018!

Thanks so much for the kind words and sharing this here. We have had quite a few questions about the fit from the narrower, B or C customers so this helps.

ramses smuckles

Reaction score
Is Castagno the dark brown veg tan leather shown at the top of this page? I do like the look of it, but I prefer the sheen of Chromexcel and the way it ages to veg tan. I doubt I would pick Casatagno if I had to choose between it and Chromexcel.

Having said that, the Castagno is still what I would call a warm brown. What I meant by cool brown is something without a red undertone, like this:
tumblr_inline_n7ff2pT4NN1qfex1b.jpg

Of your current lineup only the Dune fits the bill, IMO, but it's a bit too light to me.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is Castagno the dark brown veg tan leather shown at the top of this page? I do like the look of it, but I prefer the sheen of Chromexcel and the way it ages to veg tan. I doubt I would pick Casatagno if I had to choose between it and Chromexcel.

Having said that, the Castagno is still what I would call a warm brown. What I meant by cool brown is something without a red undertone, like this:
tumblr_inline_n7ff2pT4NN1qfex1b.jpg

Of your current lineup only the Dune fits the bill, IMO, but it's a bit too light to me.
The Dune I have is definitely more of a mid-brown than pix show (cameras want to warm and redden leather for some reason).

This is pretty close to true for my pair:
KKhufAe.jpg

ramses smuckles

Reaction score
Yep, that's how I imagined it looks like. I've got a pair of Cxl loafers in a similar colour. I do like it but I'd also like to see something a bit darker and richer without any reddish undertones.

GrantStone

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Yep, that's how I imagined it looks like. I've got a pair of Cxl loafers in a similar colour. I do like it but I'd also like to see something a bit darker and richer without any reddish undertones.

We might to do something like this in a calf leather for a couple SKU. Right now we don't have a brown calf and its next on the list for core leathers. That being said. the soonest may be late 2018.

andrewro

Reaction score
After a nice break-in and two days in the Ottawas, I realized something: What's a quality review without a pic? I'll try for a better look when I have a moment, but here's an Ottawa boot walking back to a training session from lunch on a cold Saturday, down in suburban Atlanta:

IMG_5534.JPG

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads